News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Running out of room to put stuff - onboard charger

Started by Mile2885, January 01, 2019, 11:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mile2885

I thought I'd start the new year off right by treating my batteries better. Well, turns out the new 20amp on board charger is huge and I don't have a lot of room to cram it in.  Id like to keep it out of sight but there isn't a lot of room in the stern. Only place i could think of is up front in the cabin. I know everyone has their own opinion but is this a bad spot?  I could take a loss and go with a smaller charger. Thinking im going to need a bigger boat soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

La-Z-Buoy

I'm curious as to why you need such a large charger. Do you run a lot of stuff during boating/fishing that the batteries run down, needing a large charge when you return to port/trailer/home? I put a two station battery tender on my boat and when I get back home I just plug it in all the time. It keeps the batteries fully charged for the next time out with very little or no heavy charging needed.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Mile2885

Maybe I made the wrong decision on charger size. I do run multiple downriggers and an electric pot puller, radar, heater etc.   I was under the impression based on the Promairiner size to round up based on battery size. Oh well - mounted on the boat now.

DevMah

Quote from: Mile2885 on January 01, 2019, 12:47:36 PM
Maybe I made the wrong decision on charger size. I do run multiple downriggers and an electric pot puller, radar, heater etc.   I was under the impression based on the Promairiner size to round up based on battery size. Oh well - mounted on the boat now.

Should work just make sure that the leads from the charger are fused going to the battery.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

croaker stroker

I have the same charger. I was previously using a "Battery Tender" like LaZBuoy mentioned. But the ProMariner charger does a lot more to keep your batteries healthy. It has a function that reconditions the battery plates which I have used yearly. (Mine is not automatic) They charge only the battery that needs it. When all the batteries are fully charged, it kicks into trickle charge mode and maintains the voltage level. What I like about it is I just have one on-board plug to fuss with. Just plug it in and forget about it.

http://www.promariner.com/en/~/media/inriver/353138-36048.pdf

Dev, they come prewired with inline fuses.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Mile2885

It's a done deal. Mounted it where pictured above since I'm lacking room in the stern and don't feel like remounting pumps. Probably not the best spot but its nice not having to remove a panel to check charge status.  I was using a battery tender last year but hated not being able to do both and it was tight quarters getting it on there.  I'm a little over sensitive with my batteries after the marina drained mine last year.

All I need to do now is extend the cables. Mounted the plug near the step behind the cabin.  I think it'll work well.

croaker stroker

It should work well for you. Mine has never failed to keep the batteries fully charged. But it would be nice to see the lights to confirm the charge level before going out.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸