News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Trailer leaf spring replacement

Started by Threeweight, July 15, 2013, 12:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threeweight

I bought a set of leaf springs to replace the rusty ones on my trailer a few years ago... it too me a while to get around to installing them, but with my boat moored at the marina I finally got around to it.

My old springs were not on terrible shape, but they were getting there.  I sprayed them periodically with CRC rust converter, and it really helped a bunch. I also flushed them religiously with freshwater after fishing the salt. 

Even with that flushing, you can see the salt deposit where the mounting plate clamped.  Imagine what's going on in between the leafs!

My leafs were the "slider" style.  One end is closed and bolts to the trailer mount, the other is open and slides on a bushing.  Think the old bushing was worn out?

Here's the new ones:

I put multiple coats of CRC Corrosion Inhibitor on the springs before I mounted them.  I also gave all the mounting hardware a few coats.  This stuff reminds me of cosmoline used by the military for long-term storage of metals.  Basically leaves a waxy coat of oil on everything.

Lessons learned -- I found the manual and parts list for my trailer on Shorlander's web site, and was able to source the exact replacement leaf springs from Eastern Marine for a great price.  One thing they did not have, though, was the correct galvanized u-bolts and zinc-plated #5 grade mounting bolts.  I had to buy these separately from Pacific Trailers and E Trailers.  The folks at Pacific Trailers suggested not using the metal bushings again, but using a nylon one instead in a trailer used in saltwater... the corrosion will cause the bushing to drag and wear prematurely.

Don't even think about starting this project without soaking the mounting bolts for a few days in the Parts Blaster.  You will need a breaker bar and some heavy duty sockets to get the old bolts off (impact wrench is better).

After you get the parts installed and everything tightened down, put the boat on the trailer and take it for 10 or 20 mile test drive, then tighten everything down again.  The ubolts, mounting plates, etc... will stretch as things settle in.

My old springs did not look terrible, but I noticed right away that with the new ones my trailer sits about 1-2" higher than it did before (the new springs are an exact match to the part # used by Shorelander).  It was definitely time to replace.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

Good write-up with pics.. Thanks for posting.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tom Mac

Thanks for the information, the springs on my Shorelander are corroded as well and in need of R & O
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

xplorz

Gonna be doing the same to my trailer soon, along with new tires, wheels and wheel bearings for piece of mind.
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

Wrangler2744

Along the Texas gulf coast the product most boaters use is Corrosion X Heavy Duty.

Here's their link: http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx-heavy-duty.html

I use it on my trailer and it works great.  They also make a standard Corrosion X (red can) that can be used on electronics - see their website.  Good stuff.
1996 Arima Sea Ranger
1997 90hp Honda

GregE

I continue to be amazed by the level of knowledge and skills on this board.   :applause:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

GoodDays

a few of the work boat trailers were checked last year... the bolt through the bushing was almost worn/corroded right through !!!

Something worth checking periodically.

GoodDays Greg

Chasin Baitman

THis may be an ultra-newb question...but does the boat have to be off the trailer to replace the leaf springs?
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

xplorz

Quote from: Chasin Baitman on January 27, 2014, 09:03:13 AM
THis may be an ultra-newb question...but does the boat have to be off the trailer to replace the leaf springs?

Mine wasn't.  :wink:

But be sure to use jacks and jack stands of appropriate capacity.
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

Threeweight

It is a easier with the boat off the trailer, though.  I did mine during fishing season.... booked some moorage down on the river and put the boat in the slip, then tinkered on the trailer in the garage in the evenings after work.

+1 on  good jack stands and a floor jack.  Good investments for not just this project, but also servicing your hubs and wheel bearings.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson