News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Cheap new side marker trailer lights

Started by AJFishin, April 13, 2024, 02:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJFishin

Last weekend I got around to removing my old original to the trailer, always blowing out, side markers. I couldn't find a good direct replacement so I went to Harbor Freight and found these new little LED side markers for $3.49 each and I bought two.
They're about 4" long by just under 2" wide and fit almost perfectly on the original bracket I have on my trailer. Easy install having to only drill 2 new holes for the base. Tried them out and I was surprised how bright and visible they are, way better than the original ones, worth the $6.60 after my 15% coupon for both.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

headduck

Nice find.

Betcha could pop out the lamp assembly and place directly in one of those plastic fenders. Pretty versatile unit.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

KEM KAI

Going to San Diego Harbor Freight next month.  Are they waterproof?  If they are will pick some up, thanks for the info. The EZ loader ones are expensive and keep going out.

AJFishin

Quote from: KEM KAI on April 20, 2024, 10:12:11 AMGoing to San Diego Harbor Freight next month.  Are they waterproof?  If they are will pick some up, thanks for the info. The EZ loader ones are expensive and keep going out.

They say "water resistant" and the side marker lights seem to be sealed somewhat, no guarantees though.
But I always unplug my trailer lights before dunking my trailer in. My original markers had cracks on them and water would fill them up completely and then slowly drain, eventually blowing out the bulbs.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

davidsea

For $3.50 each, I'd just seal up all the gaps with thin CA (superglue), add a dab of silicone where the wire comes out, and use it until it quits.  When it goes dark, do the same thing again.   I don't think a truly waterproof trailer light - especially one made of plastic - actually exists.   The best thing about LED's is that with no glass bulb and no filament, they don't have thermal shock in cold water.   
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

KEM KAI

Thanks for the info.  Plan to p/u both the amber and red ones and maybe a few extra. Long drive from Honolulu so get them while I can.  My problem is I keep forgetting to unplug the lights before launching. Well I can afford a few at the price of EZloader lights.

Tom C

I do a lot of trailers. LED is the only type I use now. The stud mounted (when appropriate) Optronics are my go to clearance lights, available from many, many sources.