News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

DIY accessory plate for my Ford Ranger light switch

Started by AJFishin, April 20, 2024, 10:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJFishin

For a while I've been thinking to put a bumper led light on my truck for when I'm hooking up my trailers at night.
I needed to figure out where I wanted to put my rocker switch and I didn't want to drill or cut holes. I searched online to get some ideas and I came across a company in Australia that makes a mounting plate that looks factory for $100 and someone else that makes them for $25 on Etsy. Looking at these options I figured I could make something similar out of my left over ABS plastic.
I first made some templates out of cardboard to get a good fit, then I used my ABS and cut everything out, then heated it up to put a slight bend in it. It's not 100% perfect, but I want to give it a try to see how I like it before messing around with it. But hey it works and I didn't have to drill into my trucks interior and if I don't like it later on, I can remove it like as if it wasn't ever there.
Reason I installed the switch on the side is because I'm thinking to install some interior lights to light up the trucks bed at night, which will come in handy when we're camping or when I'm done fishing at night, so a second switch would be placed on the right side.

Without the plate installed you can kind of see what that area looks like and you can see the plate I made.

Plate installed and working...

LED bumper light....
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

Nice. Those are great to have especially when launching or retrieving at night. Have you thought about adding another one to the other side?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on April 21, 2024, 09:43:56 AMNice. Those are great to have especially when launching or retrieving at night. Have you thought about adding another one to the other side?

Yes definitely works good for launching or retrieving at night, I had these back when I had my F150 and really liked having them.
Yeah I have second one that I need to make a bracket for so I can hang it, I just ran out of time yesterday.

markymark

Redhawk

Sweet! I have light pods wired into reverse and another set at the top corners of my headache rack and I couldn't live without them. I have found the reverse lights to be really helpful when backing up to something as I can gauge the distance based on how much the light is spreading out. Probably not an issue for you though if you have a normal bed and a backup camera.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

AJFishin

@ Mark, my truck is a 4x4 version and pulls my SR19 and my 16 travel trailer (with tow mode on) with ease. I like pulling trailers with this truck more so than when I had my F150, plus with it being a shorter truck, it's very maneuverable.

@ Red, thanks and yeah the factory led reverse lights and camera work well together. I mainly wanted the secondary light to be on when I'm dealing with the trailers and need the extra light, especially with my travel trailer.