News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Custom Switch Panels - What Switches?

Started by kriznol, April 16, 2024, 02:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kriznol

I think I'm going to have some custom switch panels made by New Wire Marine for my 19' Arima. About a year ago I had a radar arch installed, and the shop that did the work messed up my dash pretty good in the process of installing a new switch panel. I'm trying to figure out what switches I need for my current electronics, as well as future upgrades. Input would be appreciated.

Panel 1 (to right of and behind steering wheel, where factory panel was located):
1) Bilge 1 (auto/off/man)
2) Bilge 2 (on/off)
3) Wipers
4) Horn (momentary red)

Panel 2 (below starboard windshield where USCG capacity placard was located)
1) Nav/Anchor Light (nav+anchor/off/anchor)
2) Forward Spreader Lights
3) Aft Spreader Lights
4) Washdown Pump
5) Radar
6) Acc 1

I could potentially increase the size of Panel 2 and add 2-4 more switches.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

kriznol

If you tilt your head 90 degrees clockwise, you can see the location of the two panels. The hole for the panel on the right was cut too-large and crooked. I could do a 6-switch rectangular panel that would just cover the hole. Or, I could do a triangle-ish-shaped panel that would match the shape of that portion of fiberglass under the windshield and have more room for switches.

davidsea

helm sw 1.JPGhelm sw 2.JPGthrottle-tab-troll.JPG

1)  ABS panel above made to cover existing panel hole, has bilge, 2 wipers, nav. lights, plotter.  ABS panel below has ign.switch, kill switch, idiot lights above, pushbuttons on bottom for horn, w/s washer, w/s defog fan, and aux. bilge pump.
 2) 4-switch panel to left of helm has interior overhead and under-gunnel lights, cockpit floodlight and under-gunnel lights.
 3) Flush-mount engine control (which requires using separate panel shown in 1).  Red arrows - #1 troll control rocker, #2 trim tab switches/LEDs, #3 Fell MOB control.
  It's important NOT to have to reach behind the wheel, and definitely not through the spokes, to reach anything.   I find it's really convenient to have the tab switches close to the trim rocker on the throttle lever when the throttle is advanced for normal cruise.  The MOB switch needs to be nearby as well - if there's a malfunction, you have to use that to reactivate the ignition.
   If you're buying switches - or any pre-made panels with installed switches - imported parts aren't the best place to save money. 
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

kriznol

Nice work! Where did you get those tiny little labels and what switches are those?

AJFishin

If you have a dermal and it's attachments, you can make everything pretty easily with 1/8" ABS plastic.

In my SR19 I bought a 6 switch from Bass Pro and installed it on the side, fit perfect, L to R: Horn, Bait tank, Nav/Stern Light, Auto Bilge/Manual bilge, deck lights, 6th is open). I also used my ABS plastic and made a plate to cover the hole where the original switches where for my trim tab switch, but if I end up needing more switches, then the trim tab switch will get moved to the cup holder (like iI had in my SC16) and that plate will hold the extra switches.
I also made another plate out of ABS to install a USB charger and a 12V socket, and then made a plate for my bilge alarm, ABS sheet is great.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

davidsea

:yeahthat:  ABS is great - cheap, easy to work with, can be heated and bent, glued with ABS cement, available in many thicknesses, and very UV resistant.  My go-to is black, textured one side.  There is an ultra-high gloss version, but it scratches very easily, and can't be heated without losing the gloss.
   Downsides:  Does not react well to gasoline, diesel and other light-bodied petroleum liquids.  White isn't very UV resistant, and will yellow over time in direct sunlight.
  My switches are Contura (the real ones, not the import look-alikes) from BlueSeas, and the mini switch labels are from there also.

Panel, heated and bent, sanded and finished edges, 3/16 black textured ABS:

P1010304.JPG

headduck

I love how fussy you are David.  :beerchug:

Where do you source the abs?
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

davidsea

ABS and most other plastics are available in lots of places online, but the descriptions and  the quality are often questionable.   Some of it is brittle, lightweight, non UV-safe, or not heat-formable.   Low-price stuff from eBay is especially risky.   I really like TAP Plastics, but their retail stores are only in WA/OR/CA. It's really great to go into a store and have anyone you talk to know ALL about their products.  If you're in this area, their stores are in Seattle, Belleview, and Lynwood, but they also do online sales and will ship phone orders.
https://www.tapplastics.com

Be aware that I have a hardtop,  so my switches and panels never get wet.   Canvas guys may want to do things differently .

DevMah

I would recommend switch panels that are rated CE with a min IP 66 rating
If you are mounting in heavy rain areas then IP67.

Many companies out there, Blue Seas, Marinco, Sea Dog...
Stay away from offshore stuff.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

AJFishin

I've bought my ABS off of Amazon multiple times with no issues. Heats up well, can bend easy, and keeps its shape.

https://a.co/d/2OD57iQ
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

fishmeister

1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

headduck

2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)