News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

How bad did I mess up?

Started by BayWolf, June 29, 2017, 09:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BayWolf

Got back from taking the grandsons "Shark" fishing and put the hose on the motor (90 Suzuki 4 stroke). Started it up and saw water coming out of the pee hole.  Grabbed some gear and headed to the shed to put it away.  When I came back out (about 10 min) the engine had shut down and an over temp light and siren was on. Water was still on.  I popped the cowling and felt the head. Hot, but I could keep my fingers on it for about 15 sec.  I'm thinking not enough water pressure? I checked the oil...no water.

I started it up and water was coming out of the discharge, and the other ports and the exhaust, but the water out of the pee hole and exhaust we really hot. Not scalding, but hot!  I shut it off and switched out to a larger hose. Started it up and after a couple of minutes the pee hole water was cold and the exhaust water was luke warm.  Ran it for another 15 min and it stayed the same temp. 

What kind of damage did I do?
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

gfakkema

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say little to none. There is a reason that the motor shuts off and sounds an alarm. Reminds me of a rev limiter, it's there to PREVENT damage. I had a Honda BF50 that was really finicky with the muffs and it shut off on me numerous times while cleaning the boat. That motor had several thousand hours on it (I personally put over 2500 hours on it) and it never showed any signs of damage while doing maintenance, but i never did take apart the power head. I would just try to PREVENT it from happening and enjoy it for many years to come.
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

FishAddict

My Yamaha f150 doesn't like the muffs despite a brand new water pump.  Most marine mechanics will tell you not to run it on the muffs very long and not to rev it only idle.  I purchased a water trough from the local farm store and flush my motor in it and run fresh cold water into the tank.  It makes a small lake, but no concerns of over heating while trying to flush out the salt.

https://jet.com/product/detail/fc5271f0e17641ae8fb1f570eefd57be?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_dur_Cwin_Office_Products_a1:Office_Products_Workspace_Organizers_Waste_Bins_a1:na:PLA_786153992_42772716644_pla-319303810540:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=786153992&is_retargeting=true&clickid=9f884e65-c597-4044-a7b9-e3e4ab4e72be
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

Rokefin

From what you describe I am sure you did no harm. I am the paranoid type so I never walk away from my motor with the muffs on and constantly oversee the flushing period - too much can go wrong so I strongly recommend constant attention to what can be a busy yet boring process but like what happened to you anything can go sideways...

cohosalmon

You had the hose on with muffs, right? And didn't run the motor with the hose connected to the flush hose receptor? That would be an No No and a reason why the motor barked at you.

BayWolf

Quote from: cohosalmon on June 30, 2017, 10:47:10 PM
You had the hose on with muffs, right? And didn't run the motor with the hose connected to the flush hose receptor? That would be an No No and a reason why the motor barked at you.

Right, I had the muffs on the lower unit intake with the water on and the motor running at idle.  As mentioned, water was coming out of the tell tail, and the lower unit ports and exhaust.  I was using one of those expanding hoses, so I suspect even though water was going through the motor, the pressure or volume just wasn't enough to sufficiently cool it?

I might pull off the lower unit and change the impeller, just to feel better.  Going to Bake Lake later this month and sure don't want any problems while up there!

First Sergeant

Marine40

If you do not like the muffs then get a 55 gallon rain barrel, you can find them on craigslist. They are made of some kind of hard plastic.

Good luck
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

Mr.Petersen

Quote from: Marine40 on July 01, 2017, 07:02:44 PM
If you do not like the muffs then get a 55 gallon rain barrel, you can find them on craigslist. They are made of some kind of hard plastic.

Good luck

I have an unlimited supply of these if your ever out in Neah Bay or Sekiu I can get one to you.

BayWolf

Thanks Kraken for the offer. I'm heading up to Neah in Aug. I'll be sure and touch base before heading up.

First Sergeant