News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

12 volt power - socket or USB or..?

Started by Pdxmgunner, November 19, 2021, 10:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pdxmgunner

I am considering putting some form of aux power for charging phones and portable speakers etc. I may want to plug an inverter in for something someday as well.  I am thinking a 12v socket (cigarette lighter style) or would it be better to have something else?  I don't know much about these systems I just know I can wire whatever in so I am totally open to any thoughts.

Tentatively, the plan is to mount a 12v socket somewhere at the helm area. I have considered a pad or usb only but it would be nice to have a spot to plug an inverter in.

fishmeister

When I re-wired after buying my SH this spring, I added a 2-port USB charger.  Wasn't planning on it.  But, I stumbled on to it while shopping for the rest of my other electrical items at West Marine.  Decided "why not?".  If your doing other major wiring work, this is a pretty easy and inexpensive upgrade to add to the list.

I've found it handy for cell-phone charging.  I'd consider it to be a good addition.  Probably going to be needed for quite a while into the future since more and more basic items are starting to be powered this way.  I'm a residential electrician and a popular "upgrade" is installing household 120V receptacles that also have built-in USB chargers.

Here is the one that I installed:  https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--surface-mount-dual-usb-charger-socket--15830482?recordNum=4

Of course, if you can't decide which is best, there is also the option for both:  https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--combination-12v-outlet-and-dual-usb-outlet--15830508?recordNum=5
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

Pdxmgunner

Alright, thanks Miester. Those two options are what I am thinking exactly. I need to identify possible mounting locations.

davidsea

I sleep on my boat several times a year, so my needs are a little different.
I have three 12volt sockets and three USB ports.   One 12V socket behind the helm seat for my refrigerator, one 12V socket at the helm for a hand-held spotlight and charging my hand-held VHF, and another in the cuddy for running a small inverter to power my laptop charger.  All 3 are fused at 10A.  I have 2 USB ports at the helm for phone, iPod, and charging a Bluetooth speaker.  One more in the cuddy, along with a voltmeter and switch, for charging my phone at night (alarm clock).  See the combo below, with on-off switch. (Note that these aren't very waterproof, and need to be protected if not under cover)
  Seems like a lot, but the stuff is cheap and easy to install, especially if you're doing some rewiring.  Make sure everything is fused at the power source - not at the sockets.

1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Pdxmgunner

Right on, Sounds like you use yours quite a bit. It will get power from the fuse panel, 10 amp fuse pointer - helpful.

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: davidsea on November 20, 2021, 12:21:03 AM
I have three 12volt sockets and three USB ports.   One 12V socket behind the helm seat for my refrigerator, one 12V socket at the helm for a hand-held spotlight and charging my hand-held VHF, and another in the cuddy for running a small inverter to power my laptop charger.  All 3 are fused at 10A.  I have 2 USB ports at the helm for phone, iPod, and charging a Bluetooth speaker.  One more in the cuddy, along with a voltmeter and switch, for charging my phone at night (alarm clock).  See the combo below, with on-off switch. (Note that these aren't very waterproof, and need to be protected if not under cover)
  Seems like a lot, but the stuff is cheap and easy to install, especially if you're doing some rewiring.  Make sure everything is fused at the power source - not at the sockets.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TZsAAOSwcVZhMmwv/s-l1600.jpg

I like the picture but can you send a web site or URL of the item. Thanks.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

davidsea

Quote from: La-Z-Buoy on November 20, 2021, 12:19:13 PM
Quote from: davidsea on November 20, 2021, 12:21:03 AM

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TZsAAOSwcVZhMmwv/s-l1600.jpg

I like the picture but can you send a web site or URL of the item. Thanks.
Slightly different versions all over the internet - probably all from the same Chinese factory.

******* Sorry, had to delete the link I had posted here - it included some personal account information.  Search on eBay to find the pictured device ********
  Search for:  4 gang 1 Panel Dual USB Socket Charger LED Voltmeter + 12 Volt Power Outlet Car Boat     ($14.95)
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

La-Z-Buoy

No worries, I used the link before you deleted. Didn't see your info. I like the setup. Thanks.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

DevMah

Here is a blue seas model...

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1016/12_24V_Dual_USB_2.1A_Charger

IMO
If going to a USB charger make sure its marine rated and has UL, CE .. certification

Just be careful of the offshore stuff as it may not be suited for a damp marine environment.

Dev

2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Pdxmgunner

Quote from: DevMah on November 22, 2021, 07:40:28 AM
Here is a blue seas model...

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1016/12_24V_Dual_USB_2.1A_Charger

IMO
If going to a USB charger make sure its marine rated and has UL, CE .. certification

Just be careful of the offshore stuff as it may not be suited for a damp marine environment.

Dev

I agree.

CaseyC

Cigarette lighter, so you can run a spotlight.

disposable

Dev's totally right about cheap non-marine stuff. I replaced two cheap eBay ones in the same year, love blue seas. They have many options, cigarette, usb, with/without meter, with/without switch... this is my favorite but go find the one you like on their site. It's in the "-panels-DC" menus:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/4366/Water-Resistant_Accessory_Panel_-_Circuit_Breaker_12V_Socket_Dual_USB_Charger_Mini_Voltmeter
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

AlexB

I just added a Blue Sea 2 port USB power source. It was very easy to swap it in place of the Sea Dog (?) 12V socket that came on my boat - same hole size. The Blue Sea unit appears to be very well made, and I expect it'll last a good long time.

Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

Pdxmgunner

Quote from: AlexB on December 10, 2021, 08:05:19 AM
I just added a Blue Sea 2 port USB power source. It was very easy to swap it in place of the Sea Dog (?) 12V socket that came on my boat - same hole size. The Blue Sea unit appears to be very well made, and I expect it'll last a good long time.

Right on, I need to put on in my system. Thanks.

agoodhi

Quote from: disposable on December 10, 2021, 06:39:01 AM
Dev's totally right about cheap non-marine stuff. I replaced two cheap eBay ones in the same year, love blue seas. They have many options, cigarette, usb, with/without meter, with/without switch... this is my favorite but go find the one you like on their site. It's in the "-panels-DC" menus:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/4366/Water-Resistant_Accessory_Panel_-_Circuit_Breaker_12V_Socket_Dual_USB_Charger_Mini_Voltmeter
do you know if the breaker switch shuts off the voltmeter too?
'04 SR 17 | '04 Yami F115 (Apollo XHS SS 13-3/8x15) | SeaStar HC5345 | '22 Suzuki DF9.9 | OTH Pilothouse | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs | Garmin Stuff | Pacific Trailer

disposable

you can wire it either way. mine is set to turn off the voltmeter (so I lower my nighttime draw).
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Pdxmgunner

My Multifunction gauge displays the battery voltage so I will skip that feature.  I would like to put in a blue seas 12v USB/lighter plug, might tuck them under the dash so the plug areas are always dry and not actually visible.