News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

MMSI Directory

Started by croaker stroker, February 26, 2011, 05:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

O.K. I know that there are at least 11 of you that have their MMSI numbers, so I want to start a Directory so our members can find each other on the water. 
(As Croaker gets you listed here, one of the monitors will remove your MMSI post,  StreamFixer  :stooges:)

Post up your number and I'll add you to the list...

Arima Boat Owner's Group  (All Boats)  -  033807580

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Danno

Croaker, how does the group MMSI work?
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

Quote from: SeaChaser on February 27, 2011, 12:45:57 PM
Croaker, how does the group MMSI work?

1) Your own numbers....

I am assuming that it works the same as an individual call. You program the group MMSI number into your radio. Mine allows for one number for my boat (individual) and one for my group (I'm not sure if I can belong to more than one group??).  I can only change my individual number twice, then I have to send the radio back to Standard Horizon to be re-programed. I don't know if the group number is the same ???

2) Numbers you are going to call....

There is a "address book" in your radio where you program MMSI numbers and names of boats you will be calling. (sort of like a phonebook) Again, I am assuming you program the group numbers that you will be calling just like an individual number.

This is what I get from the manual that came with my radio. Other radios may be different?? Also, I have no way to test the group calling feature on my radio since I am so far away from the group. Hopefully, once whe get a list of MMSI numbers established, a couple of you guys can program your radios with the numbers and try it out from your driveway. :anyone:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Salmon King

The radio in my boat has a DSC function but I think the MMSI number thing is different.  I can however use a NMEA0183 connection to my GPS unit so does that mean I should get a number assigned to me?  What good are the numbers really?  Does the Coasties need them or rather would having them enhance their response if needed?
Lastly...How do I get a number assigned to me?

Terry B.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

StreamFixer

Helps the coasties deal with you in an emergency.

At your search engine simply type MMSI and follow the links.  It's free.  Once assigned it stays with the boat however the registration needs to be updated if the registration number changes.  I will be getting a new one for my 19 as soon as I get the registration numbers back

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

fishorcrab

Depending on your radio and chartplotter....  ( and how much I remember when looking into this 3 years ago)

You program your MMSI number into your radio.
Attach your GPS NMEA output to your radio. Your GPS sends a message with your position, bearing and speed to your radio periodically. (about 1/sec). 

Primary benefit basic concept:
After encountering a panic situation on your boat or a boat you observe, you push the panic button for the required amount of time and, optionally,  select the emergency type.   Your radio sends a digital packet of information containing your lat lon, MMSI number out a specific channel, then switches to a reserved channel for talking. The equipment at the CG captures the packet, alerts the dispatcher who can now talk to you by voice. CG sends out a emergency packet that sends your lat lon and situation over the radio. Other boats appropriately equipped and configured capture your lat lon and on their radio.  Their radio sends the lat lon of your distressed boat to their chartplotter which displays an icon on the chart and those nearby boats can then directly navigate to come to your aid. The idea being that the guy out fishing nearby may render aid sooner than the CG can launch and arrive to assist. No need to friend them in advance by exchanging MMSI numbers.

Secondary benefit:
Your radio sends your lat lon out any time you transmit and the friends who have entered your MMSI number into their radio see the packet and your position is displayed on their chartplotter. They see that you are nearby and can navigate directly to you to get Arima images suitable for making banners or to fish in your secret spot.   :doh:

Missing part here is a means to test your installation to see that all this actually works.  I lost interest after hooking everything up.  :redface:  I understand that you can hail larger vessels to ask if they can see your boat on their display but I have not actually tried it.

Your mileage may vary.

General info http://www.vhf-dsc.info/how.html
Better info http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/MM1.htm
Official info http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg9/rescue21/benefits.asp

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: fishorcrab on March 30, 2012, 08:47:58 PM
Depending on your radio and chartplotter....  ( and how much I remember when looking into this 3 years ago)

You program your MMSI number into your radio.
Attach your GPS NMEA output to your radio. Your GPS sends a message with your position, bearing and speed to your radio periodically. (about 1/sec). 

Primary benefit basic concept:
After encountering a panic situation on your boat or a boat you observe, you push the panic button for the required amount of time and, optionally,  select the emergency type.   Your radio sends a digital packet of information containing your lat lon, MMSI number out a specific channel, then switches to a reserved channel for talking. The equipment at the CG captures the packet, alerts the dispatcher who can now talk to you by voice. CG sends out a emergency packet that sends your lat lon and situation over the radio. Other boats appropriately equipped and configured capture your lat lon and on their radio.  Their radio sends the lat lon of your distressed boat to their chartplotter which displays an icon on the chart and those nearby boats can then directly navigate to come to your aid. The idea being that the guy out fishing nearby may render aid sooner than the CG can launch and arrive to assist. No need to friend them in advance by exchanging MMSI numbers.

Secondary benefit:
Your radio sends your lat lon out any time you transmit and the friends who have entered your MMSI number into their radio see the packet and your position is displayed on their chartplotter. They see that you are nearby and can navigate directly to you to get Arima images suitable for making banners or to fish in your secret spot.   :doh:

Missing part here is a means to test your installation to see that all this actually works.  I lost interest after hooking everything up.  :redface:  I understand that you can hail larger vessels to ask if they can see your boat on their display but I have not actually tried it.

Your mileage may vary.

General info http://www.vhf-dsc.info/how.html
Better info http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/MM1.htm
Official info http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg9/rescue21/benefits.asp

Paul

Paul,

This actually works pretty well when configured correctly.  I was able to do a direct call to Canvas Guy at Sequim last year (I think unfortunately CG did a distress call 16 to ack).  :shrug9:  Once the responder "ack" the call and if the radio has lat & lon info then the information gets to your radio and eventually your plotter.  

I think the best thing about registering the MMSI is direct calls to each person instead of a broadcast on channel 68 to everyone where the halibut bite is.  

Just my two cents...

I will hopefully get this setup on the new boat soon and maybe do a demo.

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

woody

Just an addum:  Each radio gets one free change.  You go on line and do it (as I did 3Wgt's).

It gets complicated after that and thats when the manufacturer must reset.

Brian, check with Russ, but I think he was the first and only one.  You should be able to go online and change it to you.

Woody

Threeweight

I'm a reliable source?  Gosh, someone please tell my wife!

Here's the web site you need to go to:

http://www.boatus.com/MMSI/

Here's the relevant section from their Q&A:

I have purchased a boat & radio with an MMSI number programmed into it. Can the MMSI number be transferred over to me?

If the MMSI number was assigned by BoatUS and the previous owner has closed the account, we can re-register the MMSI number for the new owner. If the previous owner has not closed the account, we will attempt to contact them to verify that they are not still using the number in another radio.  If the previous owner cannot be contacted or is still using the MMSI you will need to reprogram the radio with a new number.  To check if your MMSI was assigned through BoatUS, Call 1-800-563-1536 and provide the MMSI number.

If Russ has his login info, he could probably log into his account and change it.  Or you can call the 800 # above and they can do the process.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

My Standard Horizon owner's manual says that I can input the mmsi number twice. After that, it needs to go back to the factory to be re-set.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hydro-Therapy

I notice non of the arima owners have a FCC issued number. Have any of you had a problem when entering Canada or using your radio in Canada with the non international MMSI numbers? I just got a radio that will take a MMSI number and would like to take the boat to Canada in the future and don't need any problems. But I also don't want to send the government $200 if I don't need to.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

fishing eagle

I don't think there is a need for a Canadian MMSI number, plus I believe you can only enter one MMSI number into your radio. What is legally required to operate a VHF radio in Canada or international waters is a FCC radio Operators card or license. I have had the FCC radio operators license for more than 20 years and it has no expiration date. I received mine back whe it was also required to have a FCC license and call sign for your VHF radio. The FCC license which required renewal every 2 or 3 years is no longer required to own & operate a VHF radio for a recreational boater in US waters.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Tom Mac

I live in Canada and I know of no requirement for a card or licence for a VHF radio.

Ian
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Wyrguy

Ian, you might want to have a look at this info:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-navigation-radiocomms-faqs-1489.htm

While you are correct about the radio not needing a licence, the 'operator' must be licenced. You would need an MMSI number to operate it in the US and also if you have a unit with DSC & AIS.

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

croaker stroker

The way I read this, an MMSI number is required by the FCC if your radio is DSC capable. (U.S.)

Radios with Digital Selective Calling (DSC) Capability
If you have a marine radio with DSC capability, you must obtain a nine-digit maritime mobile service identity (MMSI) number and have it programmed into the unit before you transmit. Each vessel needs only one MMSI number. Prior to obtaining an MMSI number, you will be asked to provide certain information about your ship. It is important that you obtain an MMSI number because the U.S. Coast Guard uses this information to help speed search and rescue operations.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing&id=ship_stations

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fishin Machine

Everytime I powered up my Standard Horizon Radio, it asked me for a MMSI number. It is hard code into the radio, if you loose power the number will stay in memory. Just remember if you sale your boat keep the radio or some else will be riding around with your number.
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

StreamFixer

Actually that is a good thing as your boat data stays with the number.  If the CG comes looking for you in a 17' Arima (as your MMSI number tells them) and you are now in trouble in a 24' Duckworth tin can with the old radio things can become problematic for you and them.

The solution is fairly straight forward, have the number changed in the radio.  I think you can do that one time then the maker has to do it.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Zarn

The new Standard Horizon radios I purchased this year give you one attempt at programming your MMSI number and then make you repeat the process before accepting the number. After entering the last number in the sequence it became a bit confusing... but I got through it... lol. If you fail or need to program a new MMSI # the must be sent to S.H. for reprogramming the MMSI number.

On my older Uniden VHF's provided three "opportunities to program your MMSI number into the radio.

Quote from: Fishin Machine on January 19, 2015, 08:17:42 PM
Everytime I powered up my Standard Horizon Radio, it asked me for a MMSI number. It is hard code into the radio, if you loose power the number will stay in memory. Just remember if you sale your boat keep the radio or some else will be riding around with your number.
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.

agoodhi

Well, I finally upgraded my radio to a GX1800GPS.  Spent a couple hours installing a new NMEA2k drop for it.  I thought this device had a NEMA2k port, but when I popped off the protective plug on the back, I only saw the circuit board  :facepalm:  I guess it's the GX1850GPS I was thinking of.

I have already entered my MMSI, so I won't be returning this unit (plus, waited long for it due to backorder).  I guess I just miss out on the feature where I can see friends on my GPSMAP chart plotter, right?  There's also a NEMA0183 port which I think will allow me to do this, but I'm tried of more wiring and just want to get on the water and fish, lol. 

Ry
'04 SR 17 | '04 Yami F115 (Apollo XHS SS 13-3/8x15) | SeaStar HC5345 | '22 Suzuki DF9.9 | OTH Pilothouse | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs | Garmin Stuff | Pacific Trailer

BayWolf

Please add my MMSI number to the Arima Directory:

MMSI # 338443447.  Hail: Lil' Nibble.   

Thank you.
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

Dai20bt

MMSI: Dai20bt. (Boat name: "Fresh Catch" 338444459
1987 17' Sea Ranger ("Fresh Catch")
2023 Yamaha 90 vmax sho, 14x15 turbo 1 SS prop
2015 Tohatsu 9.8
(Sold) 2000 Yamaha F115 4-stroke
(Died) 1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp

Redhawk

Please add our mmsi to the directory. Thanks!

MMSI: 338470261
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

fishmiester

Please add my number to the list 338472215 :hail Saltfox
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

Playin Hooky

Please add my number as well.  Thank you.

Boat name "Half Pint"  338471291
2004 Arima 15' Sea Sprinter, 2004 Suzuki 70
1999 Chaparral Signature 27 (Sold and told the wife I'd never to buy another boat; Oops!)
1990 Trophy 2159 (long gone)

AJFishin

New MMSI number : 338472332

Please delete my old number, thank you.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser