News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Should have listened to Gary.

Started by croaker stroker, October 07, 2017, 12:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

I have been pondering these Spray Rails for a couple of years. Every time I posted questions about them Gary (Canvas Guy) would say GET THEM ! My wife would say Why don't you get them ? I think it was the way they looked and the fact that they were just held on with tape. But I kept procrastinating, each trip coming home soaking wet.

So, when I finally decided to get them, the company went out of business!!  I searched and researched for an alternate plan and found that the actual extruder that made the spray Rails was still in business, Barbour Plastics. While looking through their catalogue, I discovered several types of extrusions made specifically for spray rails on boats such as East Coast Lobster boats.

I ended up installing some solid PVC rails from their catalogue. Now that I have some miles using these, I can honestly say....Gary was right. They are awesome.

I am not sure of the need in other parts of the world, but here in Southern California they are a necessity. When we go south to fish, a WNW wind comes up at exactly 2:00 in the afternoon and the chop and wind waves come up the Port bow of the boat, then the wind blows it right in your face.

The new spray rails eliminate 99% of this happening.

We came back DRY yesterday afternoon in white capping 2-3 foot chop which we would normally be soaked.

I am totally impressed with these rails and would recommend them to anyone fishing in Southern California. There is only one downside, they have to be heated to be installed.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

This is why Arima widened the knuckle on these boats in later years.   I get no spray from my 94 16SC.  Got the wide knuckle. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Wiley

I get spray from my 96 explorer. Bought Rokefin leftovers but have yet to install. It's on the list though. Hey CS 15'11 sea explorer do you think 5' is long enough rail?
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

StreamFixer

I am sure Sam is really grateful...   :whistle:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

CanvasGuy

:applause:  you did fix that Hull after all i like the look of your sprayrails  these older hulls should all be modified  imho. :shrug9:
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

headduck

CS did you choose an atypical spray rail?

If so how did it vary from the others?

Do I remember corrwctly that you posted the install process?
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Markshoreline

My 21 has the larger factory knuckles but I get spray on the windshield.  DSCS (Alan) says his 17 with Rails is dryer than my boat!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Quote from: Wiley on October 07, 2017, 02:03:53 PM
I get spray from my 96 explorer. Bought Rokefin leftovers but have yet to install. It's on the list though. Hey CS 15'11 sea explorer do you think 5' is long enough rail?

Yes. 5' should work. Remember to heat it.

It would probably make installation easier if you built a heat box like the ones used to bend window molding.

Quote from: headduck on October 07, 2017, 04:04:41 PM
CS did you choose an atypical spray rail?

If so how did it vary from the others?

Do I remember corrwctly that you posted the install process?

Yes. I posted some info. I used  "R-1058" on page 14.
http://barbourplastics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Barbour-catalog-2015-WEB.compressed.pdf

Quote from: StreamFixer on October 07, 2017, 02:32:42 PM
I am sure Sam is really grateful...   :whistle:

StreamFixer

Sam has been busy with his schedule. His position has changed with more responsibility and he has been traveling on humanitarian missions. He also bought a new boat, so any spare time is devoted to lobster fishing. (Which I don't like to do)  So, we have not had many chances to fish together lately.

Quote from: Yachter Yat on October 07, 2017, 12:08:37 PM
   This is why Arima widened the knuckle on these boats in later years.   I get no spray from my 94 16SC.  Got the wide knuckle. 

Yat

Mr. Arima had Spray Rails on his personal boat.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

Quote from: Markshoreline on October 07, 2017, 04:29:08 PM
My 21 has the larger factory knuckles but I get spray on the windshield.  DSCS (Alan) says his 17 with Rails is dryer than my boat!

The knuckles are not as large and do not angle down like the Spray Rails.

I met a Guy who was a commercial lobster fisherman in San Diego who owned a Uniflite which he rebuilt. He added Spray Rails and built a really nice Pilot House. Interesting that the Pilot House was only two sided because the spray only comes from the Port Bow. 🤔

He also said he got a new Diesel engine which he said he got a grant or deal from the government because the old diesel was considered bad for the environment. ???

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

I went with the same rails as croaker (Barbour R-1058) , Wiley picked up my other half (they come in 20 foot sections and will cut to order)...they take a bit of work to form the rails to fit but are worth it. Take your time when installing.  If your boat is topless spray rails are a MUST! I have a skip top with canvas so I was protected but I found all the spray annoying on the windshields - really happy that I put them on.

Tj805

If I buy those spray rails can I just affix them with 5200 ?
Can someone post a link to where to purchase ?
I'm tired of whitecaps hitting me in the face .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

But DO NOT use alcohol products to clean the gel coat or the rail if you are using 5200 fast cure.  Taco Marine instructions state to use alcohol to clean surfaces but you will read on the 5200 fast cure instructions NOT to use alcohol products as it affects the cure.

I used the alcohol and acetone on my installation and had no problems as the alcohol "flashed" off instantly in the warm weather, but I would recommend following instructions on the 5200 fast cure.

Yachter Yat

I don't understand this thread.  What's with all this "spray" you guys are talking about? :hoboy:   All I get is a tiny bit of spattering (from time to time) on my windshield during most outings.  I think the last time I used my wiper was many years ago off Martha's Vineyard,; on the way home from Chappaquiddick to Falmouth on Cape Cod.  Couldn't help it in 4 to 6 foot seas..........with an all-too-occasional 8 thrown-in just for the hell-of-it.

Maybe the Chasers are less susceptible to the spray problem than the cabin boats?  Or.....maybe if you insist on going-out when it's that rough, you just have to accept the consequences?  :shrug9:   

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

First Cabin

Quote from: Yachter Yat on October 09, 2017, 12:51:37 PM
   I don't understand this thread.  What's with all this "spray" you guys are talking about? :hoboy:   All I get is a tiny bit of spattering (from time to time) on my windshield during most outings.  I think the last time I used my wiper was many years ago off Martha's Vineyard,; on the way home from Chappaquiddick to Falmouth on Cape Cod.  Couldn't help it in 4 to 6 foot seas..........with an all-too-occasional 8 thrown-in just for the hell-of-it.

Maybe the Chasers are less susceptible to the spray problem than the cabin boats?  Or.....maybe if you insist on going-out when it's that rough, you just have to accept the consequences?  :shrug9:   

Yat

Yat, I have a SeaChaser.  I use my wiper more trips than not.  This summer I had a guy from Oklahoma fish with me a couple days.  After a few days he remarked, "Man the water is always angry here."  A calm day with no blowing spray is the exception here.

Now when I fish other parts of the world, the water always looks so nice!  Headed to Cabo on Saturday....looking forward to the peaceful water down there.

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Markshoreline

I dunno, Yat- most trips are like buckets of water thrown on the windshield between the waves splashing and the wind blowing.  Although today I ran 25 miles from Whidbey to Bell Harbor Marina downtown Seattle for an overnight stay and the water was like glass... go figure.  Tomorrow the weather will change so that will likely be different.
Come out for a visit and we'll show you a good time!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Quote from: Markshoreline on October 09, 2017, 10:39:24 PM
Come out for a visit and we'll show you a good time!

Mark, you just want to get poor Yachter all wet doncha ?   :cha:

....or seasick.

....or both ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

Yeah, Mark......I'd love to get out there someday.  People have told me, if I ever go, I could leave my sunglasses home.  Croaker thinks I'd get seasick.  Fortunately, I don't have to worried about that.  Just worried I'd probably get the "blues" in all that cloudy weather.  :hoboy:  Hey....maybe those cloudy skies would get me so "down-in-the-mouth" that I'd be inspired to write a very sad song.  Then....that sad song would become a huge hit and make tons and tons of money, after which I would only rub elbows with very wealthy people who reside in certain parts of Southern Ca. and Long Island, N.Y.  :smile1:    I'm on my way!  :jester:

Okay.......I'm done now.  Wifey just handed me coffee.  :facepalm:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Rokefin

Concerning spray - the conditions make all the difference....for the most part the spray rails work very well.
My water time is 98% ocean time and the first time I had the boat out with the new rails it was windy and choppy and I still had spray come onto the windshield and I remember being a little disappointed from the rail deflection, but since that first rail run I have had the boat on the water maybe a dozen more times and the rails have performed extremely well in conditions that were different every day. If you are TOPLESS the rails are a MUST.

Wiley

Finally got the rails installed today. Have yet to try them out and forgot to take pictures.  :shrug9:  to bend I basically strung them like a bow and arrow between a shelf in the garage and the concrete floor to bow them, then ran heat gun up and down until softened. Let cool and install. Afterthought was you could use a 2" wide wratchet belt to bow and just keep heating and tightening.. Croakers way with heat box is probably the best way but had to use what was available.
10' Don Hill Pram

Fisherdv

Quote from: Wiley on October 15, 2017, 06:45:43 PM
Finally got the rails installed today. Have yet to try them out and forgot to take pictures.  :shrug9:  to bend I basically strung them like a bow and arrow between a shelf in the garage and the concrete floor to bow them, then ran heat gun up and down until softened. Let cool and install. Afterthought was you could use a 2" wide wratchet belt to bow and just keep heating and tightening.. Croakers way with heat box is probably the best way but had to use what was available.
Would like to hear an update when you get to try em, pics would be great too.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Wiley

Fisher, looks like we're in the same bay, you'll probably be able to see them in action before too long, but yep will try to remember pictures.  :doh:
10' Don Hill Pram

Wiley

So I got out and tried the rails today. Like Rokefin first impression wasn't good but on the way back not a drop on the captain. I did seem to have to run with the bow a little bit higher though. Sorry forgot the pics again
10' Don Hill Pram

Wiley

Picture in my gallery but won't load to here?
10' Don Hill Pram

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸