News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Lowrance 3g Radar

Started by Fishjager, February 25, 2013, 07:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishjager

I have a Lowrance HDS 8 on my boat, so I thought why not get the radar to go with it.  I was thinking of the Lowrance G3 radar.  Does anybody here have any feedback on the unit?  This being said my Furuno 1623 is up for sale.  Thanks
Boatless right now

DSCS

I have the first generation Lowrance HD radar, not the G3. It has worked flawlessly for me. None of the HD units are "bird spotters", but for short to mid range collision avoidance you cna't go wrong with the G3. My dome is 7' off the waterline so nothing would give me long range detection anyway.

I don't have to mess with tuning much. Ther are two preset modes.. harbor and open water. I might turn gain up in heavy fog or tweak rain clutter but really it's usually turn it on and use it.

I got a heading sensor to feed into the network. The radar overlay on the charts is really nice. Would highly recommend getting the heading sensor.

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

Threeweight

Boat US had a good article last year explaining some of the changing technology in sonar and radar.

Traditional Pulsed Energy vs. Sweeping Frequencies (geekery alert!)

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/articles/radar.asp

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Ski2sea

The 4g has a $150 rebate available at this time.  4g 36 mile range vs 3g 24 mile range.
However, the best improvement seems to be in target separation.  The 4g is shipped with the R110 interface box which will let you connect to your NMEA 2000 network.  This will come in real handy in if you decide you want to add a heading sensor that will provide you with the chart overlay and MARPA.  If you only want the overlay, Lowrance just announced a new combined external GPS antenna with a sensor that will provide for the overlay and at a price well below the other heading sensors out there.

The following link has a summary  http://www.panbo.com/archives/2011/12/simrad_broadband_radar_4g_hands-on_1.html

ski2sea

Fishjager

Honestly, I do not see myself in that big of water in a 17 ft SeaChaser!! :applause: :applause:
Boatless right now

Chuck Jones

Hells bells F/jager:  I don't see myself more than line of sight from offshore unless I'm on  a 200 foot  cruise boat, 50 foot beam,  promanade deck that serves tea and crumpets whilst relining on a deck chair during afternoon tea...I'm told they keep four quarts of chicken blood at the onshore emergency room in case I get hurt!!!  I LOVE fresh water....  :jester:

Seriously, I do take my hat off to you guys who go 30 or more miles offshore in your boats to chase the wiley Tuna!  I volunteer to grill the steaks after you fillet them.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Threeweight

On a clear day, I can make out a few mountains in the Oregon Coast Range from 30 miles offshore  :biggrin: 

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson