News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

22 sea legend with twin 115hp?

Started by smendell, March 05, 2018, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smendell

Just bought a 1999 arima 22 sea legend and planning on pulling off the twin 90hp Honda's and repowering with new 115hp yamis.   Any one have a performance numbers on similar setup.   Ie top speed and cruising  speeds.  The new Yamaha 115 are 5 pounds lighter each than the old Honda 90's.  Also anyway have any experience being able to Plane with only one motor?? 

wedocq

Why the twins? That's gotta be running you 25k? It would be way more economical to buy 1 Suzuki DF250, which is a great motor, and then a kicker.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

smendell

I like the idea of keeping twins.   I'm getting dealer demo and Rigging myself.   Also Montana res so no sales tax total is is gonna be around $20k.  Just bought this boat and has 2 badly corroded motors hence the repower.   Previous boat had a 200hp Suzuki and without getting into to many details I'm not a fan of Suzuki's had lots of problems    Gonna stick with Yamaha espially since they're new 115 are so light. 

Mcneilcab

I have a 22ht made in 98. Number 6 made by arima. It also has twin Honda 90s on it..only fished it once last fall so I don't know much about it at this point. Mine has a bit of a goofy hydraulic steering set up. Are you set up with seastar hydraulics? Don't know if it'll plane with one 90 yet but I'm sure I'd make it home easier with one big outboard then a little kicker......interested to sea what you end up doing.
1994 SR19HT W/TWIN 50s
1998 SEA LEGEND HT  W/TWIN 90s

Red 22

Congrats and welcome. Be sure to post before and after pictures. I have no experience with twins, sound like it will be great.
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

Ko Ho

I have twin 40's on a 17 chaser - so nowhere in your league. I cannot plane with 1 motor, I think due to the weight of the other motor when it's lifted out of the water. Maybe a 115 could do it though. I should point out however that I have NEVER wished I could plane on 1 motor. Yeah, it would be cool if 1 motor conked out, but that has never happened, and I can always get home at displacement speed.
2006 17 Sea Chaser, Twin Yamaha 40's

AlexB

Congrats on the new ride!

I'm curious... What does one do with that much boat in Montana? Planning ahead for sea level rise? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

Markshoreline

Flathead Lake has a surface area of almost 200sq miles!  Giant piece of water...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Mooch

Quote from: Markshoreline on March 06, 2018, 09:44:55 AM
Flathead Lake has a surface area of almost 200sq miles!  Giant piece of water...

......with serious Montana fetch winds. 
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

mustang65fbk

I might've missed it but did you mention if it's a hardtop or not? I'd check with defiance and ask them if they think your SL will get on a plane with a single motor as the SL's are on the heavier side and having twins with a full fuel tank will only add more weight. Per the Arima boats website it says the SL HT is around 2,850lbs. Each motor weighs almost 400lbs and if you've got a full gas tank at 106gal x 6.3lbs per gallon you've got 670lbs just in fuel weight, add in the twin motors with another 800lbs and you'll be at right around 1500lbs of weight in the rear. That's half the weight of the boat and that doesn't even include fishing gear, crab pots, persons, coolers, ice, beverages and so on. I'd be looking at getting a single 225hp Yamaha at 550lbs or a single Suzuki 250hp engine at 576lbs that will save you over 200lbs in weight, the Suzuki also comes with a 6 year warranty. Then if you wanted the piece of mind of having a kicker, you could buy a matching 9.9hp high thrust Suzuki kicker at 120lbs and you'd still be 100lbs lighter than with the twins and I'm thinking you'd have to save a considerable amount of money going that route as opposed to buying twin main motors.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Threeweight

I am dubious a single 115 is going to plane it, at least not fully loaded.  If one motor can't get the boat up on plane, it isn't going to much faster than displacement speeds, in which case you have a really, really expensive kicker.

I also would suggest swapping to a 225 or 250 in the flavor of your choice, and new 9.9 kicker.  Cheaper, lighter, better fuel economy.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Ko Ho

Just to be clear, I love twins. On your legend, you can use your twin screws when docking. You can virtually parallel park the thing.

Mcneilcab

I wonder if you are able 2 get a counter rotating prop on one of those 115s? Not an option on 90s.
1994 SR19HT W/TWIN 50s
1998 SEA LEGEND HT  W/TWIN 90s

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Ko Ho on March 06, 2018, 01:12:47 PM
Just to be clear, I love twins. On your legend, you can use your twin screws when docking. You can virtually parallel park the thing.

Unless it's incredibly windy or choppy I would think that docking a 22' Arima wouldn't be too difficult of a task. My uncle had a 26' Bayliner Trophy that was almost 30' overall and I had no problem docking that thing, even when it was windy or by myself. Of course it's always nice to have a buddy to help you but my 21' SR ST is like a dinghy compared to docking that Bayliner.

beancounter

It won't be planing with one motor if for no other reason than it will be propped wrong to do so. It will have too much pitch if you are gonna pitch the motors to run as twins. As others have said big single and a kicker is the logical way to run but are boats logical to most. In the end it is his boat and he will do as he darn well pleases I am sure. I am just guessing I have seen this boat before from the description of the salted up Hondas.

AlexB

Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

Yachter Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Ko Ho

Quote from: Yachter Yat on March 06, 2018, 03:13:23 PM
   Try this.............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W36rDKl4T5s

Yat
With twins you can make the boat move sideways (though I think he was helped with bow thrusters too). Pretty handy at a crowded dock. You can also rotate the boat on its axis if you find yourself at the dead end of a narrow row.

smendell

Thanks for all the replies guy.   New Yamaha 115hp are 377 each.  One of the motors is counter rotating.   I'm looking to see if anyone has any performance numbers.   With a 250 and kicker I'm almost at the same weight espially since I relocating twin batteries to the front cabin.   Rear weight with 2 batteries, 250hp outboard and 9.9 kicker is around 700 add 2 batteries at 50lbs each your at 800lbs.  Twin 115 with batteries relocated puts me under this weight so this is the route I'm going.   I'm really looking to see if anyone has twins on there 22 arima so I can get some performance numbers like top speed and cruising speeds at different rpms with fuel burn mixed in there.   PS the arima is not a hardtop has the tower option and I also need new canvas, any recommendations ??

Thanks pics will be coming soon.

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Ko Ho on March 06, 2018, 03:29:14 PM
Quote from: Yachter Yat on March 06, 2018, 03:13:23 PM
   Try this.............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W36rDKl4T5s

Yat
With twins you can make the boat move sideways (though I think he was helped with bow thrusters too). Pretty handy at a crowded dock. You can also rotate the boat on its axis if you find yourself at the dead end of a narrow row.

Oh yes, that loud humming sound were bow thrusters. Gotta love them

mustang65fbk

Quote from: smendell on March 06, 2018, 07:15:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies guy.   New Yamaha 115hp are 377 each.  One of the motors is counter rotating.   I'm looking to see if anyone has any performance numbers.   With a 250 and kicker I'm almost at the same weight espially since I relocating twin batteries to the front cabin.   Rear weight with 2 batteries, 250hp outboard and 9.9 kicker is around 700 add 2 batteries at 50lbs each your at 800lbs.  Twin 115 with batteries relocated puts me under this weight so this is the route I'm going.   I'm really looking to see if anyone has twins on there 22 arima so I can get some performance numbers like top speed and cruising speeds at different rpms with fuel burn mixed in there.   PS the arima is not a hardtop has the tower option and I also need new canvas, any recommendations ??

Thanks pics will be coming soon.

It depends on which engine you get as there are two different weights for each the 115hp and 250hp engines. To be fair let's use the lighter of the two for each. So... twin 115's at 377lbs each gives you 754lbs, not including any fuel. The 250hp single main would be 551lbs and let's say you went with a 9.9hp high thrust kicker, just for arguments sake. A Yamaha 9.9 high thrust kicker only weighs 87lbs. So 551lbs plus the 87lb kicker motor would put you at 638lbs total. Or a weight savings of almost 120lbs. If you also put the batteries up front, like you said, you'd probably save close to another 100lbs in weight.

In terms of pricing. I don't know what the dealer or whoever you're going through is going to charge you but just looking online a brand new 2018 250hp Yamaha is right at $11,500. Plus an extra $1300 for a 9.9hp Yamaha kicker motor, depending on if you want remote start and lifting, etc. Each Yamaha 115hp engine is $8,200 a piece. So roughly $16,400 for twins vs $12,800 for a main and kicker. Your boat though, do what you'd like. I personally would get a 225-250hp main and 9.9hp kicker motor that's over 100lbs lighter, move the batteries to the front to also shed some weight and spend less money doing so. I mean I see the reason for twins in terms of having a second motor in case one breaks down but if you can't plane with only the one motor and can only troll in with it anyway? Well you've just essentially bought yourself an $8k kicker motor.

http://www.yamaha-outboardsale.com/250hp-yamaha-outboard-motors-for-sale2016-4-stroke-p-210.html

Fisherdv

Are those prices on that site for real? Seems too good to be true :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Peddler

FWIW, with twin outboards mounted closely together, you're not going to get the same handling/maneuvering benefits as twin onboard screws mounted much further apart from each other. There are certainly some benefits though. I'm still learning some of the intricacies. It's fun!

I'd be surprised if a 115 wouldn't plane a lightly loaded SL22. Some of them were rigged with 150-horse single mains, that are sufficient when moderately loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Fisherdv on March 06, 2018, 09:32:26 PM
Are those prices on that site for real? Seems too good to be true :shrug9:

Yeah I looked into that a bit more and think it's likely a fake site. I see that they're out of Hong Kong I believe. I still believe that the 250hp Yamaha and a 9.9hp Yamaha kicker motor must be cheaper than twin 115hp Yamaha's though.

Fisherdv

Awww man, I thought I was gonna get a brand new kicker for $1,100  :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60