News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fuel tank venting fumes in garage

Started by Fisherdv, June 18, 2018, 11:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

I've noticed my whole garage smells like gas fumes especially in the warmer months. It's concerning because my hot water heater is only a few feet away from the back of the boat. As you know the hot water heater has an open flame in it. I'm going to try tape over the vent as Yat does. Hoping pressure won't build up in the fuel tank system and cause a leak somewhere. Plastic tanks build up pressure and swell with no venting. If the tape blows of from the pressure build up then there might be a rush of fumes all at once. What should I do? Should I be concerned?  Moving the boat elsewhere is not an option.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

blindmonkey

What happens if you put fuel cap loosely while in garage so system is not pressurized? Never had an issue with venting on mine.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Fisherdv

If I loosened the fuel cap it would still vent fumes into the garage. That's my concern is my whole garage smells like gas fumes. My wife said the garage smelled like gas too. I'm positive it's coming from the vent on my fuel tank

bdaws

Is your tank completely topped off? Maybe siphon a few gallons out if it's completely full but pull the boat out of the garage before doing that 1st of course and see if that helps with any venting smells. My sea ranger sits in my garage and I've never had a problem but I noticed when I pulled it out of the garage and when it sits in the sun it spews some fuel out of one of my saddle tanks. Since I ran some fuel down on that tank it quite spewing .

Mooch

It can get pretty hot in garages during the summer.  Have you considered venting to outside using a flexible hose that covers your fuel vent?
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Fisherdv

Quote from: Mooch on June 18, 2018, 01:25:14 PM
It can get pretty hot in garages during the summer.  Have you considered venting to outside using a flexible hose that covers your fuel vent?
Yes, that's part of the problem is the garage gets very hot in the summer and it vents even more with heat. Venting it outside with a long hose may be something I'll have to look into. My problem is not with fuel overflowing, the tank only has about 10 gallons in it now. The plastic tanks in hot temperatures expand and like to vent a lot of fumes

Mooch

Whatever it takes to stay safe AND most of all keep the better half happy.   :biggrin:
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

croaker stroker

I would say to keep it topped off so there is no air in the tank to expand and contract. It is always a good idea to keep your tank full to avoid condensation by sucking in humid air anyway.

Even so, I don't think you will get rid of the gas smell. Do you have vents near the floor in your garage ?

We have a tankless water heater mounted up high in the garage.... Now you have an excuse to get rid of that old energy wasting tank water heater and free up some space in your garage. (You might even get a rebate or tax credit) you could even build a pantry or storage closet for your wife in the space where the water heater was.

Sorry. I might be getting carried away spending your money.  :shrug9:

$$$
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Haha! Now the boat is also costing me money on the house projects  :hoboy:

croaker stroker

I do have 47 years of wife pleasing behind me.  :arms:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on June 18, 2018, 02:51:44 PM

I would say to keep it topped off so there is no air in the tank to expand and contract. It is always a good idea to keep your tank full to avoid condensation by sucking in humid air anyway.

Even so, I don't think you will get rid of the gas smell. Do you have vents near the floor in your garage ?

We have a tankless water heater mounted up high in the garage.... Now you have an excuse to get rid of that old energy wasting tank water heater and free up some space in your garage. (You might even get a rebate or tax credit) you could even build a pantry or storage closet for your wife in the space where the water heater was.

Sorry. I might be getting carried away spending your money.  :shrug9:

$$$

I think Fisher needs something to spend money on, it is after all a new week :jester:

All seriousness, a tank less is a good idea, along with the suggestions.  Also I would look into getting a nice size exhaust shutter fan to put in the wall at the floor level of your garage. Also get a circulating fan that you can hang on a wall or ceiling, pointing down to move the air in the garage around and out.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

AJ, Sunday starts a new week right? I just spent $129 on another marine cooler at WM yesterday. Let's wait till atleast next week :doh:

Fisherdv

Oh, and I forgot all about the nice $42 seat pad cushion that I got for the top of the cooler from Amazon that I ordered as soon as I got back from WM :hoboy:

croaker stroker

I just installed an exhaust shutter fan high in the garage, which when the doors are closed pulls air through the existing floor vents.

Serves to not pull in fresh cool air, but also blow out hot air. 

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on June 18, 2018, 03:29:28 PM

I just installed an exhaust shutter fan high in the garage, which when the doors are closed pulls air through the existing floor vents.

Serves to not pull in fresh cool air, but also blow out hot air.
Croaker, is it on a thermostat? A pic would be great. There is a second floor right above the garage so I can't cut any holes in the ceiling  :shrug9:

AJFishin

You can put the shutter exhaust fan at floor level and if you want, another above the ceiling. You can get ones that plug into an outlet or you can do some wiring. If you get the ones that plug into an outlet, you might be able to put them on a timer.  :shrug9:

Fisherdv

Are you guys talking about a fan that goes over the square vent in the wall at the top? I want one of those for my attic on a thermostat

croaker stroker

AJ and I may be talking about different ideas. ??

Here is how I did it....

1. Outside vent trim
2. Inside ventilation fan with thermostat
3. Floor vent (existing)
4. Water heater with recirculating pump for "instant hot" water.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Right on Croaker.
You could put a fan on the inside, blowing air out on the side of your house too. Also think about adding a couple garage door vents.

Peddler

I believe this is the reason water heaters are mounted on a pedestal, if located in a garage.  Gasoline fumes are heavier than "air," and settle to the floor. 

Also, if you keep your tank nearly full, there's less air to expand.  I'm confident, that any tape you place over the vent will fail before anything else within the fuel system. 

You could install one of the vapor traps in your vent line, as required by law now on new builds. 
Wishin' I was Fishin'

blindmonkey

Vents produce fumes because of pressure inside tank. Remove the pressure and the problem should resolve. That said sounds like you have a restriction somewhere because none of my boats have had this issue.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Fisherdv

Thanks for the pics guys! That exhaust fan on the top vent would be great. There are two vents on the bottom below the vent on top. That would also make working in the garage in the hot weather more manageable. Peddler, yes the vent canister would be nice but may make my fuel filling problems even worse

Fisherdv

Quote from: blindmonkey on June 18, 2018, 04:16:47 PM
Vents produce fumes because of pressure inside tank. Remove the pressure and the problem should resolve. That said sounds like you have a restriction somewhere because none of my boats have had this issue.
True. I think the plastic tank in the heat creates pressure and it is venting constantly  :shrug9: You should see the new EPA compliant portable tanks in the heat with no vents, they swell up like balloons!

croaker stroker

If you have open rafters, that foil paper also helps alot to keep the heat down.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

I really need to put some insulation sheets on my garage door to. The garage door takes the hot afternoon sun. I got some good ideas now to spend a few HOUSE bucks :whistle: