News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Uncle Norms Orca Fins

Started by mariner, October 30, 2017, 09:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariner

Has anyone tried installing Uncle Norms Orca Fins on their main outboards or know of anyone that has one installed?  I was told by a company representative that the fins will allow you to track straight based on the additional rudder surface area.  With more rudder area it acts sort a like a stabilizer to keep the boat from wondering or going off course while you are trolling and busy at the stern of the boat.  It also helps with slow speed turns while docking.  I'm trying to avoid having to spend >$2K on a new Lowrance HDS Gen3 fishfinder that is compatible with the Lowrance outboard autopilot.  If the Orca fin will track well enough to allow me to get the lines, downrigger and gear into the water and setup and not have to run back and forth to correct boat travel direction that would be great.
1999 19 Sea Ranger HT: 2018 Merc115 CT ProXS: 2018 Merc9.9 ProKicker

FishAddict

Not sure on Uncle Norms fins.  Looks interesting...I do have a Lowrance Gen 2 and outboard pilot and they both work pretty good.  You don't need a gen 3 to make the outboard pilot work.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

Fisherdv

As I mentioned in your first post go with hydraulic steering. I troll a lot and used to hate having to run back and forth to the wheel to keep the boat straight while dropping down lines. Especially in a fleet of boats all fishing in the same area. Set the wheel where you want it and it stays there
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

GregE

As mentioned on your other thread- Baystar hydraulic steering ( Seastar for 150 and up ) makes Such a big difference on tracking and ease in turning.

I drove the SR 19 for year without it-  wish I'd put the kit on earlier-  $700 well spent.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

mariner

Thanks FisherDev and GregE. 

So you both are saying that even with some wind/current/waves that push against the bow or stern of the boat while slow trolling it won't cause it to turn off course if you have hydraulic steering?  Wondering if there is something different with this hull design that gives it this ability that other boats don't have.  Perhaps the sponsons?
1999 19 Sea Ranger HT: 2018 Merc115 CT ProXS: 2018 Merc9.9 ProKicker

Fisherdv

The wheel will stay straight but with wind and waves it will still go off course no matter what you do. In calm water it will stay straight. Much better than a wheel that immediately flops over when you let go of it
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Rokefin

I have Baystar steering on the 17 footer and it will stay on track enough in calm conditions but most of the time in the ocean, if alone, working the riggers and poles in the back can be a problem. I have fished alone enough to know that I would really like to have an autopilot set up. My last trip out on Tamales Bay on a windy day trying to work both lines was too frustrating and I quit within an hour, the boat would be blown 180 degrees in a matter of seconds......I would also be curious to know how the Orca Fin helps improve the tracking.

Markshoreline

Hydraulic steering will solve your problem and provide improved overall boat performance.  Hydraulic is much safer than cable.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Diablo

You won't track any better with hydraulic steering. It's the wind a waves that throw the boat around. I don't see Uncle Norms helping for that. If you want to maintain a hands free course in any condition you would need auto pilot.
As to advantage of hydraulic steering, way less maintenance, easy to steer, and you can add a second steering station.

'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

GregE

Quote from: mariner on October 30, 2017, 10:27:27 PM
Thanks FisherDev and GregE. 

So you both are saying that even with some wind/current/waves that push against the bow or stern of the boat while slow trolling it won't cause it to turn off course if you have hydraulic steering?  Wondering if there is something different with this hull design that gives it this ability that other boats don't have.  Perhaps the sponsons?

Nope.  wind and saves are still a challenge, but you can relax wheel pressure while cruising and the motor will stay steady ( the torque trim tab need to be set correctly )
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait