News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Power Baby!

Started by SalmonSeeker, August 20, 2015, 09:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SalmonSeeker

So I have a 1982 17SC "Got Lucky" that have owned for almost 4 years now. I purchased the vessel from a friend in a bad spot for next to nothing. I almost felt bad buying it. The hull is still strong as an Ox shows very very little stress cracking and no flex...even had a commercial A license on it. It originally had a 1989 Yamaha 90 smoker that ran strong but just had that 25 years old feeling in it. I decided i would finally pull her out of the water and give it some love. I sold off the kicker and the main for pennies.... And dove into a project that has now been almost a year to the day.

I started it off by gutting the vessel entirely and completing a full 1/2" starboard upgrade. I removed the pedestal seats and replaced them with these custom built powder coated aluminium back to backs with huge storage space under the seats that I absolutely love! The decks were given a coat of panelled cream Kiwi Grip and trimmed in black bright side single part. I removed all the old aluminum riveted trimming on the fiberglass and trimmed it and all the starboard with black Taco 1/2 rubber aluminum insert trimming. All brand new blue seas wiring. An awesome bottom paint job with AquaGuards water based anti fouling paint that was a breeze to work with in comparison to the typical triple XXX, Bottom Coat or micronCS. The vessel was beginning to look like something I had envisioned.

Then I changed addresses and the project was put on the back burner due to work and well, everything else. I then found myself in what I like to call "The power struggle"... I was now missing the season and had yet to find a solid engine on the used market that I was comfortable with. I had been looking everywhere and was getting desperate. I even got the ok from the wife after months of searching to go to the dealership and get us an engine. As much as I would love to see a brand spanky new 4 stroke on the ass of "Got Lucky" I just couldn't swallow dropping 16k on new power, controls, gauges and install. I couldn't bring myself to it...

2 weeks ago I caught wind of a woman who just had a new baby and wanted to re power her awesome little LifeTimer to compensate for addition to the family. Now this woman uses her vessel to frequent a place known for warm water, swimming and sun bathing. Never offshore, garage kept and impeccably clean.

I made a random phone call and asked if this rumour was indeed true and what she had planned to do with the Yammy currently installed on the LifeTimer. She said the rumour is true and that she had planned to get the 115 and simply trade it back to the dealer. I explained that I was very interested.

Turns out the engine I'm talking about is a 2012 Yamaha F90 with 143 hours and was purchased from the boat show and holds a 5 year extended warranty. I got it for a smoking deal and she answered my prayers to the motor gods.

Needless to write more... I mounted the sexy beast on my SC with the crane on the dock this afternoon!!!!!

P.S.

I will post photos tomorrow as when the job was finally done this afternoon my cell was dead....

So pumped right now!!!

:dance:

SOLD - 17' SC w/2012 90HP Yamaha

First Cabin

Looking forward to the pictures!!!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

StreamFixer

I would be almost embarrassed to reveal those prices...   :redface:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

SalmonSeeker

Just to top off the deal. It came with the stainless solas

GregE

Oh my!!  You'd better take the lady some fresh fish- 

Get that setup wet soon!!!   :applause:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Tunacious

Good for you.  Patience and keeping your ear to the ground usually pays off.

Markshoreline

Sometimes you just get lucky!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Okiesdad

Geez SS ,

:dance:  That is an unbelievable deal !   Can't wait to see the Pics .... And once again perseverance pays off ! :clap:

OD
19' SR Hardtop
115 Yamaha
    8 Yamaha

SalmonSeeker

SalmonSeeker

More to come! Big weekend and motivated to finish this! But I promised a picture.

SalmonSeeker

Quote from: GregE on August 20, 2015, 10:23:55 PM
Oh my!!  You'd better take the lady some fresh fish- 

Get that setup wet soon!!!   :applause:

She will get a nice basket of Christmas fish alright.

Lox, Indian candy and I had some of this years tuna smoked as well.

:yeahthat:

GutZ

NICE!
Needs an  AO.com sticker ;)
It's always good to have a plan.
It's always better to have a good plan.

SalmonSeeker

Sea trial today for the first time in over a year. New power was amazing...

However I had some interesting numbers for the first test.

I have a 1982 17 SC with a 2012 Yamaha F90 propped with the S.S. Solas 13.25 X 17.

My numbers were as such with just me on board.

Awesome hole shot at 3000 RPM

3900-4200 RPM was a clean cruise at 26-27 MPH.

4400-4800 was 29-31 MPH

WOT was only 5200 trimmed but speed was 34.6 MPH.

Now, I think these numbers are fantastic however, shouldn't I be getting a much higher RPM at WOT than 5200. I only had 50 litres on board and a pile of my tools in the cuddy. Fish holds empty single battery in the stern for the test.

All controls and gauges, throttle cables and wiring harness are brand swanky new installed yesterday. Tach say 1hr now.

Wondering now if a 15 pitch would give me better results.

this thing is awesome though!

wedocq

That is so awesome! Great score! There are plenty of guys that know way more than me when it comes to props. But I do know, with minimal weight in the boat, you want that RPM range to be very near the top of the range. In your case, that is 6000 RPM. When you put 3 large dudes, fishing gear, and ice on board, your top RPM is going to drop below the full throttle range of 5000-6000 RPM. So yes, you may be better off with a lower pitch prop.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

SalmonSeeker

:yeahthat:

I think I need to try a 15 out and see how she feels.

amazing grace

That is great. Congrats. And yes I think the 15 pitch is the sweet spot.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

blindmonkey

I have a 15 pitch on my Honda BF90. It will hit WOT of 6200 and has a great holeshot with 3 guys and full gear. Top speed is about 32 mph. I can cruise at 24-25 mph at 4600 rpm. I have a 17 pitch as one of my spares however have not tried it.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

SalmonSeeker

Called the local shop and have a 15 pitch being put on while I am at work tomorrow.

Will have some numbers to post in the afternoon.

Crossing my fingers the 15 gives me somewhere in the high 5000's, as I'm pretty sure each pitch point is worth somewhere close to 270 rpm per point.

Ssericz

My Suzuki I had to drop to a 15 and now with 3 guys 35gallons of fuel 60gallons of bait tank and all the gear wot is 5400 and without all that I easily hit that 6k

I had a 17 to start and it was too much prop

SalmonSeeker

I think the 15 is going to be the meal ticket.

SalmonSeeker

Put the 15 on today.

Managed to reach 5900 trimmed.

Chief of the Boat

SalmonSeeker

So the last few days I have managed to get out and do some more tests.

I really really loved the mid range with the 17 pitch. The 15 pitch definitely spins up faster and allows me to achieve a great WOT rpm and speed range. However the mid range has dropped significantly. At 4600 I am doing 25 MPH when with the 17 pitch I was easily able to cruise at 25-26 at 3800. Big difference there...

cruising at 3800 over 4600 was awesome, but being unable to reach suggested RPM at the top end with the 17 was unnerving.

now that the project is coming to completion, I will post a few photos of the end result. After seeing some friends Arimas that are 10 and 20 years newer than mine I am thrilled with how it came out. Especially considering what I have invested in it in comparison to most.

Might throw on some of Tacos spray rails and some black Kiwi grip around the walk around decking at the bow and call her good until next year anyway.

vacation starts September 19th so I would love to get some nice weather and some time to enjoy the vessel before the season ends.

croaker stroker

I want Taco spray rails...... but you go first.  :whistle:  :arms:  :1zhelp:

Be sure and post lots of pics so I know how.  :clap: :bowdown:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

I'd stick with the 15".  If you are only hitting 5200 rpm lightly loaded with the 17", it is bogging the motor.  Not good over the long term.  I'm guessing that if you loaded the boat heavy and tried the 17", you might find the hole shot severely lacking.

A taller prop will always let you go faster, but the goal isn't speed as much as it is operating RPM range, then a balance of speed vs. cruising efficiency vs. holeshot (what you prioritize most weights the scale).  Your most efficient operating RPM's will be in the 4000-4200 range. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson