News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Looking for a kicker bracket for my 1511 explorer

Started by Rowland84, April 15, 2024, 07:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowland84

Looking to find a kicker motor bracket for my 93 sea explorer 1511.
93' sea explorer 1511"  03' yamaha f60 12' mercury 9.9
91' campion 16.5 fishing machine 91' mariner 40hp sold

longfield1

I gotcha, heavy duty thick plate. Ready to go 350$
1993 Arima Sea Ranger custom pilot house, Suzuki DF140, Garmin Reactor 40 kicker autopilot

Rowland84

Quote from: longfield1 on April 15, 2024, 07:49:58 AMI gotcha, heavy duty thick plate. Ready to go 350$
no thanks I can build that for free at work looking for a omc or Panther style adjustable one.

Tom C

You'll want an OMC if you want an adjustable one. That is if you can find one with a charged cylinder. Vastly superior to all others.

Fixed mounts are much stronger.

longfield1

Your talking like the ones that came with our boats originally?
1993 Arima Sea Ranger custom pilot house, Suzuki DF140, Garmin Reactor 40 kicker autopilot

Rowland84

headduck

Vast majority of folks go to fixed bracket.

The motor trims out of the way for planing and has no issues while towing. If you can fab one for free, I cant imagine losing on that deal.

The spring loaded brackets show up on CL often if one doesnt show here.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Rowland84

Picked up this stanless garelick eez in .kicker bracket today for $65!!

fishmeister

Mine has a plastic/composite motor plate (instead of wood).  Otherwise, I'm pretty sure mine is identical to yours.

Sometimes, I wish I had some form of hydraulic system.  But, not enough to want to pay for it.  My Garelick works and gets the job done just fine.  I do find that it helps to shoot some WD40 on the moving parts once in a while.

Good find.
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

Rowland84

Quote from: fishmeister on April 27, 2024, 04:53:07 PMMine has a plastic/composite motor plate (instead of wood).  Otherwise, I'm pretty sure mine is identical to yours.

Sometimes, I wish I had some form of hydraulic system.  But, not enough to want to pay for it.  My Garelick works and gets the job done just fine.  I do find that it helps to shoot some WD40 on the moving parts once in a while.

Good find.
I'm going to be getting one of the light weight yamaha 6hp four stroke motors so it should not be to bad to lift!

fishmeister

Quote from: Rowland84 on April 27, 2024, 06:00:54 PM
Quote from: fishmeister on April 27, 2024, 04:53:07 PMMine has a plastic/composite motor plate (instead of wood).  Otherwise, I'm pretty sure mine is identical to yours.

Good find.
I'm going to be getting one of the light weight yamaha 6hp four stroke motors so it should not be to bad to lift!

Should be fine.  I'm running a 9.9 Merc.  Not too heavy as it's a basic short-shaft, rope start, no power tilt/trim.  I believe the listed weight is 86#.

Do note that I'm using a short-shaft as I wanted the ability to move it to my Lund, should the need arise.  It works fine, but it is not really the best choice for a kicker on an Arima.  If you are going to have this as a dedicated kicker, get the long-shaft version.

Tom C

QuoteI'm going to be getting one of the light weight yamaha 6hp four stroke motors so it should not be to bad to lift!

Be careful what you wish for; those single cylinder four strokes can set up some significant harmonic vibrations that make them terrible for trolling.

fishmeister

Here's how I strap mine down for travel.  I use the cheap ratchet strap to cinch up the motor so there's little/no up and down play in the bracket.  It really helps reduce the bouncing when going down the road.

You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment.

Ed De Explorer

I'll agree with Tom C.

I have a 6hp tohatsu 1 cylinder 4 stroke and after a few hours trolling I start the main 2 stroke for some piece and quiet.

Yikes.

Ed

Ed
91 Sea Explorer 16'

Tom C

This may sound ridiculous, but if you want a light weight, super reliable, smooth and quiet running trolling motor for a small boat, find an OMC 6 HP outboard from the mid 1970s to c.1990

They are countless examples out there still running, so they are cheap to buy, easy to work on, and the only downside is you need a separate fuel tank for the 50:1 mix

fishmeister

Quote from: Tom C on April 27, 2024, 06:50:47 PMThis may sound ridiculous, but if you want a light weight, super reliable, smooth and quiet running trolling motor for a small boat, find an OMC 6 HP outboard from the mid 1970s to c.1990

They are countless examples out there still running, so they are cheap to buy, easy to work on, and the only downside is you need a separate fuel tank for the 50:1 mix

Do you mean something like an '84 Johnson 9.9?  I happen to have one of those that I'd part with.  It is a short-shaft.

Tom C

No, I mean a 6 HP. They were just especially smooth and quiet, not like the 9.9/15s, which are super powerful, just not great trolling motors.

Nanserbe

Quote from: Rowland84 on April 27, 2024, 04:29:58 PMPicked up this stanless garelick eez in .kicker bracket today for $65!!

Not trying to piss in your cheerios, but be real careful about those Garelick/Panther style brackets. They can cause you a lot of problems.

https://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=25127.msg294281#msg294281

At the advice of a friend that works for Arima, the Garelick was the first thing I took off the boat to make my own bracket.
2003 19' Sea Ranger HT
2015 Honda BF115
2015 Yamaha T9.9

fishmeister

Quote from: Tom C on April 27, 2024, 07:26:53 PMNo, I mean a 6 HP. They were just especially smooth and quiet, not like the 9.9/15s, which are super powerful, just not great trolling motors.

I really enjoy/value reading your input here....But, I think this just might be the one time that I kind of disagree (respectfully, of course).

When I got my Lund, it had an '88 Evinrude 6hp.  It was a good motor.  It was smooth-running, less-smoky at 100:1 mix, and could run forever on a tank of gas.  But, it was just too under-powered for the boat.  I could get onto plane if it was just me and almost no gear in the boat (and that took a bit of effort).  If I had a kid and/or gear in the boat, then it was a no-go.

I got a deal on my '84 Johnson 9.9.  It definitely had more oomph, especially on the river.  But, I have also trolled for hours on end with it.  Smooth-running, reliable, and will dial down nice and slow, just barely puttering along.  The only downside was a little more stink from the 50:1 mix ratio.  I would have actually considered putting it on my Arima except that I've been known to take my Arima to lakes where old 2-strokes are banned.

I will say that I do agree with the opinion that a small 2-cylinder motor is probably going to be much smoother-running than a 1-cylinder.  Yes, that '88 6hp was a 2-cylinder.

Just my penny.

Tom C

I owned a 12' Lund for 20 years, bought new at Jacobsen's in 1983. It was first powered by a 1974 Johnson 6, then by a 1988 Johnson 9.9

The 6 was marginal for getting on plane, but we caught a lot of salmon in the 1980s with it.

With 9.9, the thing screamed, could easily do 25 MPH with just me. It remains the only powerboat I have ever flipped (during some pretty extreme maneuvering/horsing around)

But it was loud at speed, and not nearly as smooth as the old 6

I own a 1986 Johnson 15 now, if anybody wants one...

Almost forgot, I also owned a 1983 Johnson 15, then a 1990 Johnson 9.9, both as trolling motors on an 18' center console I had. Later, I used a two stroke Yamaha 8 on it, and that was much quieter, because it is very similar in design to the old OMC 6s, 7.5s, and 8s.

Omega3

In over 40 years of boat ownership the best upgrade was a 4 stroke kicker.F8 Yami with long shaft is 87 lb.Smooth and won't make you feel like you've been huffing smoke all day.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8