News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Honda on NMEA 2K network, no fuel used data?

Started by Fisherdv, March 25, 2018, 09:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

I just installed an HDS-7 and networked my Honda motor to it. The info screen shows fuel economy, but no fuel used or fuel remaining. That gauge is not highlighted. I thought the motor would relay this info but do I need the Lowrance EP-85 R fuel data storage device hooked to the network to be able to see fuel used/remaining on my info screen?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Hunter

This may be a dumb question.....but is there an option for you to program in fuel available?   Seems like you'd need that input in order for any outboard to be able to tell you fuel remaining.    Maybe it won't engage the fuel used / remaining option without the initial set-up of fuel capacity....or fuel available.     :shrug9:   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Fisherdv

Thx Hunter, yes I entered in that I had 25 gallons on board. On the info dash panel the fuel used gauge is dark (not highlighted). I did a little research and it seems I may need that EP-85 R thing plugged into the network. Seems strange as I'm sure the motor should know the fuel used on its own. Maybe it's a Lowrance HDS thing so they can sell you another $90 part that they know you need :hoboy: :shrug9:

gfakkema

Fisher, not sure if your system is different, but it works on my HDS Gen 2 connected to my Suzuki without another sensor. Mine had issues as well until I configured the system and input fuel tank size etc. If you want it to be accurate you have to input fuel added everytime. It gets to be a pain in the ass so I don't use the fuel gauge on the HDS and instead rely on the analog gauge. If you have already configured it and it still won't show, you could try calling Lowrance customer service.
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Fisherdv

GK, according to the HDS gen 3 manual the Suzuki motors will work without any add ons.

Threeweight

In the settings of your chart plotter (or in the set up for your digital gauge), make sure your fuel monitor is set to measure gallons per hour, not MPG. 

On my 225, the only way my chart plotter can display total fuel used and fuel remaining is if the system is using GPH.  You may also have to run a calibration procedure through the plotter's set up options. 

I used to get that data off my Suzuki 90 to a 1st gen Lowrance HDS with no additional hardware other than the cable.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

GregE

Not all engines have NMEA sensors.  On our SE with a 75 HOnda I needed to put a fuel sensor in the line that connected to the NMEA backbone.  It worked well- the usage numbers tracked very close to what it took to refill.  I'm really picky about knowing whats going on. 
Cost about $ 140 ( i think )

https://www.pricefalls.com/product/garmin-gfs10-fuel-sensor/8143509?source=Bing&medium=cpc&term=&content=PLA&campaign=278176247&ad=76072482641374

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Fisherdv

3wt, I will try as you say setting to GPH. GregE, I think this is what I need. It's not a fuel flow sensor, just a plug in to the network. Scroll down and read the product description. Says it's needed for a Honda motor to show fuel data. What do you guys think? Do I need this?

https://www.marine.com/products/11-56146/lowrance-ep-85r-fuel-data-storage-device

GregE

DV, that looks more like a thumb drive- storing data but Not measuring fuel flow.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Fisherdv

HDS manual says I need either this or a fuel flow sensor. This device says it reads the fuel data from the motor. I should maybe call Lowrance tech support. They don't make nothing easy do they

Threeweight

If you look at the link you posted, that product has been discontinued.  It has been replaced by this "Fuel Data Manager."

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Navico-Fuel-Data-Manager-p/low000-11522-001.htm

I did some Googling, and Greg is right, it is basically a memory module like a thumb drive.  Lowrance units don't have built in memory to store data between uses, so every time you turn the plotter off the fuel used would reset (so no way of seeing fuel used per season, or the amount remaining in the tank).  The Suzuki interface cable has built-in memory, thus no need to use these on Suzuki motors with Lowrance products.

So yep, you made need this in order to store data between "sessions" with your Lowrance.  Or you could upgrade to Raymarine or Garmin  :whistle:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

3WT, we were thinking the same thing! I just ordered that exact one from Hodges Marine before I read your post. Thank you for researching. I did some research too and found lots of info on THT about it. You pay top dollar for a top of the line Lowrance unit and they leave out a simple thing that should be built in to the unit so you have to spend MORE $$$. Kinda like some apple products  :whistle:

Fishin Machine

Not sure if any one remembers I found this in my boat, but not setup. My new Lowrance carbon is installed, now I will set it up next time the boat is taken out.

One of my goals with the new fish finder and radar is the overlay of the radar on navigation. Now Lowrance told me a Point 1 device needs to be installed. That part cost another $199.00. Does the bleeding ever stop?
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

Fisherdv

That looks like a fuel flow meter in your picture

Fishin Machine

Yes, It is a fuel flow meter, I need to set it up in the Lowrance next time the boat is taken out.

Tomorrow, I'm going to West Marine and pick up the point one and add it to the NMEA 2000 network.

FM
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

Fisherdv

I'm waiting for my $90 fuel storage device to arrive. After I just bought a new HDS-7, Honda network cable, NMEA starter kit, etc., etc.  I agree, it never ends :hoboy:

gfakkema

All the parts for my motor to connect to my HDS were discontinued by Lowrance/Suzuki. Long story short, I had to find a "used" motor interface cable. Luckily another member on this site (T-Rex) had one of the rare cables BNIB. Without that, it would not have been possible. On top of that, I had to custom order plugs/comnectors, pins and make a one of a kind wiring harness. The sad thing is that I would've bought the parts if I could. There is an entire thread with hundreds of pages regarding connecting Suzuki's to McD's over on THT.
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Fisherdv

I hooked up the fuel data manager to my NMEA network and sure enough, now fuel used data shows up on my HDS-7. I haven't ran the boat with it yet but looks like this is a must have add on for a Honda motor and HDS to have fuel used data