News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Mounting to the deck

Started by Kimbrey, March 17, 2024, 08:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimbrey

At the Salem Salt Water show I bought one of Lester's crab pullers and davit.  I'll punch through the cap and install a fitting the davit pipe will pass through.  That's no big deal other than my aversion of drilling holes.  Where I'd like to install the davit I won't have access under the deck to be able to thru-bolt the deck fitting down.  This is the fitting the davit pipe will drop into.  Just wondering if any of you have installed something such as this where you didn't have access to thru-bolt.  What did you do?  Lag screws...something else?  If I can't do this I'll have to install the davit further aft in the engine compartment where'll be able to thru-bolt.

I did send an email to the boat builder this weekend so hopefully they'll have some suggestions but figured everyone here are a bunch of tinkerers so I might get some ideas from the collective.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Wiley

Lag screws will eventually work lose. I guess a moly type might be an option. What's the base structure you're bolting to ?
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

croaker stroker

Not sure this would help, but I saved this drawing. 

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Kimbrey

Right at the minute I'm not sure on the base structure.
This is listed in their specs...The inner deck/upper deck has me a bit confused.
Croaker that's probably the only option if I go with the puller more forward. I'll probably add a spacer between the socket and the deck.  5200 is probably a better idea versus 4200. 

Inner Deck:
Molded fiberglass stiffened with fiberglass encapsulated 3/4" CoreLite Foam. Fiberglass bonded to hull with mat and roving.

Upper Deck:
Molded fiberglass stiffened with 3/8" end cut - balsa core.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

croaker stroker

Maybe some stainless steel Jack-Nuts ? They come in different configurations.

https://topqualityinstrument.blogspot.com/2013/04/stainless-steel-blind-jack-nuts.html?m=1

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

calcoast

I used the diagram Croaker posted to mount my Discovery Bay Hauler. I used 4200. It has worked without any problems for four years.
2017 19 Sea Chaser Skip Top
2017 Honda BF 135
2019 Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

If you use the lag screws, be sure to predrill to the correct size for the screw (minimum diameter).

Also very important... be sure that the lugs penetrate through the underside layer of fiberglass. (Notice Don's drawing) That's where you get the most strength. Pulling against the top layer is much easier to tear out than pulling against the bottom layer. If you think of how a tinnerman nut works, the physics is very similar.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Peddler

I'd think course-thread stainless screws of the diameter and head shape to fit the base plate, with some 4200/5200 would be more than adequate. The base is not really supporting any weight, only some side loading from the leverage of the davit arm.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Nanserbe

I mounted mine here, there's access underneath the step via a port cover and behind the gunnel. You might consider that spot instead.
2003 19' Sea Ranger HT
2015 Honda BF115
2015 Yamaha T9.9

Always Fishing

Quote from: Nanserbe on March 29, 2024, 08:00:20 AMI mounted mine here, there's access underneath the step via a port cover and behind the gunnel. You might consider that spot instead.

Nice!  How much would charge to make me one of these?
1984 Sea Chaser 17 - 2002 Honda BF90
2019 Oldtown Topwater 120 PDL
2018 Solo Skiff - 2018 Tohatsu 6HP (Sold)
www.youtube.com/@alwaysfishing8465

AJFishin

Quote from: Nanserbe on March 29, 2024, 08:00:20 AMI mounted mine here, there's access underneath the step via a port cover and behind the gunnel. You might consider that spot instead.

What does it look like under there, empty? The wheels are turning and thinking if there's some usefulness inside?
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

GregE

Remember, Kimbrey's Arima 22 was sold years ago. He and nephew Peddler hang here to share their knowledge and friendship.
He's got a walk around Farallon with inboard diesel.

Similar listing

IMG_1756.jpeg
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Kimbrey

Yup I sold my Sea Legend several years ago.  Had a 26' Duckworth for a while but didn't like the range so sold it and built this 28' Farallon Walkaround.  The picture that Gregg shows above looks to be an older Farallon with a whaleback cabin.  The deck is supposed to be 3/4" CoreLight foam encapsulated with fiberglass.  A friend down here in Westport who is a really good boat carpenter feels all I need to do is screw the socket down into the deck with a good batch of 5200 between the socket and the deck.  Mostly some side load so he feels that should be sufficient.

Peddler

Quote from: Kimbrey on March 30, 2024, 03:37:17 PMA friend down here in Westport who is a really good boat carpenter feels all I need to do is screw the socket down into the deck with a good batch of 5200 between the socket and the deck.  Mostly some side load so he feels that should be sufficient.

Nice to have my suggestion validated.

Quote from: GregE on March 29, 2024, 08:01:52 PMRemember, Kimbrey's Arima 22 was sold years ago. He and nephew Peddler hang here to share their knowledge and friendship.

I'm landed here because at one time I thought I was going to buy a Arima Sea Ranger to upgrade from my Trophy. Instead I found my way past that step-stone into a SeaSport. I like the crew here, so I poke around.
IMG_3111.jpeg
Wishin' I was Fishin'

fishmeister

Quote from: Peddler on March 30, 2024, 09:47:06 PM
Quote from: Kimbrey on March 30, 2024, 03:37:17 PMA friend down here in Westport who is a really good boat carpenter feels all I need to do is screw the socket down into the deck with a good batch of 5200 between the socket and the deck.  Mostly some side load so he feels that should be sufficient.

I'm here because I thought I was going to buy a Arima Sea Ranger to upgrade from my Trophy. Instead I found my way past that step-stone into a SeaSport. I like the crew here, so I poke around.

I like print choice for the name on the boat.  Looks an awful lot like the printing of a certain music album.  If I'm right, I'm afraid to admit that I'm old enough that I once had that album on cassette tape.
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

Peddler

Quote from: fishmeister on March 30, 2024, 10:01:12 PMI like print choice for the name on the boat.  Looks an awful lot like the printing of a certain music album.  If I'm right, I'm afraid to admit that I'm old enough that I once had that album on cassette tape.

Bingo! You're the second person to comment on the connection.

Though I am older than the album debut, I "Discovered" them when in high school. I owned the CD originally, played in a portable cd player via a tape deck adapter in my Ford Ranger.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Yachter Yat

Aaaaah......now I get it , Kimbrey.  What some of these "pilot house fanboys" are 'really' trying to do is make their Arimas look like Farallons. :facepalm: :jester:

Hey Peddler:  Don't feel pregnant. I've talked myself into naming my next boat "Aja". Got the inspiration from the Steely Dan album. In fact, I even thought of having the boat with a black feature stripe. The name would then be colored red. I'm hooked! Ha   Before getting back to the regularly scheduled program, take a look.....maybe even a listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwZ_u_UKb0Q&list=OLAK5uy_nNSt2pxzqur9OlUok2h9mJDnHQ1YqFA-8&index=7

IMO, SD's absolute best album.

Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

christianbrat

Quote from: Peddler on March 30, 2024, 09:47:06 PM

Quote from: GregE on March 29, 2024, 08:01:52 PMRemember, Kimbrey's Arima 22 was sold years ago. He and nephew Peddler hang here to share their knowledge and friendship.

I'm landed here because at one time I thought I was going to buy a Arima Sea Ranger to upgrade from my Trophy. Instead I found my way past that step-stone into a SeaSport. I like the crew here, so I poke around.
IMG_3111.jpeg
sweet sled!! MY buddy just got a 2800 commander and we're taking it for tuna this week!
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

fishmeister

For those who might be too young to get the reference (or just don't have good taste in music  :jester: ), Here's where Peddler's excellent lettering comes from:

Kimbrey

Quote from: fishmeister on March 31, 2024, 08:39:19 AMFor those who might be too young to get the reference (or just don't have good taste in music  :jester: ), Here's where Peddler's excellent lettering comes from:

Uhh what lettering??  Sadly Rush probably came after my taste in music was formed.  But....with the magic of the YouTube algorithm I keep hearing later stuff that I really like.  Lately a 1990's group Mazzy Star with the extremely shy lead singer Hope Sandoval.  Or Wildmen Bluesband.  Singer is great, guitar player sound great.  So maybe this old dog can migrate forward.

fishmeister

Quote from: Kimbrey on March 31, 2024, 09:28:32 AMUhh what lettering?? 

The digital image might not be as clear as the original album cover.  But, right where the heartbeat rhythm passes through "RUSH", you will see "permanent waves".  It's a match to the lettering on Peddler's boat.

Kimbrey

Quote from: Yachter Yat on March 31, 2024, 07:32:52 AMAaaaah......now I get it , Kimbrey.  What some of these "pilot house fanboys" are 'really' trying to do is make their Arimas look like Farallons. :facepalm: :jester:

Hey Peddler:  Don't feel pregnant. I've talked myself into naming my next boat "Aja". Got the inspiration from the Steely Dan album. In fact, I even thought of having the boat with a black feature stripe. The name would then be colored red. I'm hooked! Ha  Before getting back to the regularly scheduled program, take a look.....maybe even a listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwZ_u_UKb0Q&list=OLAK5uy_nNSt2pxzqur9OlUok2h9mJDnHQ1YqFA-8&index=7

Yat

Yeah I like the boat a lot.  Great range.  Good fishing boat.  Huge fishing deck. It's a good sized boat at 28' with a 9' 8" beam.  I wanted the walk-around but was surprised after using the boat how little that cabin provides in space and comfort for crew.  My friend who used to run the carpentry crew at Delta and maybe other yards and I are looking at extending the cabin walls back a bit.  We're talking about installing a couple pedestal seats, a bench seat and then a small table top with drawers for tackle storage and tackle work.  Originally I wanted the aft of the cabin curtained as I felt it'd open the deck up a lot when fishing but we might enclose it and have a door.  Most of the time I only roll up the center curtain anyway.  The one thing I miss from the Duckworth was a table top to lay some gear out.  Right now bean bags are required for a couple guys on the tuna trips. 

Kimbrey

Quote from: fishmeister on March 31, 2024, 09:34:05 AM
Quote from: Kimbrey on March 31, 2024, 09:28:32 AMUhh what lettering?? 

The digital image might not be as clear as the original album cover.  But, right where the heartbeat rhythm passes through "RUSH", you will see "permanent waves".  It's a match to the lettering on Peddler's boat.

ROFL. I was looking at the lady....not the lettering.  Just me trying to be funny

markymark

Quote from: AJFishin on March 29, 2024, 04:25:46 PM

What does it look like under there, empty? The wheels are turning and thinking if there's some usefulness inside?

Foam. Foam is in there I'm guessing. 😂
https://youtu.be/Mc960We2b3c?si=cqyTwJ7MiBlNiVzE

ohmytodd

Quote from: Yachter Yat on March 31, 2024, 07:32:52 AMAaaaah......now I get it , Kimbrey.  What some of these "pilot house fanboys" are 'really' trying to do is make their Arimas look like Farallons. :facepalm: :jester:

Hey Peddler:  Don't feel pregnant. I've talked myself into naming my next boat "Aja". Got the inspiration from the Steely Dan album. In fact, I even thought of having the boat with a black feature stripe. The name would then be colored red. I'm hooked! Ha  Before getting back to the regularly scheduled program, take a look.....maybe even a listen:

Yat

My Hey Nineteen pays the same homage. Though I prefer Dr. Gadd, Marotta will do just fine in a pinch ;) 100% agreed on that album, it's the one I used to use to tune live PA systems and recording control rooms with back in the day - that, and later on Jellyfish's Spilled Milk - two sonic masterpieces.

If anyone's interested, that new Geddy Lee autobiography is really, really good.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9