News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

1996 70hp Evinrude control question

Started by polarbill1999, April 05, 2011, 10:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarbill1999

Hey guys, hopefully someone can hellp me here.  On our controls there is a black knob right below the key that can turn both ways.  What is this knob for?  Some sort of mixture or idle adjust?  I messed with it the other day and now the engine idles like crap. 
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

vxhatch

It's so you can set friction on how easy or hard it is to move the control lever.

Nick
2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman

woody

Brett

The standard, including OMC side controls is:  Key and you push in the key for choke.  There is a level lift for throttle control (this always must be down and locked for gear selection). The little knob underneath, round with an elongated flat area for gripping to turn, is the tension adjustment for the throttle cable and control tension. The only thing beyond that that I know is I have trained myself never to fool with it.  You have just confirmed my training.

If you have screwed it up, and now must "adjust it" the part you lift up for throttle control is attached to a throttle cable that you may be lucky enough to approximate the tension you had prior to playing with it. (Just for reference ... probably would be not reproduceable, mine is set at one to seven o'clock ... don't know how many twist if any because of my training.)

Always remember my training, if you don't know what it is and your motor runs well, keep your cotton picking hands away from it. This is especially true for anything electrical as you well know and I'm sure, tell all your clients.

(Please take the bulk of this in the humor it was intended).

Woody

StreamFixer

Brett

Don't let yourself be snookered.  :whistle:

Woody has no sense of humor.  Take everything he ever says as totally serious.  You don't want to anger him by trying to humor him.  There is no humor in him   :hoboy:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

polarbill1999

Thanks guys.  My father took out the spark plugs and they were pretty wet he said.  That could of just as easily been the problem.  He put in some new Champions so we will give that a shot and see if it helps. 
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke