News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Advice on buying a new Arima

Started by FryFish, November 25, 2020, 09:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liberty Call

Tesoro.  Not true.  My new SC has the "half moon" latches.  Every new boat I saw while I was at the factory had the same.  Didn't see any so called straps. 

Fisherdv

My new boat has half moon latches also. They are fine. Just gotta snug up the screw from time to time.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Tesoro

I saw a pic of a boat being rigged at factory. Didnt dream it up.  It had nylon straps with snaps. who knows.

I have had some top brand sport boats over the years pursuit/mako/whaler/grady and they all had 'quirks' that weren't well thought out. Not unique to Arima.
2009 21HT Yam 150/8 'Hogfish'

I'd rather be drinking in a bar wishing I was on the ocean, than be on the ocean wishing I was in a bar.

Koopa253

No reason to have a float switch/auto bilge as your not mooring. If you decide to change that, my boat came wired for two pumps with one be wired for auto (3 wires), so you should be able to easily add if needed down the road—if you come wired similarly.

I would ask what type of T-nuts are used to secure the pedestal seats to the floor. My thought is they are not using a high quality and stainless steel t-nut (or whatever it is) because they seem to break about 10 years in and there is not a simple fix to correct this. It needs to be done correctly at the factory before the floor is laid.
2006 Arima SeaHunter
2014 Suzuki 60 HP
2018 Suzuki 6 HP

Yachter Yat

FryFish:  Maybe a little late, but this is something else I'd consider sending along for that new boat:   https://sea-dog.com/groups/4099-smart-cleat-stud-mount   These are about 1/4" longer, and 1/8" or so higher than the Herreshhoff's, so they should fit.   In the past, others have wished for 8" cleats, but (unfortunately) the molded cleat recesses on these Arima hulls simply aren't big enough to accommodate that size........at least, that's the way it is on my 16.   

If you've ever accidentally whacked yourself on the butt end of a cleat, you'd probably know why these might be a good alternative.  Additionally (and perhaps arguably) I think those "bulbous" ends might actually serve to provide a bit more line security.  I love those.  Definitely have to have 'em on my own new boat. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

FryFish

Thanks for all the great ideas. I guess it seems that the factory will do very little in terms of customization. I'm not sure if that is normal, because they are slammed, or because I jumped onto a dealer build slot. But since I'll be setting up from scratch, this has all been a big help.

Unfortunately, the process with the dealer has been anything but smooth. So I'm just hoping to get the boat/motor/trailer I want and in time to fish next spring/summer.

Too bad this didn't happen a few years ago when used Arimas existed!
1998 17' SC -- Sold
2021 17' SC - Suzuki 90hp - Yamaha F8

mijo

Fryfish,

I've been watching this thread in hopes that you had better luck than me in customizations. I recently took delivery of a 2021 19sc. It was about a month ago. All I asked for was to have the tach and fuel gauge installed in the same surface as the steering wheel and was told that the factory couldn't customize. I wanted to be able to install a bigger fish finder and not block any of the gauges but oh well. So I was really curious if you are able to customize anything but it sounds like it's coming from the factory and not the dealer. I think customizing a boat is being able to have a list of options to choose from but as for individual placement of things doesn't seem to be possible which I understand. It takes time to make sure that things fit right and that there are no clearance or operational issues. All that takes time to figure out and I can see that a factory can't be having someone figure it out with out charging for their time to do so. It was the same when I ordered my north river seahawk back in 2006. Best of luck with your new boat
Sea Chaser 19SC, 115 Yamaha

Yachter Yat

I'd simply ask them to delete the "Flintstone" half moon bait hatch closers and install the Gemlux catches myself.   Deleting the cleats, in order to install the Sea Dogs on my own, might be a bit of a chore, but I'd probably give that a "go" as well.  How could the factory possibly complain about these simple deletions?   :shrug9:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

disposable

yikes. failure to customize seems like a real missed opportunity to build the brand (and add profit). i just don't get it. take-it-or-leave-it does NOT seem like a smart choice in this industry.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

FryFish

Yeah, I was surprised that they wouldn't do just a second bilge pump. But I guess most of that rigging stuff usually happens at the dealer level? I'm just going to have to conquer my fear of drilling, screwing, and cutting into fiberglass!

What has been most disappointing, is the interactions with the dealer. Its like this is the first Arima they've ever sold. Every question needs to be forwarded to the factory, then I have to follow up to get a response. I feel like they are the ones doing me the favor by letting me spend 40K there...

At least I've mostly decided on hydraulic steering but skipping the trim tabs until I've run the boat for a while. I still haven't even tried the 4 blade prop I have.
1998 17' SC -- Sold

Fisherdv

Have you tried calling Defiance directly? They have the factory and Defiance dealer right up the street. The Defiance dealer I'm sure knows a thing or two about Arimas.

That's what I did when I got mine. And I'm located in Ca.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

FryFish

That's a good idea. I've talked with them a few times throughout my ordeal, but not since I have committed to buying a whole package from them
1998 17' SC -- Sold

Yachter Yat

Reading this thread........."incongruous" is the word that comes to my mind.  I'm actually surprised at the lack of what could be either the flexibility, or willingness, on the part of the factory, to provide anything beyond the normal hardware offerings on these boats........especially considering, most of what seems to be requested are items that appear to be quite minor in nature.   Interesting that, conventional wisdom would lead many to believe such policy to be characterized by, and associated with, much larger, high production manufacturers; and not a moderately sized company such as Defiance.  Go figure!   :shrug9:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)