News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Anybody fish the Neah Bay Area this year?

Started by Salmon King, September 01, 2020, 11:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salmon King

Hi guys!
Haven't been on here in many moons!  Sure miss all you guys...but, since I'm no longer an Arima owners...🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway...I was just wondering if anyone had been fishing out in the Neah Bay Area.
I'm curious if my old boats been spotted on the water and how she's looking.
Sold her what...3 years ago now?  And I still miss that girl!!

For those of you that are newer on here...She was very unique looking and if you seen her you'd know it.
There's pictures in the gallery (I think they're still there anyway) if you're interested.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

ak-angler

Hiya SK! Nice to see you posting. Greetings from another casual poster.
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Yachter Yat

Hey Salmon;  How are ya?  Miss hearing from you.  Yeah, I bet you do miss that very special girl.  Did you ever manage to get another boat?  Funny, but I was thinking about you a while back.  It was when I was trying to get a handle on that little Zenith 4.0 Fisher boat from New Zealand.  I thought of how something about that size (and design) would fit with a guy such as yourself.  Okay, I admit it:  In hindsight, could be that I may have simply been thinking about any other potential customers for that boat....maybe in some kind of fruitless attempt to give those "Kiwis" a bit more incentive to return my inquires.  Haha

Anyway, hope all is well and your staying safe.  Look forward to hearing from you more often. 

Regards,  Yat   

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Salmon King

Hi Yat....

I have my little 14' Sterling open boat (The one in my profile picture).  She's got thesponsons in the back and upswept bow so in a lot of ways she's a baby Arima...lol.
But I never found an actual replacement for my Arima (something with some type of enclosure).  But now that they've taken away our Winter Blackmouth fishery I'll only be boat fishing a couple of weeks a year anyway so I really don't need it.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

digitalfella

Salmon,

For many years I owned a Truline Sportlap, the forerunner to Sterling, and the successor of HiLaker.  Trulines started with the Hilaker design and added the sponsons.  Mine was a 14 with a 25 Merc and it was a positively terrific little boat.  That was my "lake boat" for over 15 years. 

Question:  Is Sterling still building boats?

DF 
1982 Sea Chaser 17', 75hp Honda, 8hp Honda
Retired boat repair guy, located in Anacortes, WA.

Yachter Yat

Salmon;  Curiosity got me again.  You forced me to go look at those Sterlings.  Ha   As I've said many times in the past, I'm not really a fan of open boats....never mind open 'aluminum' boats.  BUT, that said, that 14, (like yours) with the raised bow really intrigues me.  As open metal boats in that class go, I imagine that must knock-down water better than most.  Am I the only one who'd love to see you build a foredeck and raised windshield assembly on that thing.  Ha   I don't know why, but something tells me it's crossed your mind at some point.  Haha

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

Hey SK, hope you're happy and healthy!
Haven't seen your boat on this end of the Island...
Yes, the fishing opportunities do seem to be evaporating, don't they?
I think a boat like your current one makes a lot of sense.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Salmon King

Quote from: Yachter Yat on September 07, 2020, 06:49:54 PM
   Salmon;  Curiosity got me again.  You forced me to go look at those Sterlings.  Ha   As I've said many times in the past, I'm not really a fan of open boats....never mind open 'aluminum' boats.  BUT, that said, that 14, (like yours) with the raised bow really intrigues me.  As open metal boats in that class go, I imagine that must knock-down water better than most.  Am I the only one who'd love to see you build a foredeck and raised windshield assembly on that thing.  Ha   I don't know why, but something tells me it's crossed your mind at some point.  Haha

Yat

Yay...yeah...I think you ARE the only one that's thought about a foredeck, console and windshield.  I know I haven't, (and I've even got a console sitting here)!
If I REALLY wanted a console I could step up to a bit bigger boat with one, but that would defeat the purpose of my buying a smaller boat.

Now since the picture was taken I did add a small aluminum bow cap to it just to give me a place to mount an anchor cleat.  I keep saying I'm going to get canvas made but then I don't think the cost vs. use makes it worthwhile.  Hmmm....maybe just use a golf or patio umbrella in a rod holder? Lol...I'll have to ponder that over the winter.

I also added a deck in the front of the side boxes and while that makes it very easy standing and such I've lost some freeboard too so next MAYBE a bow rail.  I think a Sea Hunter Raul would be a perfect fit 🤷🏻‍♂️
If I can find one I'll certainly give it a try... :wink:

Markshoreline...I had my rotator cuff surgery in early June.  My boat hasn't even been pulled out of the garage this year.  Other than that...we're staying as healthy as possible while revolting against this whole lockdown crap (that's all I'm gonna say on that matter).  Right now I'm 12 weeks out of surgery and still have trouble with a 5# weight so I doubt I'll be fishing until next summer.  Which is fine with me since 1, There's no fish anyway (Coho are a no show this season so far) and 2, I still have plenty from last year (I got 87 last season + the pinks).

Ok everyone stay healthy!  Tight lines my friends...
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Salmon King

Quote from: digitalfella on September 06, 2020, 12:31:32 AM
Salmon,

For many years I owned a Truline Sportlap, the forerunner to Sterling, and the successor of HiLaker.  Trulines started with the Hilaker design and added the sponsons.  Mine was a 14 with a 25 Merc and it was a positively terrific little boat.  That was my "lake boat" for over 15 years. 

Question:  Is Sterling still building boats?

DF

Yes!  They are still building boats!  And just going by the prices they're very proud of them too!
I was actually looking for a sport lap when I found this one.  I'm still learning the seaworthiness of this though.  I've never owned a boat this small and I'm not entirely sure how much weather it can take...which is why I haven't motored across admiralty inlet from Keystone to Midchannel Bank yet.  I've done that crossing as a passenger in a 14' Hewe's RiverRunner several times though.  I guess if I picked my days and tines right....
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Redhawk

Glad to see you are back! Your boat is where I got the idea of a "floating" skip top that I want to eventually build/get built since no bimini fits our boat exactly.
I can say we had exceptionally calm waters at Marrowstone this year, hopefully next year will duplicate the weather..
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke