News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Interesting day on the boat today

Started by Dhil12, May 21, 2018, 01:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhil12

An old friend was in town from Florida visiting his father, so we met up today and I offered to take him down to Seattle so he could see the city from the waterside. On the way the worst boaters nightmare happened. I hit a submerged log. The rear of the boat lifted and we had water boiling . we both looked back and didnt see anything. I shut the motor down and raised it knowning there had to be damage but there was none. We had a small piece of the log, maybe 2 feet long and 2 inches in diameter still stuck between the engine and the transom. After our wake settled I could see the wake from the log, about 12 feet long perfectly sideways to the boat, but still no sign of the log. it was still submerged.I inspected the prop and it looked fine as did the lower unit. I started the motor and got under power with no vibration, so we proceeded to Seattle. When we got back into the slip I gave it a close inspection and saw no signs of damage at all. The sonar isnt working so I may have damaged the transponder. Submerged logs have always been on my mind. I think I was really lucky today. You cant avoid things neither you or the radar can see.
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

StreamFixer

And the stories that will be told from that trip upon their return to FLA ---

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Dhil12

Yes! Seattle is the home of homeless logs floating around! Haha It was a very scary thing. Something that is always in the back of my mind. I got lucky today!
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Markshoreline

I struck two 40' logs in the dark on one trip between Shilshole and Jefferson Head in the 80's.  Damaged the hinge mechanism on the 48 horse Evinrude.  Glad you were so lucky!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Dhil12

Thanks Mark. Yes I was lucky. BTW Brian (dreamgirl)says hi
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Chief of the Boat

Check to see if the transducer popped up from it's designed break-away if it is transom mounted.

Dhil12

Thanks Terry I will check that. It felt solid polking it with the boat hook. I need to pull the boat out for a pressure wash and will check it
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Threeweight

I'd change the lower unit oil when you do, just to make sure the seals didn't get torqued or the prop shaft bent.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Dhil12

Thanks Threeweight. maybe I should do my 100 hour service early?
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

BestBoats

Quote from: Threeweight on May 21, 2018, 02:41:35 PM
I'd change the lower unit oil when you do, just to make sure the seals didn't get torqued or the prop shaft bent.
Man I would think if he bent his prop shaft that thing would have had a nasty vibration running at planning speeds? Also seems like it would be very hard to bend a shaft without any prop damage... :shrug9:
Glad that everything was still in one piece! That's always a fear in every captains mind I think!
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

ATGEP

One of the many many reasons to own an Arima is the transom strength and full foam flotation. If that hid had been really bad, you would still be floating and likely could have putted home on the kicker. It would be worth it (imho) to pull sooner than later and have an inspection of everything.

Markshoreline

Good thinking is always better than assuming.

Zarn

Quote from: Threeweight on May 21, 2018, 02:41:35 PM

If I may ask... what was the vessel's approximate speed at the time of the impact? If you are close to your service interval I would pull the L.U. and replace the impeller package. I would probably take it even one step further to inspect and change the L.U. prop and other seals as well as any damage or wear because of the results of the impact may not show up directly. That is a bit of a catch 22 though. Have you removed the prop and conducted a general inspection of the area and shaft?
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.

Dhil12

We were cruising at 4.000 rpm, about 24 mph. I dont thing the prop hit it. it hit the leading edge of the lower unit at the elevation of the water pickup and the rear of the boat picked up and over. I talked to the dealer the day after asking if we should pull the boat out of the water and inspect it. His answer was if I have no vibration, no. He also asked if the hit was violent enough to kick the motor out of the water. It wasnt, infant the motor was still at full trim. He said that's the beauty of outboards compared to a inboard with a shaft. It seems weird to me not to, but I will follow his advice. I'm 30 hours from the 100 hour service and will have them look at it at that point. Thanks
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Fisherdv

A similar thing happened to me in the bay. I was cruising out at about 4K and all the sudden the motor sounded funny and I looked back and there was a huge wake of water coming in the back of the boat. I immediately shut it down and raised the motor and didn't see anything. I never felt any impact. I looked at the prop and it looked fine. I'm thinking a similar situation to what you describe probably a log got wedged in between the lower unit and the transom. Looked it over when I got in and didn't see any damage but it was scary and caught me off gaurd. I was running an aluminum prop at the time. I also have a fancy SS prop too but I think I will not use that in the bay or the rivers especially during winter or early spring. There is just too much stuff in the water at those times
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Dhil12

I would put on the ss prop if it were me. You could chew threw a log with it but an aluminum prop will get bent, if it hit the prop. I really dont know if the prop hit it. If it did there was no damage, If I would of had an aluminum prop and it hit it we would have been coming back on the kicker.
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Fisherdv

Other than a big unusual wake of water I have no idea what it was :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Markshoreline

When I hit the logs with my 48 SPL the bracket broke and the motor raised all the way up and roared like a lion!  Twice.   :jester:
However, everything was fine with operations, no prop, bearings damage, just the bracket.