News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Figured out my kicker steering

Started by muddman, December 25, 2013, 02:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddman

Thanks to all the posts and going back and forth with remote steering and mechanical for weeks I decided to keep it simple and something I can reach from inside the boat to take on and off . I used the stock stainless Panther kit I found new on e-bay for 39.95 shipped, and only had to cut about 2 " off the 2' bar . I did have to Fab a 1/4" piece of SS and then drill and tap the aluminum body for a hold down screw , turned out Very solid . One thing I would do different is on the cowling there was a small tit with a gromit I should have drilled a hole for in the fabed new plate but I cut it off instead . This was just a small one and the gromit was missing anyway , so it really wasn't doing anything . I am Very pleased how easy this steers . It's on a 2007 SR 21 and a special thanks to Brook at SaltBoss for a great job on the kicker bracket.

The full album of pictures is here http://imgur.com/a/BRKre#0
1986 17' SC 115 Yamaha F8 kicker Sold
2005 21' SR Hardtop F150 2016 9.9 kicker
1994 19' Sea Chaser 2016 Mercury 115 Sold
2007 21SR Hardtop F150 + F8 -Sold
1990 15' 11" Sea Explorer 2010 F70 -Sold

yellowlab

Very nice! Wondering if you have to take off the steering bracket each time when you trim up the either motor.  Also, what is the length of throttle cable you're running for the T8? Looks like a similar setup to my 21' SR.
21' Sea Ranger Skip Tower, 150 VTEC FI Honda, Salt Boss with Yamaha T8 on 703 controller, hot box plumbed and Marine Tech P2. Solas 4-blade 14.75x15 aluminum prop.

My First Arima was a 17' Sea Chaser Skip Tower with Honda 90 and 8  kicker

xplorz

Very interesting installation! Thanks for taking the time to show us.
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

Markshoreline

Very nice package and the installation is clean.  Are you able to raise/lower each motor independently?  It looks like the tie rod may bump against the inside corner of the sponson.
Are you able to have full steering with both motors to left and right?

Thanks
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

muddman

You can raise and lower the trim on each a little , but you have to take it off and raise the T8 when your running the 150 . So when trolling I leave them both down and the 150 acts as a rudder. And yes it has Full easy steering left to right without rubbing the pontoon . I would have opted for the Seastar cable system but my boat has a Baystar steering so it wouldn't work.But this system is great , may not work on yours depending on your engines and kicker bracket. I just wanted to show the pivot point that worked without bending the rod . You can attach to that point of the big engine however you want . I even thought of a L shape and drilling 2 holes though and bolting . I even put a idiot strap on the bar out of nylon coated 60lb steel braid line with a big snap swivel that I attach to the boat 1st in case I drop it in the drink.

1986 17' SC 115 Yamaha F8 kicker Sold
2005 21' SR Hardtop F150 2016 9.9 kicker
1994 19' Sea Chaser 2016 Mercury 115 Sold
2007 21SR Hardtop F150 + F8 -Sold
1990 15' 11" Sea Explorer 2010 F70 -Sold

Mr.Petersen

Awesome job. This is going to be my next project hopefully within the month.

Grizzle

Man that looks cool.  I might try that myself.
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)