News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Custom Belly Tank

Started by martin3, July 07, 2020, 03:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin3

Well.....I finally made some more progress on the rebuild.

Got the Deck gel coat done and the Custom Belly Tank in the boat.
I have to say,   I'm really stoked how it's coming out.

I will get the hoses connected in next few days and then do test run run this weekend.
Tank builder thinks it should be between 46.5 to 47.5 gals.

MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

martin3

Here is photo of the new gel-coat deck.

You can see all the new foam I poured peeking out + good view of the removable cross piece in the deck.
I glassed in pockets matching the hatch rails.  This allowed me to maximize the size of the fuel tank.

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

croaker stroker

Very nice.  :clap:

How did you prevent a gravity leak from the fill tube/fill hose connection ? (They usually come off the top of the tank.)

Good job an the deck too. No more slipping. On fish slime.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

martin3

The back half was designed to allow my bait tank lines to drop into this void area.
Back half of the tank is 1.5" lower.

Fuel lines will run flat thru the bulkhead,  then rise up to original connection points.
If there is ever a break in the fill line......a few gallons could leak into bilge.

I am comfortable with that trade off.

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

Danno

Awesome. Keep those pictures and details coming!
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

headduck

Um....yes please.

Freaking fantastic man.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

martin3

Here is the rear bulkhead I glassed in for hose and wiring pass-thru.
Way stronger than original.

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

martin3

Next to install is 38 gallon Bluewater Bait tank.
I got a great deal going factory direct.....it's nice knowing the owner.

The hoses will drop under deck and follow thru same opening as the fuel lines.

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

croaker stroker

Just like mine. Randy is a good guy....but I paid full price.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tesoro

2009 21HT Yam 150/8 'Hogfish'

I'd rather be drinking in a bar wishing I was on the ocean, than be on the ocean wishing I was in a bar.

martin3

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

martin3

Quote from: croaker stroker on July 07, 2020, 05:19:06 PM

Just like mine. Randy is a good guy....but I paid full price.

Yes he is!

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

Tunacious

Tesoro

I dunno if its an optical illusion but seems like your tank is pretty close to the top of the corner of inside liner. I was analyzing my belly tank project to be and the ply stiffeners in my lids extend down a bit over 3/4in below the deck. robs fuel capacity quite a bit. I wish the 21 had one long box like the 19 instead of 2 smaller ones!

I am going to drill a few holes in the liner bottom to see how much space I have below to be able to set the tank on the hull bottom if I cut out the liner. looks like a few inches.

to be able to get max fill it looks like you will have to get the bow down lower than stern. what attitude is your boat when on trailer pulled up to the pump?

If a pump hose reaches to your fuel tank might be better to put a fill cap right on the tank?

I'd rather be drinking in a bar wishing I was on the ocean, than be on the ocean wishing I was in a bar.

martin3

Quote from: Tesoro on July 08, 2020, 06:46:36 AM
I dunno if its an optical illusion but seems like your tank is pretty close to the top of the corner of inside liner. I was analyzing my belly tank project to be and the ply stiffeners in my lids extend down a bit over 3/4in below the deck. robs fuel capacity quite a bit. I wish the 21 had one long box like the 19 instead of 2 smaller ones!

I am going to drill a few holes in the liner bottom to see how much space I have below to be able to set the tank on the hull bottom if I cut out the liner. looks like a few inches.

to be able to get max fill it looks like you will have to get the bow down lower than stern. what attitude is your boat when on trailer pulled up to the pump?

If a pump hose reaches to your fuel tank might be better to put a fill cap right on the tank?

The tank sits evenly about 3/4" below the round edge of the hatch opening all the way around.   The pic is optical illusion for sure.

When I cut out the fish box,   I found about 1 inch under the box aft part of the boat.
It was about 2.5" inches toward the bow. 

The deadrise angle is consistent for long flat tank.   The center get shallower as you move aft.

My boat sits well on the trailer.   I don't think the fill will be any issue.
Will find out soon.

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

DevMah

Nice Work!!!
Please post a picture of your boat in the water as most Arimas are tail heavy.. this should make the boat plane faster, stable and sit more level in the water.
By moving the tank to the center that moves close to 300lbs off the rear end assuming your old tank had the capacity.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

martin3

Quote from: DevMah on July 08, 2020, 08:42:59 AM
Nice Work!!!
Please post a picture of your boat in the water as most Arimas are tail heavy.. this should make the boat plane faster, stable and sit more level in the water.
By moving the tank to the center that moves close to 300lbs off the rear end assuming your old tank had the capacity.

Dev

With trim tabs and the tank moved,    it should improve the ride considerably.
I can't wait to find out

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

Tesoro

Nice Work!!!

Dev

Good deal. Ive got 5in under front part of my box liner and 2 in back. But my box is shorter. Looks like most I could squeeze would be 24 gal with 1/8 in alum. I could live with that.

martin3

Quote from: Tesoro on July 08, 2020, 12:48:49 PM
Nice Work!!!

Dev

Good deal. Ive got 5in under front part of my box liner and 2 in back. But my box is shorter. Looks like most I could squeeze would be 24 gal with 1/8 in alum. I could live with that.

Bust out the cutting wheel and open it up!!   
MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

Tesoro

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bust out the cutting wheel and open it up!!
[/quote]

on august 8th! ( day after end of salmon season..)

Tunacious

I defiantly want to see how this comes out.
When you post more pictures please give a wider view pic so I can see how the rest of the boat in the pic.

martin3

I will be doing full write up for everyone.....step by step.
Too busy right now to slow down.
MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

B-TownRanger

Extremely cool and useful mod. When you do the write up, any chance of including the build specs on the tank? I would strongly consider this mod before I delve into a skip top.
1989 Sea Ranger 19 - 2004 BF150 Honda

martin3

Quote from: B-TownRanger on July 09, 2020, 03:11:58 PM
Extremely cool and useful mod. When you do the write up, any chance of including the build specs on the tank? I would strongly consider this mod before I delve into a skip top.

Yes,   I will be detailed in my write up.  Step by step.

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

martin3

here are a few more pics of my progress.

Dry fitted my teak accents.

-Storage locker under dash

-double doors in aft panel to access all the new found space!
I will spray all the rear panels in bedliner. (shoreline beige is the color)
Its really close to Dune beige gelcoat. 
Opening is 22 X 15
MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.