News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Halibut fishing

Started by Kimbrey, May 03, 2024, 09:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimbrey

Halibut fishing....as a group of my friends here in Westport jokingly say it's...stoooopid.
I don't take many pictures to post and or don't post much but yesterday was...
A nice weather day, we got our 3 halibut the first drift.  Ran 10-ish miles and got our lings.  Nothing special on size for all of it.
My question is...does one need to go to the gym a month or two before this fishery in order to be able to walk that evening or the next morning (that's a bit of an exaggeration)?  Or is it just my ole 71 soon to be 72 year old bones saying "Even though you think like a 14 year old you ain't.".
Since my boat has a walk-around style of house I did wire a portable battery box so I could stand outside my window to back-troll, IE reach in the window to operate the boats controls and be able to see what my line is doing at the same time.  The Furuno autopilot in Sabiki mode holds a reverse course well but at slow idle speed it's at times too fast so I need to bump the gear shift in and out occasionally but I didn't think to install a rod holder in that area...no rod holder fishing for me yesterday.  3# chunk of lead working on the shoulder blades and small of the back.  Maybe that's why the pain...or maybe I'm just old.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

GregE

Yes to all the above.  Invest in a rod holder.

NIce water / weather day from all reports.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

croaker stroker

It's the old bones. One day fishing takes me three days to recuperate.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Kimbrey

Quote from: GregE on May 03, 2024, 10:23:15 AMYes to all the above.  Invest in a rod holder.

Oh I have the holders......sitting on my bench....Been there for a couple months.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Fishwithsarge

I have a couple of electric Diawa Tanacom 750 reels that plug into my Scotty receptacles. As a "senior" fishing guide with many senior guests as well as my life long fishing spouse, the reels are game changers while bottom fishing. I haven't come across anyone complaining whether reeling up from 100' or 300+'. Just turn it on, leave the rod in the rod holder and crank the last 10' (preset to stop).

Peddler

I have never enjoyed halibut fishing. It's a long day, it's a lot of work, and I'm prone to getting a little "green."  My wife and I like eating it though, and I'm morally opposed to buying seafood (jokingly) so I endure when I'm have the chance.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Kimbrey

Personally I think halibut is overrated.  Halibut meat is too heavy for my tastes.  Give me the choice between P-Cod (Pacific cod) or halibut I'll pick P-cod every time.  My tastes also lean toward some of the various sole with Petrale being at the top.

BigMac

Quote from: GregE on May 03, 2024, 10:23:15 AMYes to all the above.  Invest in a rod holder.

Second the rod holder.  Get good, sturdy ones.  Use to hold the rod waiting for the bite (not recommended if drifting with a "grabby" bottom), fighting/reeling in a fish, and even jigging (using a rod with a lever-action reel). Also using a method of easy retrieval from deep.
At 80+ years old, that and having someone younger along is the only way I am able to survive a hali day.

that_guy_ryry

If anyone needs help with their boats I'm more than willing to do hard labor for fishing time on the big pond.

That was mistyped as yard labor and I guess I would do that too
91 Arima Sea Explorer
90 HP Etec