News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New Wipers

Started by StreamFixer, March 12, 2011, 06:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

When I bought my '94 17SC, Aug of 2009, the wipers didn't work.

Not wanting to depart from original equipment, (or spend the money for the new style assembly) I replaced the motor with the 'old style'.  They did not work well, ran jerky and were just a small step better than nothing ...  for the 6 months they lasted.  I've been without since.

Finally broke down and purchased the new style wiper with the bigger motor and the fancy arm (thank you Kimbrey for dropping off when you picked up your boat).  The set up came complete with all the screws, nuts and bolts as we have come to expect from Arima.  There was also a sheet showing where to drill the hole (but not size) for the main wiper assembly, center of the windshield and 3 inches down from the bottom of the metal windshield frame.  There were also no instructions for adjustment to make it work right. 

For those of you contemplating such an effort for your boat let me share some information.  If you have never seen one of these unit on a boat, find one or let me know and I will send you a picture of mine.  It helps a lot to know what a finished install looks like.

The main arm assembly needs a 5/8" hole.  The two smaller bolts (holds the motor steady and the wiper arm support stable) are 11/32.

The motor stabilizer bolt is 6 1/4 inch from the center of the main arm assemble (to the right looking from the bow back)

The arm support hole needs to be marked after the main assembly is in its hole.

The arm support is adjustable.  The nut in the middle of the support arm is part of a compression system. 

The area on my '94 between the bottom of the window frame and the deck is only 2 5/8 +/- inches.  This makes it difficult to get 3 inches down from the window frame and remain on the slanted area of the hull (parallel with the window).  I only came down 2 1/4 inches to drill my main arm assembly hole.

After the assembly was mounted I finished the wiring (I have no idea where the purple wire is supposed to run as there was none when I got the boat).

Ran the wiper and figured out where the far right rotation point was.  Set the wiper arm at that point to the far right of my windshield.

Put on the wiper blade which set as a goofy angle.  Adjusted the support arm so the wiper blade was parallel with the right frame.  Tighten up the compression fitting.  I suspect because I could not set the motor low enough, the blade ran across the upper frame.  I manually slid the blade down within its assembly and discovered the bottom of the blade hit the frame at the far left portion of its arc.

Got out my hack saw and cut about 1/2" of the blade off and all seems to fit and operate properly.

I do not think this is worth taking up space for a picture as there really isn't much to see.  Let me know if you think otherwise and I will post the finished job.

Of course the holes from the old wiper are not used for the new one.  I used the stabilizing bolt and washer from the old motor to fill that hole.  Since I had a stainless plug from a BBQ, I made the old motor hole large enough to use that plug with some 5200 to seal and hold all in place.  I did not drill all the way through when making the plug enlargement.  If that does not work,  I'll glass the plug in.

StreamFixer.
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

BigMac

SF

I know nothing about installing the new style pantographic wipers, but I do know about how to change the arc if the wiper doesn't cover most of the windshield.    I believe, from what Don told me, that unit comes adjusted so the wiper covers the main area of the windshield in all the Arimas except the 22 SL.

If there is any issue with this, let me know.

You are going to love the new type.  The only problem--you have lost the excuse "can't see anything out the of windshield" if (when?) you hit something!

Dave

StreamFixer

Did you hear that SeaChaser???  :whistle:  :hoboy:  

Did you hear that???   :shrug9:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Danno

Hey, I didn't use that excuse! I just didn't see the submerged pier. :doh:

Hey SF, I'm glad you brought this subject up because I had a copy of those instructions but never uploaded them. Now they're up and I will be adding them to the Arima Marine Factory forum. Now the copy I have was shuffled around my garage a while before I scanned it. Any chance you can email me your copy so I can put a better copy up?

The PURPLE wire is the park wire. I think that wire goes to positive to have the wiper motor park when you turn off the switch. Don can give you details on that.

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

By the looks of that paper, SF is not the only one who gets frustrated, crumbles the instructions, and throws them across the garage.  :doh: :whistle:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade