News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Bilge Pump

Started by Fishin Machine, August 17, 2018, 04:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishin Machine

I recently purchase a new automatic bilge pump. If I connect the + Automatic bilge pump to battery B, and the other wire to the manual on/off switch that goes to the Perko Switch.

If the Perko switch is on Battery A and the switch is on, while the pump is running Auto mode on battery B.

Will that cause an issue?

FM
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

DevMah

can You post a drawing or sketch

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Fishin Machine

Here is my drawing hope it makes sense.

DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

troll4fish

I wired mine directly to my deep cycle battery so no switches have to be on. 2 years ago at Moutcha Bay it rained all night and I had a huge amount of water in the boat, turned on the bilge pump and it took 20 minutes to get it all out. Now that will not happen again.  I also wired it into the dash switch so I can turn it on as needed. :twocents:
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

Fisherdv

Quote from: troll4fish on August 20, 2018, 10:06:58 AM
I wired mine directly to my deep cycle battery so no switches have to be on. 2 years ago at Moutcha Bay it rained all night and I had a huge amount of water in the boat, turned on the bilge pump and it took 20 minutes to get it all out. Now that will not happen again.  I also wired it into the dash switch so I can turn it on as needed. :twocents:
X2  :yeahthat:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Markshoreline

I don't use automatic pumps.  I learned the hard way that my boat will float even with the plugs out and with the bow tied to a submersed trailer (the story is posted on these pages).
For me there is a bigger risk of a pump draining the battery...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Fishin Machine

The automatic bilge is only on one battery, so if it drains, the other one should still have its charge.

I wanted automatic when it is at a marina. If it drains the battery it will means I have a leak.

FM
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

Fisherdv

Get an automatic bilge pump that only comes on if water is present. The ones that cycle on and check for water every 2 minutes may drain the battery. And as TFF said, wire directly to the battery with its own inline fuse. That way you can turn off your Perko battery switch and still have the bilge pump active in the marina :twocents:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

DevMah

Quote from: Fishin Machine on August 19, 2018, 06:49:44 PM
Here is my drawing hope it makes sense.

I don't see any issues with your schematic.

Usually we recommend that you have one automatic bilge pump with a manual run bypass switch.

Having just a automatic mode is not good sometimes the automatic sensing type dose not trigger or the float type gets jammed renders the pump useless.

In my boat I have two bilge pumps one automatic and one manual, I rewired from the original factory...now I have the option to have one pump in auto to be powered or to have both the auto and manual pumps to be powered at the same time. Note each pump is fused separately.

Dev

2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold