News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Gave up on tablet to gps conversion

Started by fishmiester, September 13, 2014, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmiester

As some of you will remember, last spring I was  trying to use a tab with android op. system. it worked ok as long as I had wifi coverage. Ok so I did the research on wireless receivers and bought a globalsat bt368 wireless receiver. Cute little guy about half the size of a pack of cigeretts. chardged it up and thought ok, I am ready to go, all I have to do is switch my tab over to accept remote signals. Well guesss what? My cheap tab even running the latest android system will not let me do that. I then bought a  Lowrance color chart plotter. Works fine. I now have a new in the box wireless unit with all accesories I don't need. According to the info that came with the unit, nearly any laptop or pda can be turned into a gps, but you still have to download the appropriate charting program. I am going to put it up for sale in the classifieds, but wanted to share some insight as to why. If anybody is interested in it, PLEASE CHECK THE SETTINGS ON YOUR TAB AND MAKE SURE YOU CAN SWITCH OVER TO RECEIVE REMOTE SIGNALS. Google the info for globalsat bt 368i and you can find info on the unit. Not trying to make any money on this deal, I just don't need it. 50.00 plus a couple bucks for shipping. pm me or respond to post. This particular unit is for Android systems and will not work with i pads.
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

CDRN

I was considering doing something similar with my iPad.

I know LifeProof makes some very cool waterproof cases and mounts for iPads (wife loves hers).  I was considering just LifeProofing my iPad and buying the Navionics chart app and a GPS receiver for the iPad and having a go at it.  I'd just get a new combo unit but right now I need to buy dock blocks and a kicker so maybe an ipad and backup Garmin hand held will have to do for now...   
2012 Stabicraft 1850 Fish'r, 2011 Yamaha 90

Threeweight

When I bought my wife her current tablet, a "must have" on my standard equipment list was built in GPS.  Planning ahead for when it gets passed down to me!   :whistle:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

fishmiester

CDRN: I believe Vancouver Techi is running an I pad, using the Duel brand wireless receiver. From what I have found, they will work with I pads. Maybe check with him.
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

CDRN

Quote from: fishmiester on September 16, 2014, 08:22:47 AM
CDRN: I believe Vancouver Techi is running an I pad, using the Duel brand wireless receiver. From what I have found, they will work with I pads. Maybe check with him.

Thanks!  I think that is the exact setup I'd like to go with. 
2012 Stabicraft 1850 Fish'r, 2011 Yamaha 90

fishorcrab

I bought one of these http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Universal-Bluetooth/dp/B006M49G80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410935527&sr=8-1&keywords=dual+bluetooth+gps after Woody posted about them. Works fine with my wife's iPad 2 w/o cellular and a with variety of GPS apps. 

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

fishing eagle

I am using my iPad with the Bad Elf model BE-GPS-2200 blue tooth wireless GPS unit and the Navionics Boating HD application and I love it!

Bad Elf also has fantastic customer service too. I highly recommend the Bad Elf to be used with an IPad tablet. The Navionics charts are also super.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Rokefin

Planning ahead for when it gets passed down to me!   

I like your mind 3wt - planning ahead and you are always a wealth of knowledge :twocents:

PNW Drifter

Quote from: fishorcrab on September 16, 2014, 11:38:31 PM
I bought one of these http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Universal-Bluetooth/dp/B006M49G80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410935527&sr=8-1&keywords=dual+bluetooth+gps after Woody posted about them. Works fine with my wife's iPad 2 w/o cellular and a with variety of GPS apps. 

Paul

Thank you! I've been wondering if I could do it. I heard I couldn't since I didn't have a iPad with the cell service/true gps. This is great.

What GPS app do you use? There are so many and some are expensive and don't work. I just want a simple one with charts on it. Basically recreate a chart plotter.
Tiderunner 18 - sold | Sea Pacer 17 - sold | Pro-Line 20' Walkaround, Yamaha F150 25" XL, Garmin Electronics, Scotty Stuff

fishorcrab

I bought FlyToMap first but it wants Internet access as it uses Google maps and superimposes depths on the water. It is nice if you have the access because you get the satellite/aerial view of the surrounding area.

In order to have mapping on Odell lake where my saltwater maps Garmin 440S has no depth info. I bought the Navionics US & Canada app.  It allows downloading maps for the area of interest.  It works well and the indicated depths seems to match the Garmin 440s measured depth

As I recall, the Navionics was $60 and FlyToMap was $20. Both are expensive by iPad standards but Street Atlas for Windows used to be much more than $100.

vancouvertechie is the iPad and Android mapping guru here. I'm sure John has some alternatives.
Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

PNW Drifter

I have several ipads but by the time I buy a bluetooth anetnna, waterproof otterbox case, RAM mount, and $50 software I'll pretty much be at the cost of a depth sounder/plotter so I think I'm giving up too.
Tiderunner 18 - sold | Sea Pacer 17 - sold | Pro-Line 20' Walkaround, Yamaha F150 25" XL, Garmin Electronics, Scotty Stuff