News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Re-Power a SL22

Started by AnnapolisArima, January 16, 2023, 08:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

Okay. Guess I'll have to sleep first before reading. Ha

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AnnapolisArima

Hey Friends
Just wanted to give the update.
New Suzuki 200 looks sweet on the old girl!
I'll let you know how she runs once I finish break-in.

Sea Legend 22-Skip Tower w/ Honda 130

headduck

2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

fishmeister

1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

beancounter

I think that is perfect for that boat running along in the Chesapeake slop. Should hold plane at a very slow speed on rough days.

Kimbrey

Quote from: AnnapolisArima on April 07, 2024, 05:19:53 PMHey Friends
Just wanted to give the update.
New Suzuki 200 looks sweet on the old girl!
I'll let you know how she runs once I finish break-in.

Just want to give you a FYI.  I have a good friend that has a pair of 200 Suzies hanging off his Parker.  I think he got his a year or two after they came out with that model.  He feels basically his might be close to the same as what you have but yours may have been improved on.  Last summer he lost quite a bit of time using his boat because the gearing going into the engine was falling apart.  I think how the shaft connects into the engine.  Poor guy had to put up fishing with me a fair amount of the summer.  His boat is in the shop now getting the other motor repaired for the same problem. Around a $5 Grand repair I think.  Supposedly there's a grease zerk that's hard to get to that he didn't know about.  He said you have to pull what he calls the middle cowling to get to it. Might be something to look into.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Hunter

Quote from: Hunter on January 16, 2023, 03:02:02 PMWe had a 2001 HT with bulkhead and 6cyl Suzi 250 which we felt was the perfect power.   Ours was also the last year of the older bow chine design.   As you can see in the pic below, the weight of the 250 is not an issue on these wide body boats.   I really think that a Honda 225 would also be a good choice.    If selecting a 4 cylinder 200 like the Yami Show....you may want to confirm whether or not it will make full HP on 87 octane...

I'll say it over an over again.   HP should not ever be an issue, since HP can be changed by a simple prop change.  If you simply remove the prop, then your motor has ZERO HP.   The issue should be weight and only weight.  Just my personal opinion.   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

ak-angler

Quote from: Hunter on April 08, 2024, 04:24:49 PM
Quote from: Hunter on January 16, 2023, 03:02:02 PMWe had a 2001 HT with bulkhead and 6cyl Suzi 250 which we felt was the perfect power.   Ours was also the last year of the older bow chine design.   As you can see in the pic below, the weight of the 250 is not an issue on these wide body boats.   I really think that a Honda 225 would also be a good choice.    If selecting a 4 cylinder 200 like the Yami Show....you may want to confirm whether or not it will make full HP on 87 octane...

I'll say it over an over again.   HP should not ever be an issue, since HP can be changed by a simple prop change.  If you simply remove the prop, then your motor has ZERO HP.   The issue should be weight and only weight.  Just my personal opinion.   

A 10-horse motor is light. But I don't think anybody would recommend a 10-horse for any Arima model no matter the prop on it. Seems that hp counts for something.
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

davidsea

Quote from: ak-angler on April 08, 2024, 08:15:24 PM
Quote from: Hunter on January 16, 2023, 03:02:02 PMWe had a 2001 HT with bulkhead and 6cyl Suzi 250 which we felt was the perfect power.  Ours was also the last year of the older bow chine design.  As you can see in the pic below, the weight of the 250 is not an issue on these wide body boats.  I really think that a Honda 225 would also be a good choice.    If selecting a 4 cylinder 200 like the Yami Show....you may want to confirm whether or not it will make full HP on 87 octane...

I'll say it over an over again.  HP should not ever be an issue, since HP can be changed by a simple prop change.  If you simply remove the prop, then your motor has ZERO HP.  The issue should be weight and only weight.  Just my personal opinion.   

A 10-horse motor is light. But I don't think anybody would recommend a 10-horse for any Arima model no matter the prop on it. Seems that hp counts for something.

Horsepower is a 'calculated' RPM-dependent number which looks good in a sales brochure.     It can be useful in determining fuel consumption, but torque is what turns the prop and moves the boat.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

ak-angler

Quote from: davidsea on April 08, 2024, 08:33:34 PM
Quote from: ak-angler on April 08, 2024, 08:15:24 PM
Quote from: Hunter on January 16, 2023, 03:02:02 PMWe had a 2001 HT with bulkhead and 6cyl Suzi 250 which we felt was the perfect power.  Ours was also the last year of the older bow chine design.  As you can see in the pic below, the weight of the 250 is not an issue on these wide body boats.  I really think that a Honda 225 would also be a good choice.    If selecting a 4 cylinder 200 like the Yami Show....you may want to confirm whether or not it will make full HP on 87 octane...

I'll say it over an over again.  HP should not ever be an issue, since HP can be changed by a simple prop change.  If you simply remove the prop, then your motor has ZERO HP.  The issue should be weight and only weight.  Just my personal opinion.   

Horsepower is a 'calculated' RPM-dependent number which looks good in a sales brochure.     It can be useful in determining fuel consumption, but torque is what turns the prop and moves the boat.

Horsepower and torque are clearly related via RPM. No debate there.

fishmeister

Hey now, before we get ripping on 10hp motors....

I've got a 10hp (9.9) on my Sea Hunter and it pushes the boat.  Before my re-power, I even had it push me up the Skagit River twice.

Of course, it isn't going to plane the boat (that's what a main is for).  But, it does push it.

Just sayin'

ak-angler

No doubt a 10-horse will push an Arima. I pushed my 17SR with the original 8-horse, a 9.9, and then a 6-horse. That doesn't mean I would give up my 90-horse main, no mater what the weight was. Weight is a secondary (although an important) factor when looking at what motor would be appropriate for a given hull. Horsepower - paired with correct propping - is critical.

fishmeister

Quote from: ak-angler on April 08, 2024, 10:02:51 PMNo doubt a 10-horse will push an Arima. I pushed my 17SR with the original 8-horse, a 9.9, and then a 6-horse. That doesn't mean I would give up my 90-horse main, no mater what the weight was. Weight is a secondary (although an important) factor when looking at what motor would be appropriate for a given hull. Horsepower - paired with correct propping - is critical.

My apologies.  I wasn't trying to seriously suggest using a 10hp as a main.  The thread looked like it was getting a little "too serious" and I was just trying to "lighten it up" a little.  That's all.   :rimshot:

Now back to the thread....

ak-angler