News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

About those sponsons...

Started by darci, October 31, 2017, 09:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

Are any outboards, less than 15 HP, EFI???

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

rockhill

Quote from: StreamFixer on November 04, 2017, 11:14:04 AM
Are any outboards, less than 15 HP, EFI???

StreamFixer

I bought a Suzuki 9.9 last summer that is EFI
2014 Arima 21SR DF140ATL
2007 Willie Predator 20'x72" F50
2003 ATEC 24' Hydrolite DF175TL2
1992 Alumaweld 16'x54" Guide Model drift boat
1980 Glasply 16' F70

Threeweight

Suzuki has the only EFI kickers that I know of, and they just came out with them a few years ago.  Several Arima folks have them and seem to like them a lot.

Very different motors than the old carbed Suzukis.

Carbs on my Honda 9.9 have been mostly ok... just run it regularly (like 2 times a month, if possible, even if just on the muffs for a few minutes) and run it off a good fuel-water separator.

I had one issue with a little speck of junk plugging up a jet.  My fault, I let it set for about 2 months unused and some varnish formed in the carb.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

Carbs or FI, you still have to have clean fuel.  Sometimes it seems you can't filter enough.  In over 20 seasons, I never, ever had carb problems with my old 94 Honda 45 HP motor.   I believe the dealer checked the vacuum sync  once.  With that exception, I never touched them; that is, except to drain the bowls if the boat was going to sit for any extended period of time.  I think the solution to some of these problems could be solved (for the most part) by practicing good "fuel habits". 

These "habits" I refer to are things like:   Fueling your gas-guzzling tow vehicle (from the same nozzle) "before" fueling the boat.  Avoiding fueling at marinas located near the shore.  Changing your fuel filter "more" than once a season.   Being sure to always add an appropriate amount fuel conditioner every time you add fuel, and sealing-off fuel tank vents (where possible) to prevent moisture entrainment.  I believe it might be reasonably safe to assume;  anything that comes out of a tank in the ground could contain some level of contamination.  Our job is to find the best ways to deal with it.   

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yat, I totally agree. On a 1994 carbureted Mercury I had I only rebuilt/cleaned the carbs once in about 17 years. Had a very small blockage as 3wt described. Other than that the carbs had NO varnish at all. Almost looked like new. I couldn't believe it. I would run Mecury quickleen (I'm a total believer in that stuff!) in every other tank (every tank if trolling) and a good fuel stabilizer. I also used Mercury Powertune carbon cleaner once a year. Boat has sat at times for up to a year. Garage kept. I also ran it out of gas before putting it away. Of course I kept up with all the usual maintenance as well.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

PNW Drifter

No one has mentioned buying a used kicker on here. I run a 1980s Honda 7.5 and love it. It's old but starts 1st pull. I run a homemade I troll set up with the servo on the carburetor. And this old girl charges my batteries. What else do I need? It only cost $500. It's plum to my main tank.

There's lots on craigslist. Those old Hondas run forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tiderunner 18 - sold | Sea Pacer 17 - sold | Pro-Line 20' Walkaround, Yamaha F150 25" XL, Garmin Electronics, Scotty Stuff

darci

My old setup had the Starboard side saddle tank plumbed to the 6hp 1/100 two stroke six hp kicker.
The 27 and port fueled the 90 hp 50/1 two stroke kicker.
I just pulled the tanks. the 1/100 saddle tank has just a smear of brown goo in the bottom of the tank.
The 50/1 side has about a fluid ounce of brown goo on the bottom.
My dealer removed and flushed the 27 gallon before he installed the new e-tec. He said there was nothing odd about the half gallon of 50/1 fuel in the tank.
Running PURE gas as long as it is available...Racor filter was my very first "fix" on Darci!

Sparhawk

One thing that I use my 6 HP kicker for is docking. The docks at Mystery Bay are packed pretty tight end to end. I can just come in nice and slow, tie off a bow line with a bit of slack, then slowly move my stern towards the dock and tie off. Also, it is great for trailering and launching because I can do the short 150ft run to the dock without starting the 70 HP. Trailering is just super easy to get in line and give it a bit of gas to slide onto the bunks a few feet, then crank the boat up the rest of the way.
"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke