News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Recipes

Started by StreamFixer, February 26, 2011, 04:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

Carol's Crab Cakes:

We have a couple Celiac's in our family so our stuff for family gatherings has to be gluten free.

1/2 lb crab meat, 2 TBS chopped green onion, 1 TBS chopped parsley, 1 TBS chopped green pepper, 2 tbs chopped ripe tomato, 2 eggs, 1 TSP Worchestershire sauce, 1/4 cup gluten free flour plus some GF bread crumbs, 2 TSP baking powder, 1/8 TSP salt, 3 TBS butter,some lemon juice.  --

Thoroughly mix together the first seven ingredients.  Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the first mixture.  Stir until just blended.  Fry by tablespoonfuls in hot butter over moderate-high heat, turning once to brown on both sides.  Serve immediately accompanied by lemon wedges or modest squirts of lemon juice.

StreamFixer
P.S.  They're good cold too...
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Kimbrey

Cinnamon Pretzels......These things are dangerous as they are almost impossible to stop eating.  Really, really good.

One 15oz. bag of small pretzels
2/3 cup oil (suggest canola)
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/3 cup Hershey cinnamon chips (works best if frozen)

--combine the oil, cinnamon and sugar.
--grind cinnamon chips in a small grinder.  (set aside)
--Put the pretzels in a LARGE microwaveable bowl and pour the oil mixture over them.  Stif to coat well.
--Microwave one minute and stir.
--Microwave one minute and stir (for the second time.)
--Microwave up to three minutes and stir in cinnamon ground cinnamon chips while mixing (they should melt).  Some microwaves might take only 2 1/2 minutes.  Once ground cinnamon chips have been mixed well place on foil lined pans to cool.  Turn often to continue coll down process.  Enjoy!!!!

Hershey cinnamon chips are usually found at Fred Meyer and Albertsons during the holidays only. I think you can also find them at Wal-Mart but I try to avoid that place due to the messed up parking in my area.  You can get them on Amazon also.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

metalwrkr

Anybody have a favorite dedicated lingcod recipe?  Russ K.
metalwrkr:  Sent from my rotary phone.  I have two speeds; Dead Slow and All Stop
05 17SR
06 Honda 90
2016  Honda 8 kicker
05 EZloader oil bath

Fisherdv

Blackened Halibut

I tried a recipe last night that I saw online.

Ingredients:
Best foods mayo
Italian seasoning
Garlic powder
Black pepper

Mix the ingredients to taste in a small bowl
Coat the fillets heavy with the mayo sauce on both sides
Get a non stick pan good and hot
Place fish in hot pan
The mayo turns to oil quickly
Cook each side about 2 minutes (best with thinner fillets up to an inch or less)
Adjust cook time according to thickness, don't overcook!
It's actually very good! Try it out :food:
Enjoy with your favorite ale of choice :beerchug:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

Coconut Calico

I dont really care to much for fish, but my wife showed me a video of this guy cooking fish so I tried it and all I can say is, I can't wait to eat it again!

It could be a common dish, but someone might not know about it, so here ya go.

I used fresh caught Calico fillets, you can substitute your fish.

I eyeballed my measurements :biggrin:

Sprinkle chicken seasoning over fillets
Mix flour and ground black pepper in a bowl.
Mix 2 eggs and milk together in another bowl.
Mix Panko breadcrumbs and coconut flakes together in another bowl.

First dip your fish in the flour mix and coat it well.
Then dip your fish in the egg/milk mix.
Next dip your fish in the coconut mix and cover both sides well.

In your frying pan use coconut oil and bring it up to frying temperature.
Place your coated fillets in the hot oil and cook both side to a nice crispy dark brown.
Once finished, place on a plate and enjoy!

I cooked 1 side of mine a little bit to long, but no burnt taste, delicious.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

tomo

I totally agree on the box fan before smoking.  need to seal in the fat

My favorite smoke salmon is
2quarts water
1 cup Kosher Salt
1 cup White Sugar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon garlic

brine for no more than 12 hours
dry it (with the fan)
smoke it between 150-180 F. till done.
Tomo    KI7BSQ
1989 Sea Ranger 17', 115 Yamaha DI FS,9.9 TS
1985 Whaler Sport 15', 75 Honda FS

StreamFixer

From Hunter's wife

Ranch Dressing

1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayo
½ cup heavy buttermilk
¼ tsp minced garlic
¼ tsp sea salt
½ tsp lemon juice
½ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
¼ cup fresh garlic chives finely chopped
½ cup fresh parsley finely chopped.

Blend first 6 ingredients on low/medium speed hand mixer. Add last three ingredients and blend again just until thoroughly mixed.
Refrigerate.
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

StreamFixer

From Croaker Stroker

Ingredients
* Unbaked 9 inch pie shell (or make your own with this recipe)
* ½ Cup butter or margarine, softened
* 1½ Cups sugar
* 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
* 3 eggs
* 1 Cup buttermilk
* 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 Tablespoon vanilla
* Cinnamon for sprinkling over the top, if desired

Instructions

1. In mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Add in all remaining ingredients. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top, if desired. Bake at 350 for forty minutes. Let cool and store in refrigerator.
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

Quote from: AJFishin on June 30, 2018, 04:25:18 PM
Coconut Calico

I dont really care to much for fish, but my wife showed me a video of this guy cooking fish so I tried it and all I can say is, I can't wait to eat it again!

It could be a common dish, but someone might not know about it, so here ya go.

I used fresh caught Calico fillets, you can substitute your fish.

I eyeballed my measurements :biggrin:

Sprinkle chicken seasoning over fillets
Mix flour and ground black pepper in a bowl.
Mix 2 eggs and milk together in another bowl.
Mix Panko breadcrumbs and coconut flakes together in another bowl.

First dip your fish in the flour mix and coat it well.

Then dip your fish in the egg/milk mix.
Next dip your fish in the coconut mix and cover both sides well.

In your frying pan use coconut oil and bring it up to frying temperature.
Place your coated fillets in the hot oil and cook both side to a nice crispy dark brown.
Once finished, place on a plate and enjoy!

I cooked 1 side of mine a little bit to long, but no burnt taste, delicious.

B

Glad I combed thru these recipes, this one is a winner, easy to make. I whipped it together tonight and it was a hit. Quick and easy. Made with Hali it and salt water stripers. 

croaker stroker

L.A Philippe's famous pickled eggs

Pickled eggs are on the menu, along with pickled pig's feet and the famous "French dipped" sandwich at Philippe the Original.

PINK PICKLED EGGS
6 hard-boiled eggs, shelled

3/4 cup juice drained from canned or cooked beets

1/2 cup dry red wine

3/4 cup vinegar

1 bay leaf

1/4 teaspoon allspice

3/4 teaspoon salt

Dash black pepper

1 clove garlic, crushed

Place eggs in quart jar. Combine beet juice, wine, vinegar, bay leaf, allspice, salt, pepper and garlic in saucepan. Heat but do not allow to boil. Pour hot liquid over eggs. Cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight or longer, if desired. Makes 6 eggs.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

The pickled eggs are so pretty I have to try them!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

AJFishin

2 Ingredient Crustless Pizza

The other day a video popped up on my YouTube for a 2 ingredient pizza dough recipe that I had to try.

The ingredients for 12" pizza dough:
1 cup of Self rising flour (must be self rising)
1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
That's it.

Mix the 2 ingredients in a bowl and make a dough ball. Then let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour and then roll out your dough on to your pan. A pizza pan with holes on the bottom works best for cooking

Add your pizza sauce, toppings, don't forget the oregano, and cook at 450 degrees for 12 minutes. The more toppings you use, you might need to add additional cooking time.

Here's the video I saw.

https://youtu.be/HJmNCJ8Ewdg

When I was a teenager and worked at a pizza place, we made crustless pizza, basically spread the sauce and cheese to the end and when it cooks, it will become a crispy treat.

Made mine tonight and it was pretty good considering I used pizza sauce in a jar. Next time I make it, I'll make my own pizza sauce to give it a better flavor.

My pizza
Dough

After I've made this pizza dough a few times, I made some adjustments for the 12" pie.

First thing I found out was kneading the dough for about 5-8 minutes really made the dough firmer and well mixed.
I adjusted my cooking temp to 500 degrees and cooked for about 13 minutes (time can vary +/-) and I actually should have used 1-1/2 cup of self rising flour and 1 cup of Greek yogurt.
The last pizza I made came out tasting a lot better then the other 4 times I have made it and the crust was more evenly cooked and crispier.
If you want soft bottom crust, then cook at 450 for 12 to 15 minutes.

Make sure to add the oregano before cooking to give the pizza that extra taste and to make the house smell like a pizza parlor :jester:

Finished pizza

Fisherdv

Do you offer delivery? You still got my address right?  :jester:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on August 20, 2019, 04:16:01 PM
Do you offer delivery? You still got my address right?  :jester:

Yes I can in 7 hours or less, it just might not be hot  :jester:

StreamFixer

Stolen from Dan Lee on a Kokanee Site.

Kokanee smoke brine

3 parts dark brown sugar 1 part non iodized course sea salt, lay filet skin side down cover with mix, lay next filets on top skin side up and cover with mix. Brine will liquify 3-4 hrs unless you're catching huge Kokanee 20' plus then a little longer. Smoke 3 hrs; last 1/2 hr  baste on honey and course ground black pepper or use real maple syrup instead of honey for a unique flavor
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

AJFishin

Tesoro

I see some of you guys have smokers. I love bacon and who dosent. But I detest nitrates and nitrites as they dont do well in my system. Maybe because I have eaten so little processed foods in my life.

Anyhow to get to the point..I finally found the way to make guaranteed perfect bacon without the salty to too salty taste which is so common for homemade. I actually gave up for years because of the inconsistency and then I learned the trick from a real chef.

What you do is apportion the salt by weight.  This way no matter what piece you have to cure it will come out the same.

Formula is 2 or 2.5% salt of the meat weight. I use 2.5% and just right for my palate. All you need to do to accurately weight the salt is break out your old dope gram scale or spend 20 bucks on a small jewelers digi scale like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-Scale-Gemstone-Lapidary-Materials/dp/B0032FQS8I

You can use your kitchen digi scale for the meat or go by net weight on the sticker.

Just convert your meat weight to grams for easy math. I do either sea salt/brown sugar/pepper or same but with maple syrup. 

Weigh salt and sprinkle evenly over meat. It is much less salt that you would think to use.  Then pepper and lightly sprinkle sugar or maple. Rub in evenly and then put in ziploc with air sucked out. Refrigerate for one week. Massage the pork bellys daily.

After a week rinse lightly in cold water, pat dry and back in fridge uncovered on plate for 24 hrs to dry out so smoke adheres better.

I use 3 heaped pans of hickory chips at 130 or so for 5-6 hrs. And then slip on the smoker's designated hoodie (box got wet) and bring temp up to 160-180 or so for an hour.

Most incredible bacon you will ever eat. Cooking it tho has to be done slow or the sugars will caramelize. Factory bacon will get crispier and look redder due to the preservatives. 

Pork bellies are not easy to find and expensive for what they are. True bellys are 4fat:1meat.  Pork sides are 3meat:1fat.

I prefer more meat like the sides. I have a pork shoulder in the fridge now that looks much better for meat/fat ratio and easy to find and much cheaper. I sliced it into 2in thick pieces to brine. It will be cottage bacon when I am done with it. Looking forward to next week!

ps: on my salmon ( usually considered to be the perfect smoked salmon by my tasters) I use 3 brown sugar:1 chunky sea salt. Dry rub. Thats it. 100-130 deg alder smoked until done. usually around 10 hrs.
2009 21HT Yam 150/8 'Hogfish'

I'd rather be drinking in a bar wishing I was on the ocean, than be on the ocean wishing I was in a bar.

Hunter

Just trying a test to see if I can paste Dropbox link for a PDF....  Here's our smoked salmon recipe for anyone that might want to try it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipa3bw7lhrz6p0e/H%20%26%20S%20%20Smoked%20Salmon%201.pdf?dl=0

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Tesoro

If you have nice fatty ocean quality salmon to smoke then the process is easy and inexpensive:

1:4 parts salt to brown sugar. rub mix on fish put in ziplocks in fridge 18- 24 hrs or so until fish turns firm. (turn bags & massage fish 2-3 times during the brine). Then rinse fish chunks off under tap and set on a rack back in fridge overnight to dry out. ( forget fan method)
Then in the smoker it goes with alder chips. low heat 120-130 and can crank it up for an hour at the end depending on if you like your salmon drier or softer. The time and amount of smoke depends on the smoker. I use big chief and use 2-3 smoke applications so it takes about 8-9 hrs. I dont smoke when air is hot as cant get temp low enough. I replaced the 1000w element with an adjustable 750w hot plate. If cold out I have a blanket. 

If you like salmon sweeter then can baste with real maple syrup for the last hour or two.

ps: leave the skin on and take off after it has cooled if you prefer it that way.

2009 21HT Yam 150/8 'Hogfish'

I'd rather be drinking in a bar wishing I was on the ocean, than be on the ocean wishing I was in a bar.

croaker stroker

Caught a 27" Sheepshead and have enough fillets for several dinners. I have often wanted to try this, but never had the opportunity. So, I followed the below recipe and it was delicious. I think you could also use Halibut or Cod.

(I used our toaster/oven on broil for 10 min.)

Poor Man's Lobster

Here's what you're going to need:

6 (6-ounce) 1" thick Sheepshead fillets, thawed
6 cups of water
1 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of salt
1 cup of butter, melted
Paprika

(I cut all of these qtys in half for two of us)

Bring to a boil.

Remove from heat and add the 1" thick fillets. Make sure they are completely covered. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.

(I kept it on the burner on simmer)

Drain on paper towels and pat dry.

Pour 1/2 cup of the butter into a large dish. Dip each piece of fish into the butter, turning to coat thoroughly.

Place on your broiler pan or cookie sheet. Pour the rest of the butter that you used for coating your fish on top of the fish.
Broil for 8-10 minutes for each of thickness. Use the remaining butter to dip your "Lobster" in. Enjoy!

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

ohmytodd

This summer I managed to catch a few jack mackerel while trolling for salmon. Most fishermen toss them back, but knowing that my wife likes mackerel generally I kept them. These aren't true mackerel or spanish mackerel, they're larger and more of a gold color. And they're freaking DELICIOUS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_jack_mackerel

Grilled Jack Mackerel

Fillet fish as normal, split each fillet to remove the bone line. Leave skin on, it will peel off easily once cooked.

Marinade:
2-3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2-3 Tbsp honey
Juice of 1 line
One small piece of shredded ginger
One clove crushed garlic

Mix ingredients and put in zip lock bag or shallow bowl with mackerel for about an hour (refrigerated)

Heat grill well on high heat. To keep marinated fillet from sticking use tin foil or a copper grill mat. Add fillets skin side up for ~5 minutes, turn and use leftover marinade from bag/bowl and baste top side. Cook for ~5 additional minutes and remove from heat.

Serve over jasmine rice and sprinkle with more soy sauce to taste

One note on handling - bleed them out really well and keep them as cold as possible prior to processing.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

headduck

Salmon jerky

Pull pin bones. I use pliers.

Thinly slice salmon along the salmons length. About 3/16" seems near perfect. I cut about 8" long and 1-3" wide. They are pretty irregular, which is good... it creates a diversity in texture.

Marinade thin cut salmon over night in:
- no qty, all to taste
Molasses
Soy
Garlic powder
Red pepper flake
#maybe a little water to thin... not too much though.

Crack fresh pepper when placed on rack.

* soy and molasses gives that kinda pad kee mao/drunken noodle flavor.

Dehydrate until all moist spots gone.

This took me about 12hrs in an old nesco american harvest dehydrator. It does not have a temp gauge.

2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Yachter Yat

Hey headduck:  That looks like my favorite "vegetable", which just happens to be................BACON!  Ha

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

How long do you soak and what temp do you smoke/dehydrate?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸