News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Do I really need 2 batteries?

Started by DARice, March 19, 2024, 07:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DARice

My SC17 came with two AGMs stuffed into the peak of the bow. Great for fore/aft weight distribution. It will likely be time to replace them next season. I have a Honda 90 and a Yamaha T9.9, each of which has a strong alternator. Anytime I'm running something with high current draw—drum winch, downriggers, etc—a motor is running. Also, I only use the boat for day trips.

I enjoy removing unnecessary things from the boat almost as much as adding accessories. It seems that I can save $ and weight by going to a single battery with a jumper box for back up.

Thoughts?

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

Tj805

In my opinion it's a good thing to have a back up battery and a small jump pack as well. For the 100 bucks every three years it is to replace, I think it's worthwhile.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

martin3

I would never consider going offshore with only one battery.
On my SR19,  I run 3 AGMs.

2 for the house bank + 1 for start.
Major piece of mind.
MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

fishmeister

My first season with my SH, I went camping along the shore of Baker Lake.  Our campsite was only accessible by boat.  No roads or trails in or out (it was SWEET).  Not really a busy time of year on the lake either.  Even on a lake, help was not exactly readily available.

Some dummy left the plotter on over-night  :redface: .  Initially, I panicked when I jumped in the boat and saw that display still on.  I ended up having enough of that battery left to still turn over the motor.  But, I could have turned the battery switch and had a fresh battery if it had been needed.  This "comfort" just cannot be replaced.

I insist on having two batteries.  You never know when you'll need "plan B".

Just my opinion.
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

christianbrat

1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

croaker stroker

You will be glad for a second battery when you are out in the middle of the ocean and your battery goes "poof".
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

headduck

Maybe a jump pack or 2 instead... gotta have some back up at least for emergency start... sh!+ can go sideways so fast.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Hydroman

It's my opinion that a second battery is just important as having life jackets on board.
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Barnaclebob

Personally I'd never go to 1 battery but I'll go against the crowd with some very important caveats.

If you only stick close enough to get to safety with your kicker and you are confident you can pull start it (have practiced), then I wouldn't call you suicidal for going to one battery plus a jumper pack.
2007 Sea Ranger 19
2021 Yamaha 115
2021 Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

disposable

another member of the yes group. cheaper than tow service, cheaper than running aground, maybe even cheaper than being late for work and probably worth the cost to save you from a single argument with the ol ball-and-chain.

if you never turn off the your motor all day, and you never overnight, then it's probably irrelevant... but man-o-man... if you every have engine problem and need to run down a start battery, or if you ever turn off the motor and keep lights/pumps/electronics on, or whatever... I consider it mandatory.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

DARice

Ok, I'm convinced; two it is.

Dave

davidsea

Quote from: DARice on March 19, 2024, 07:15:07 PMMy SC17 came with two AGMs stuffed into the peak of the bow. Great for fore/aft weight distribution. It will likely be time to replace them next season. I have a Honda 90 and a Yamaha T9.9, each of which has a strong alternator. Anytime I'm running something with high current draw—drum winch, downriggers, etc—a motor is running. Also, I only use the boat for day trips.

I enjoy removing unnecessary things from the boat almost as much as adding accessories. It seems that I can save $ and weight by going to a single battery with a jumper box for back up.

Thoughts?

Dave

Quality LiOn jump packs are a really good thing to have around and are great insurance for a discharged starting battery, but remember they aren't a substitute for a battery.  If you have a failed battery (rare, but it happens) a pack can't replace it, and if you have a failed alternator, won't run the motor for long, either.   I calculate that my 115 would run for about 3 hours on a fully-charged (GP27) house battery without charging input.
  My vote would be for a quartet: Start, House, jump pack, and hand-held VHF radio.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Hunter

Quote from: davidsea on March 24, 2024, 12:09:19 PMMy vote would be for a quartet: Start, House, jump pack, and hand-held VHF radio.

That's my set-up.....plus a cell-phone in a water-proof case, a Global Epirb, a Nautilus Lifeline......and Boat US Platinum Assist package.    Plus.... i have the FELL MOB system installed...AND...dive gear onboard in case I need to get into the water for any reason....AND... Two full emersion survival suits.      Lucky for me that the wife is always 100% onboard with me buying anything safety related equip.

And last but not least..... the overall "motto" of "BE PREPARED" is just imbedded into my DNA!!!   

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

davidsea

1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Hunter

PS.....  AI bought my survival suits from Davidsea!

But bottom line......  two batts minimum is a no brainer.   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

KEM KAI

Are AGM's better than regular marine batteries?  I carry 3 batteries, one for motor and two for elec. reels, which only run when I hook up to a fish.  I only deep sea troll so hopefully I get to run them every trip, hah-hah.  That means I hooked up to a pelagic. Charge them every time I go out. I carry a long jumper cable in case the motor battery goes bad. Thinking of changing the reel batts soon so deciding between reg.deep cycle or AGM.

DARice

Relative to standard lead acid batteries, the only disadvantage of an AGM of which I'm aware is cost. AGMs have a lower discharge rate when not in use, last longer, and don't off gas (important when stored in small enclosed spaces, mine are in the cuddy), maintenance is keeping terminals clean, no water to check/add.

Dave