News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Pantographic wiper install

Started by ak-angler, July 08, 2013, 12:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ak-angler

Oops... I guess I never posted the final update for this project. Anyway, no time like the present.

The critical adapter piece came from a set of NAPA Winter Defense wipers, part # 60-1857. That particular set had the bayonette adapter shown in the picture below. But - be aware that other Winter Defense part numbers didn't include that adapter, so be sure to check the package.

Once I had the correct adapter, I simply installed a set of regular 10" Trico brand automotive wiper blades. And, so far, everything is working great!

1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Hydro-Therapy

AK this has been a very informative and interesting read. You have listed most of the how to and parts for the job. Even great detail with pictures. The one thing you have not listed was anything about the length of the pantographic  arms you used and where you got them or a brand and model number.If you could furnish this it would much appreciated . Thank You.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

ak-angler

You just missed it H-T. In the first paragraph of the first post...  :wink:

Quotepantographic arms (AFI #33032A)

They are adjustable from 12" to 17".

Edit: I don't remember exactly where I bought them... probably Amazon.

And, I suppose to make the write-up complete, I need to get the measurements I used for the holes, add any other details I can remember, and maybe snap a couple of 'after' photos. It might take me a while to get it all together. So, if anybody needs any more details, let me know, and I'll see if I can get specific answers for you.

Hydro-Therapy

AK Thank you My bad. With the arms being adjustable the exact location of the motor would not be that critical . Other than it being installed with enough angle to let the arms function properly.

Thanks Again

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Markshoreline

Yes AK- great job on the procedures.  Thanks a lot for adding so much to our community :clap:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

ak-angler

Awwww... shucks, Mark. Everybody here is so great at sharing ideas and information, I just try to give back some small fraction of what I gather from this site. :arms:

And, hey... no problem there, H-T. There's a lot of little details woven into this thread, and even I had to go back and re-read it to see if I had actually posted that info about the arms.

But, you're right. The adjustable arm means the position of the motor shaft isn't extremely critical. Just be aware that there isn't much 'extra' room to work with, especially if you're going to use the 110-degree sweep setting.

Still... if it wasn't below zero and dark when I get home from work these days, I'd go out and take a few measurements and snap a few pictures anyway. I'd say that I would take care of tying up those loose ends this weekend, but it looks like the weather is going to be good enough for my brother and I to get out deer hunting. We should be leaving on Thursday!

ak-angler

Here's some proof that the wiper upgrade actually works...

And, yeah... I think it was worth it!

http://www.youtube.com/v/I6-vP-m-i0c&feature=youtu.be

Salmon King

That's some pretty rough seas AK...
Di you go out in them on purpose or did they just come up while you were out?

Wipers look great!
That will be an upgrade on mine too one day.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

ak-angler

On purpose? Not this time... Ha!

This little blow was the reason I cut my last deer hunt short. The marine forecast on the radio updates at 4am and 4pm. The day before, the morning forecast was OK, so I stayed out and kept hunting. The evening forecast called for some real nastyness to blow in overnight, but it was too late (read: too dark) to do anything about it, so I had to wait 'till morning to make the 20 mile run back in to Whittier. And... this is what I woke up to. Yeah, it was rough. But it certainly wasn't the worst I've been in, so I just kept slogging along. Besides, I knew the worst of it was only going to be for 3 miles crossing Wells Passage (where the video was taken). If it ended up being too bad to cross, I figured I was going to be holed up for several days waiting it out. And, while it wouldn't be the end of the world if I was stuck out there for a while, it would definitely be better if I could make it back before things got really bad... which is what the morning forecast was predicting. As it turns out, it wasn't so bad that I couldn't also run the video camera while I was driving... :whistle:

And, on an unrelated note... it seems like it takes forever to go 'just a few miles' when you're making way at only 8 miles per hour, as opposed to 24-25 mph. The porpoises were a nice break...

Salmon King

Quote from: Salmon King on February 08, 2014, 04:38:36 PM
That's some pretty rough seas AK...
Did you go out in them on purpose or did they just come up while you were out?

Wipers look great!
That will be an upgrade on mine too one day.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Threeweight

Nice!  Have had some similarly bad days coming back down the Columbia River estuary on an ebb tide running against the wind. 

Bet that Suzi is a little quieter than your old Johnson at 8 mph.  :wink:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Markshoreline

Wow, those wipers really kept the rain off!   During the length of your video mt wiper would have made about three swipes...
Do you have variable speeds?

ak-angler

Mark - I've got the wipers set up on a pair of high/low/park switches. After using them a few times, I do kinda wish I had a variable speed system. For the most part, the 2-speed switch works pretty darn good (they're set on 'high' in the vid), but sometimes even the 'low' setting is  a bit too fast (still better than the 'turtle' speed of the factory wiper!). So either a 'mist' setting (push to swipe, release to stop) or an intermittent/delay switch - or both -  would be great. I will say that having each side on it's own switch is perfect for when the wind is blowing spray onto only one window. I'd definitely recommend a wiper system upgrade to anybody considering it.

3WT - The Suzuki is quieter than the old Johnson at any speed. Plus, I get better fuel economy with the Suzuki slogging through the slop than I did even in perfect conditions with Keith. Definitely don't regret that upgrade!

AlAdams

Funny Mark.  I was just thinking the same thing.  Only, I am thankful if mine decides to give me those three, pathetic swipes. 
You can't trust water, even a straight stick will turn crooked in it - WC Fields

'04 SR 21' w/Skip Tower  '04 Honda 130' '16 Honda 9.9

Salmon King

The wiper motor on the FahrFrumWerken is mounted on the top of the window frame...
Will a pantographic wiper system still mount there?
...Anyone??
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

ak-angler

No idea SK. I can't imagine how any wiper motor would mount on the top of the window frame... Can you post a picture of your setup?

Markshoreline

AK
When you sweep through Seattle to pick up your new boat you wanna slap in a couple of pantographs on LiLi?  You can do one on the way and one on the way back! :biggrin:

ak-angler

Ooooohhhh.... Sorry, Mark. But, I'm not actually heading down to pick up my boat - a friend will be towing it up for me. So, sadly, I won't have the opportunity to help you upgrade your wipers.   :berry: 

But, I'm sure you can git-er-dun without me! :beerchug:

Salmon King

Quote from: ak-angler on February 10, 2014, 07:21:07 PM
No idea SK. I can't imagine how any wiper motor would mount on the top of the window frame... Can you post a picture of your setup?

Yup...I have a hole for the wiper motor shaft drilled right through the top of the windshield frame.
Looks to be a factory install and I kinda like it there rather than hanging down in the cabin.
I've never seen another Arima with it located there either.

Maybe Belinda knows if this was how they installed the wipers in the early days of Arima?

I'll see if I can get a picture posted this weekend sometime.

2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Markshoreline

AK
When are you going to get the new boat?
Is he going to pull it up the AK highway?

ak-angler

Yep - he's going to tow the boat up through Canada. He may come up through either Alberta, or BC (the plans have changed a couple of times, and may change again before he hooks up to the boat...). The target date for arrival here is April 23 - just 10 short weeks from today!

:dance:

Markshoreline

soooo, are you a little excited?   :arms:

ak-angler

Nope. I'm a LOT excited! And so is the missus. ... ... ... and so are my brothers... and my uncles... and my friends... and my neighbor... and a couple of my co-workers...  I think I'm going to need to hire a booking agent. :nono:

Threeweight

Have probably already thought of this, but you may want to have him cover the front windows with some thick cardboard or even thin luan plywood to protect them from flying rocks on the road. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

ak-angler

Thanks for the idea 3WT. But, all the glass is already under shrink wrap.