News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

I Love Knucklebusters!

Started by GutZ, September 13, 2019, 03:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimbrey

Mooch,
I have a couple Shimano and one Islander that I use.  Back in the day, early 70's the Penn 109 was the Westport charter skipper reel of choice mainly because we could go single action with it and use our thumb as the drag.  Single actions make it more fun I think.  The only drawback I've seen is when trolling deep, 250' or so it's tough to catch up with the fish when it trips the clip and heads for the surface.  Grind like a mad man with the moocher.  The long rod does act like a shock absorber though.

One question.  I remember getting some Canadian customers when I was running charters at Westport in the early 70's that brought Winonas to use.  Seems as if I remember them as a plastic reel or were they all metal?
Kim
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Mooch

Heddon Winonas were stamped steel.  The 105SS and 108SS were made of stainless steel and marketed as saltwater models.   The 105SS did not have full enclosure and seemed to be the most common version used out here as a salmon mooching reel.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Kimbrey

Quote from: Mooch on October 10, 2019, 07:07:44 AM
Heddon Winonas were stamped steel.  The 105SS and 108SS were made of stainless steel and marketed as saltwater models.   The 105SS did not have full enclosure and seemed to be the most common version used out here as a salmon mooching reel.
My brain must of been muddled last night.  I remember guys bringing Winonas down to fish salmon but I think they were more of a steelhead reel for them.  If I remember correctly the spool width was somewhat narrow.

The reel I was thinking about might have been a Windex or something like that.  More of a wider spool.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Mooch

Yep.  Very narrow spool with wickedly tiny handles.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

GoodDays

The windex was a popular reel in the early days, still a great coho reel in my humble opinion !  The Shimano 2000 is about the best entry level mooching reel on the market.  I have several as well as many different brands of higher end reels but i still go back to the Shimanos for guests who "dont appreciate" the higher end reels (drop them on the floor).  I prefer my Hardy Longstones for discerning guests and myself.  Really no drag except your palm..  and what could be better than a fine English Reel from the makers to the Royal Family !!

GoodDays Greg