News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fuel gauge from dashboard reconfigure

Started by Arima_Matt, May 19, 2019, 06:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arima_Matt

Quote from: AJFishin on May 18, 2019, 12:53:39 PM
I just relocated my switch panel to the side wall of the boat, like how they're on the newer Arima's.
Then instead of fiberglassing the hole the old switch panel was in, I added a fuel gauge so I can have an idea of what's in my tank since my bait tank sits in front of my tanks view.

AJFishing.  I love how you moved the switch pannel and repurposed the slot for a fuel gauge.   I've been wanting to add a fuel gauge can you share any details on the brand you picked and any install tips or pitfalls?

Thanks Matt
91 1511 Sea Explorer - 2008 75hp evinrude E-TEC - lenco 12x9

AJFishin

Here's what I did for my switches, gauge, and horn. Hope it helps you out some.

I went with the Amarine-made 4 Gang Aluminium LED Rocker & Circuit Breaker for my switches.
The fuel gauge is a Sierra 68365E 2" Arctic Fuel Gauge, both bought off of Amazon.

Not hard to do especially since I recently did a rewire so I knew which wires went where.

With a pice of cardboard, I made a template with a square hole that I used for positioning. Then traced out the area that needed to be cut with a jigsaw on top of painters tape.
Then I used a large enough drill bit to fit the jigsaw blade in and drilled 4 holes in each corner. With my jigsaw I carefully cut out the square.
I made the square hole just slightly larger then the back of the switches and breakers to fit in.
Then drilled pilot holes for the screws, connected my wires and screwed it in place.

As for my fuel gauge, I had left over ABS plastic. I first cut it to size, then placed painters tape on the back side. Using the piece of paper the gauge sat in, in the package, I position it on top of the painters tape and traced my hole. Then I used a 2" hole saw to cut the hole for the gauge to sit in.

For horn button, I used a big drill bit to drill a hole, then used a bit on my Dremel to open the hole wide enough to make the button fit snug.
Screwed everything down, wired everything to my Blue Sea fuse panel and called it a day.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Arima_Matt

thank you so much for the info on your install.  Great work!!  I'm looking at the fuel gauge now on amazon.   I'm very much a novice at this stuff and trying to figure exactly what parts are needed to add a fuel gauge to the boat. I assume i need some parts for the tank itself which is then wired to the gauge? or does it all come as a kit?

Thank you, Matt

AJFishin

You will need a sending unit in the tank. I bought a KUS USA SSS Fuel & Water Level Sensor off of Amazon, but you need to measure your tanks depth in order to get the correct length.
Another option you can buy is the Moeller Marine Fuel Tank Sending Unit that can easily be trimmed for tanks between 4 to 28 Inches.

Arima_Matt

Awsome exactly what i needed to know.  Thank you.   As always this forum is a blessing and a curse.  Now i can spend more money and put in more work to be a happy boater.   Lol

AJFishin

Right on, we're good at spending others money😁