News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Range Finders

Started by Hydro-Therapy, December 05, 2018, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydro-Therapy

I am thinking a range finder for long range shooting would be nice.I have to admit I don't know much about them and need some help in choosing a good one that will do the job and not wish I had spent more for a better one, on the other hand don't want to overspend for features that I will never use. Do any of you have one and have an opinion on what features are must haves.

Thanks in advance

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Tj805

I have a leupold and love it .
Had a vortex for a minute and it was a pile.
Those sig ones are really nice as well as the gunworks ones .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

HemiGTX

I have a Sig Kilo 2000 that works very well. 
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

WalleyeJeff

2018 19' Sea Chaser ST, 115 Honda, 8 Honda

Hydro-Therapy

That is interesting I have been looking at the Sig 2200. They are on sale at Cabelas for $100 off. $399.97

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

GregE

I have several 8 yo Nikon, older Leica and got a Vortex 1300 this year to use for rifle distances and vertical angles,  Judy has an older Bushnell too

Look for one hand operation and realize the max range is off a highly reflective target no a furry one.  figure you are going to lose 1/3 range  I find it's easier to pre- range some distinctive trees and rocks then adjust = or - to the critter.  The Vortex doesnt range to snow well and doesn't go thru windshield glass ( some others can't either )
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Mooch

Quote from: GregE on December 05, 2018, 11:21:07 PM
The Vortex ....  doesn't go thru windshield glass ( some others can't either )

Greg, somehow I never took you for a road hunter.   :wink:
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Rokefin

Problem with shopping for range finders or optics is if you start at the 100 dollar price range and try the 200 dollar item you don't want the 100 dollar item, by the time you get to the 3000 dollar optics you don't want the 2800 dollar unit :shrug9:

Hunter

Ok.....so I am a golfer.....well lets just say that I play golf.    I have buddies that have spent a lot more $$ on the more expensive units and after comparing, this TTT is every bit as good.   This model does not give slope...just distance.    I would say that it's dead-on accurate to within a yard when compared to the much more expensive units or so and good to go up to 500 yards.    I also have a bright green silicone cover for it..     I'm sure there are better and more expensive units out there but for the budget minded, this is your best bet in my opinion.   Check out the online reviews for quality, warranty and customer service.   

https://www.amazon.com/TecTecTec-VPRO500-Golf-Rangefinder-Binoculars/dp/B00OMXN0Z8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544113092&sr=8-3&keywords=tectectec+vpro500#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/TUSITA-Protective-Rangefinder-Accessories-Replacement/dp/B076SDHMVZ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1544117430&sr=8-5&keywords=tectectec%2Bvpro500%2Bcover&th=1

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

HemiGTX

Rokefin, you have just defined my life regarding optics and fish finders
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

BestBoats

It depends on what you are doing, what you are shooting and what long range is for what you "need". 600-1500 yard hunting I would look at Leica. They have a great laser and their software allows real-time MOA or MIl dials. All you have to do is read the wind  :biggrin:. OR Gunwerks! Both bullet proof options.
I run Swarovski glass for binos and spotter and they are the best glass without a doubt but their range finder leaves a lot to be desired. Because of this if I was going to a rangefinding binocular it would be the new Leica.
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

BestBoats

I have also read and heard good things about the SIG 2400 but I have no experience with them
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

GregE

Quote from: Mooch on December 06, 2018, 06:46:42 AM
Quote from: GregE on December 05, 2018, 11:21:07 PM
The Vortex ....  doesn't go thru windshield glass ( some others can't either )

Greg, somehow I never took you for a road hunter.   :wink:

OK, I should have said Window glass.  :berry:  We were gauging haw far the neighbors house was

The best use for a rangefinder for bow shooting distances is to check how close your estimate is - 35 vs 45 will be a miss or wound.  You can get better with practice
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Hunter

As an aside...... another great use for range finders is to calc how tall something is using the Pythagorean Theorem.....    Just shoot the distance to the base and then from the same spot shoot the hypotenuse to the top and that'll give you info needed for the vertical leg of the right triangle...    You can get the free calculator app on your phone..    I use it when dropping trees to make how tall they are so I'll know what's going to get wiped out when I drop-em..
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

SeaRun1

I have had great luck for about ten years with my Leupold RX-750.  I was looking to upgrade to a Vortex.  What exactly did you not like about your Vortex TJ805?

SR1
2005 Arima Sea Ranger 19 HT Woodie
1986 Lund 16' Cutthroat Chaser