News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Setup for Shore Power with a Inverter/Charger Advice

Started by FishAddict, December 05, 2023, 10:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishAddict

I'm working on gathering parts to redo the SeaSport's electrical system this winter.  Since I will be slipping the boat at Westport I'll probably setup a minimal shore power so I can charge the house batteries, run a heater/de-humidfier, cabin LED light and possibly an inverter 2000 watt so I can have coffee and maybe a microwave while commercial fishing offshore(hopefully).  I haven't got around to making a diagram yet but I'll start working on that soon.  I have looked at the system that Walt did and I'm thinking something similar with the addition of the inverter/charger and possibly a galvanic isolator (I'm not sure I have enough room for a isolation transformer).  What Blue Sea Breaker Panel would you use?  My current batteries are in the stern two interstate group 27.  I'm thinking a additional two group 31 AGM in parallel battery bank in the cabin near the inverter.  I'm also interested in opinions on my DC negative buss and a separate bonding system setup since I'll be slipping.  I have never installed a bonding setup since I have always trailered my past boats. 

Here are a few of the pre made panels I was looking at:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/8101/ELCI_Main_30A_Double_Pole_%2B_2_Positions

https://www.bluesea.com/products/8043/Traditional_Metal_Panel_-_AC_Main_%2B_3_Positions_AC_Voltmeter

https://www.bluesea.com/products/8099/AC_Main_%2B_4_Positions

21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

FishAddict

Here is a diagram of what I'm thinking about, but I'm hoping to do it with just one panel instead of two.

Batsquatch

Back when I had my Arima (still totally miss her), I went with the ELCI breaker panel.  Rumors that some marinas require the extra protection made me go that route.  Besides, it just makes good safety sense.  I never had any issues with Blue Sea's version.  One suggestion on the AC outlets.  Here's a couple pics of where I installed some that worked out quite well for running space heaters, power tools, whatever, with one under the helm and one toward SB stern.  I never had any problem with the semi-waterproof enclosures.
The end result of my rewiring looks pretty much like your draft drawing minus the subpanel.  I never had a need for the additional breakers.

Jeff a.k.a Batsquatch
Formerly 19' Sea Ranger
Currently Wellcraft Coastal 270

GregE

Jake, I have heavy duty and moderate crimpers, wire cutters, etc if you need them.
G
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

FishAddict

Quote from: Batsquatch on December 06, 2023, 02:22:33 AMBack when I had my Arima (still totally miss her), I went with the ELCI breaker panel.  Rumors that some marinas require the extra protection made me go that route.  Besides, it just makes good safety sense.  I never had any issues with Blue Sea's version.  One suggestion on the AC outlets.  Here's a couple pics of where I installed some that worked out quite well for running space heaters, power tools, whatever, with one under the helm and one toward SB stern.  I never had any problem with the semi-waterproof enclosures.
The end result of my rewiring looks pretty much like your draft drawing minus the subpanel.  I never had a need for the additional breakers.

Thanks for the pics.  I'm assuming you never setup an inverter just shore power?

Batsquatch

Thanks for the pics.  I'm assuming you never setup an inverter just shore power?
[/quote]

Correct and sorry I didn't mention that, no inverter; just a hardwired charger.  I'm sure someone on the board can recommend a good place for one. 
Jeff a.k.a Batsquatch
Formerly 19' Sea Ranger
Currently Wellcraft Coastal 270

Tunacious

Fish Addict
FYI
Since I posted that post about my onshore power set up I moved my batteries and my chargers.
Chargers are just inside the cuddy and the batteries are inside the box under my seat.
Electrical is probably my weakest but everything works great.
I'm happy about moving my batteries and my onboard chargers.
Where my chargers are at now they stay dry and when I get on my boat it's a perfect place to check to make sure my batteries are charged before unplugging.

AJFishin

I just went through and rewired my solar power system in my travel trailer. I learned a good amount, not enough to say I'm an expert or even close, I just ate breakfast at a Holiday Inn lol, but I'll share what I learned to hopefully get the creative thoughts flowing.

First make sure you only buy a "pure sine inverter", do not buy a modified.
Definitely list everything you'll need first, then get measurements of the devices you will need, and make sure they will fit in the areas you're planning on installing them, and make a wiring diagram.

Prior to me doing a rewire I was going to upgrade my system from a 1000W pass through inverter to a 2000W inverter/charger so I could use my microwave, but decided to keep my 1000W system since I don't see us going off grid.
With my setup I have a Progressive Dynamics pass through inverter and a Progressive Dynamics converter/charger to charge my lithium batteries.

Anyway in my research when I was looking to replace the Progressive Dynamics equipment, I found Renogy makes a very nice inverter/charger that usually goes on sale for $480 and their customer service is pretty good. I don't believe you will get more for your dollar if you went with another manufacturer and with Renogy they make everything so it's kind of a one stop shop which also makes installation a bit easier. To add there are countless YouTube videos on how to set up a basic Renogy system to help get you started.
Here's that inverter/charger: https://a.co/d/4izP048

A 2000W inverter is a good size to get and will be able to run a lot electronics with it, but you have remember you wouldn't want to run a lot of devices at the same time.
One thing to keep in mind is this inverter/charger is big and a bit heavy, so location on where to put it and have enough space to run cables needs to be considered.
As you can see with Tunacious batteries, you need adequate space to keep 2 batteries on board for your solar power.

For solar panels, Renogy makes suitcase solar panels, but they're very heavy, but they also make flexible and foldable panels that are nice and lighter, but do a lot of research in finding what panels will work best for your setup.

You'll also need a charge controller and a shunt. You'll want to use at least 1 or 2 awg cables for your batteries and I believe a 250 amp circuit breaker will work well.

As for a microwave, I would suggest buying one that's max output wattage is 1000W or less.
From my understanding, when your microwave first turns on, there's going to be a huge rush of power it will need that could be around 1500W. So getting a microwave over 1000W might not work when you go to turn it on.
Walmart sells a nice small 700W and 900W compact microwaves that will work well. You might also need the bracket for these microwaves so they don't move around.

Also Walmart sells a very nice 5 cup 650W coffee maker for $10 that I have and it makes good cup of coffee.

Mainstays Black 5-Cup Drip Coffee Maker, New
https://www.walmart.com/ip/53056868

Like I said I'm not super experienced with solar and I'm simply giving some ideas that might help you make a plan.

Here's my set up, although it's in my trailer, but again just for reference.
FYI, I chose not to connect my DC-DC, maybe in the future if I find I will need it.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

disposable

nice details^

Quote from: AJFishin on December 08, 2023, 11:06:18 AMAlso Walmart sells a very nice 5 cup 650W coffee maker for $10 that I have and it makes good cup of coffee.
Mainstays Black 5-Cup Drip Coffee Maker, New
https://www.walmart.com/ip/53056868

but just as a side comment off that side comment... how in the world can we make a coffee maker that retails for $10?! like, glass and plastic and electronics and heating and packaging and profit margins... this isn't a prompt to get political, i'm just amazed all around.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

GregE

UPdate???

INquiring minds

Jake- commercial and Sea Sport??
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

FishAddict

Greg,

Yes, I bought a commercial salmon permit and got a SeaSport from my cousin that moved out of state.  I'm in the process of doing an I/O to outboard conversion on the boat and then I'll be doing the rewire and and new electronics.  It's been a journey so far just getting my ducks in a row and starting the company.  I hope to be on the water by June so fingers are crossed that I get my boat back from the fiberglass guy soon and can get busy.

Jake