News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Advice needed on best Arima for cruising

Started by LakeHouse4305, June 22, 2018, 10:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LakeHouse4305

Hello,

We have been looking at a number of boats for day use and occasional overnights - - I guess you'd call it "light cruising". Area of usage would be San Juans and Great Lakes. A pilot house configuration seems attractive for weather protection but I guess the right canvas configuration would work too. My towing vehicle limit is 4500-5000# and prefer something easy to trailer and get on/off trailer since we are not as spry as we were in our younger days.

We went out with a friend in his C Dory 22 but felt the narrower beam made it a bit less stable at anchor than desired (we typically charter 34-38' sailboats with 11' beams). We've also chartered a 27' Ranger Tug but that is really out of our price/towing range. So I've been checking out Arimas and have been impressed with the capabilities from my reading. So now I'd appreciate some practical advice from owners....

- the SR 19 HT seems to meet our needs. Any downsides? How stable at anchor? Assume 115 hp best power and with trim tabs?

- to save money we've considered a 17 SR but would that be too cramped? We like to sit out in the cockpit in the evening and relax.

- there seem to be more 21s than 19s available. Is the cuddy the same size in both? I assume better ride/stability with the 21?

- the 22 Legend seems too big (and expensive!) for our needs but would it offer larger cuddy/stability?

Sorry to post such a long message - - really need some practical advice. Thanks!

Rokefin

From your shared information I think the 19 ranger would be the minimum boat for you, go 21 if you can, just don't be tempted by price of a 17 - too small for your needs.  These Arima's are stable platforms and I think you will find anchoring to be comfortable.

Good luck, remember if a boat comes along that makes you smile react quickly- these vessels can sale in minutes.

Mooch

LH, we were in the same situation recently.  We also came to the same determination, that the 19SR HT with 115 was the "optimum" set-up for both nimble cruising and fishing.  In spite of this, we ended up with a very nice 21 Skip Top that included an extended canvas/eisenglass cabin that opens up for greater fishing and family area.   I'll admit the extra space of the 21 has been nice, but I think we'd have been very happy with the 19' HT too.  The 21 Explorer was another option that we also considered, but it didn't seem as fishing friendly for my taste.  That said, neither the Explorer or extended cab Skip are that common.  My recommendation is go for the best 19HT you can afford and be open to something better if it comes along.  Be sure to budget for add-ons that make it all work for you.  Good luck and have fun.  Arimas are very safe, stable and efficient boats for their size. 
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Ko Ho

Do you fish LH? I use my Arima 100% for fishing, and absolutely love it. But I'm not so sure how good a cruising boat it is. For that I always pictured comfy captains chairs, padded bench seats, and carpet (so you don't break your wine glass if you drop it). But if you're going to bloody the deck at least once, you can't beat Arima - the biggest one you can afford and tow. Kinda doubt your tow vehicle is sufficient for a '21. A 19 HT might be too heavy too, but the 19HT owners can tell you.
2006 17 Sea Chaser, Twin Yamaha 40's

Dhil12

I only have experience with a sea legend. I can say buying new and fully outfitted, yes it was very expensive but it is a great, stable platform for both fishing and cruising for two people. A very stable boat and sea worthy.I'm 6'1" and I have no problem sleeping in the cuddy.
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

gfakkema

Quote from: Dhil12 on June 22, 2018, 07:36:05 PM
I only have experience with a sea legend. I can say buying new and fully outfitted, yes it was very expensive but it is a great, stable platform for both fishing and cruising for two people. A very stable boat and sea worthy.I'm 6'1" and I have no problem sleeping in the cuddy.

Hate to say it, but you also have the luxury of having it moored. I can tell you from personal experience, towing a SL is far different from any other Arima. It is far from the largest boat out there, but the wide beam definitely takes up an entire lane not to mention the fact that the SL requires a wide load permit to tow legally.

Having said all that, I would admit that the SL is a GREAT boat for cruising. I really like mine, but have used it primarily for fishing so far. I do plan on doing some cruising this summer though. We'll see how it goes. Good luck on your search!
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Dhil12

Greg, we are going to Port Townsend on a cruise next Tuesday thru Thursday . Plan on spending a few days staying/ cooking on the boat. Would be great to have you join us. Two Sea Legends moored next to each other would be cool!
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Dhil12

Lakehouse, FYI the 27" ranger has a 8'6" beam vs a 8'9" beam on the sea legend. We were moored next to a 27 ranger for a few days in Poulsbo a few weeks ago and I noticed how much tippier it was than our boat when people boarded and even in small waves in the marina. I dont know if its the extra 3 inches of beam or the hull design, but our sea legend was much more stable.
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Markshoreline

We have gunkholed and camped on shore for two straight weeks in a 19 ranger soft top in the SJ's.  Light enough to allow to rest n the gravelly beach but large enough to carry all your stuff.  I'd be afraid that I couldn't push the 21 HT off a low water beach, i'd Have to moor.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Hunter

Id say that if your towing limit on your rig is 4500 to 5000, than your actual comfortable towing limit is probably closer to 3000.    Remember that towing also includes stopping.    We towed our SL22 for a few months with a 1/2 ton Chevy 5.3 gasser with a maximum towing capacity of 7.500, and even though it would get us to the ramp and back it was not the right tool for the job.   I actually think that for what you're describing.  you'll be most happy with the 21 hardtop Ranger.

As far as beaching the boat goes....as Mark mentioned, the heavier boats might be a challenge to shove off shore if the tide leaves you higher and heavier.   This is the reason that we use the anchor buddy system on our boat and it works perfectly.   Basically just a super duper bungee cord that stretches from 15 to 50 feet.  Once anchored and set up slightly offshore I just tilt up the main and back the boat in to one or two feet deep shore with the kicker, kill and tilt and then step off with a stern line.   Then I pull the boat in closer and offload stuff then just let the bungee pull the boat out into deeper water then secure.   Have the bow facing seaward also is much better for any wave action while shore moored.     When ready to leave just pull the back of the boat into shore, load-up, then let the bungee pull you back out into deeper water.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Products-AB4000B-Anchor-Buddy/dp/B003BM5LUI   

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

BurnsieBabe

All Arima 17', 19' and 21' have 8' beams.  The 22' has an 8'9" beam.  The 21' Arima has a slightly larger (longer & taller) cuddy than the 17' and 19' Arimas.  Only the 19', 21' and 22' come in the HT "pilothouse" model.  The HT models can be manufactured with either the Alaskan Bulkhead or with back drop curtain (standard).  All of the Arima boats, except the 22' can be climbed up into by standing on the trailer fender (says me....an older less nimble "shortie")

Belinda
Belinda Burns
Arima Marine International Inc from 1997
Defiance Marine LLC from 2013 (since Arima purchase)

LakeHouse4305

Belinda, what is the current lead time for a 19 SR HT from the factory?

Others... thanks for all the really good info for us to take into consideration! Lots of food for thought.

LakeHouse4305

Hunter  :applause: - - very slick way to anchor close in. Hopefully I'll be a boat owner soon and will give it a try. Agree that a 21 gives me some pause in terms of towing weight. Have considered getting a bigger truck but then the boss adds that cost to the boat cost and says look how much we're spending to go boating.... :whistle:

Redhawk

Another thing to consider when it comes to a hard top vs. canvas is what weather you will be boating in and the wear on the canvas.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke