News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Scotch Kisses

Started by croaker stroker, December 03, 2017, 02:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

We started out buying these at Sees Candy, then I learned to make them. The GrandKids beg for them every year.

They just have to sit for a few hours. Then I wrap them up in waxed paper and twist the ends.   :food:

Everyone seems to like them (except those who don't like marshmallows)

When we get to the bottom of the caramel pan, we throw in some walnuts to clean the pan. My wife loves the caramel/walnut combo.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

BruceL2_Fish

Looks like a great holiday treat.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

StreamFixer

C.S.

Please make a better picture, or type it in, to post in our OPEN/ Recipes thread.  I cannot make out the recipe and it looks yummy, or if easier, you could just send me a boxfull..   :whistle:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

headduck

A little populated on the zoom...but maybe that was the point...share...but don't sure the secret recipe... :stirthepot:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

croaker stroker

Quote from: StreamFixer on December 03, 2017, 02:58:52 PM
C.S.

Please make a better picture, or type it in, to post in our OPEN/ Recipes thread.  I cannot make out the recipe and it looks yummy, or if easier, you could just send me a boxfull..   :whistle:

StreamFixer

Sorry. I should have posted this in recipes. Perhaps you can move the post to where it belongs.

Can you read it now ??

Quote from: headduck on December 03, 2017, 04:05:21 PM
A little populated on the zoom...but maybe that was the point...share...but don't sure the secret recipe... :stirthepot:

Headduck, this is just the caramel recipe, he still has to figure out how to use chopsticks to dip the marshmallows.   :stirthepot:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

headduck

Certainly sounds like a skill honed over many dippings...
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

croaker stroker

Temperature is the key.  Too cold and it's too soft. Too hot and it's too hard.   :hoboy: :whistle:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

HemiGTX

AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Markshoreline

I'm thinking that the vanilla is a substitute for real scotch.  I'll make a batch of these to take one for the team.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Scotch Kisses. 🐸

3/4 cu salted butter, plus more for the cooling surface.
2 1/4 cu packed dark brown sugar
1 cu light corn syrup
1 cu whipping cream
1/2 cu water
1T. vanilla extract

Generously butter a surface to drop the caramel coated marshmallows on.

In a large pot over medium-low heat, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, cream, butter, water until the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted.  Increase the heat and boil stirring occasionally with a heatproof spatula, until the mixture is golden brown and measures 245-250 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 10-15 minutes.  Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the vanilla extract.

I use chopsticks to dip the Marshmallows and I butter the Soapstone top of my kitchen island to drop them on to cool.

Campfire Marshmallows work best, but we have been unable to find them.   :shrug9:

Then I cut Cut-rite wax paper into squares big enough to wrap the Kisses and twist the ends.

Careful with the temp.  Below 245 and the caramel will stick to the wax paper. Above 250 and they will pull your fillings out.    :stirthepot:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

Found this. Very similar method. I'm going to try the half marshmallows and skewers next time.

Looks like he is using white sugar instead of brown.  I won't mess with the caramel recipe...tastes so good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CeTS2KRnOJ0

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸