News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Battery relocation

Started by mardog, March 24, 2017, 07:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mardog

I see some members have moved their battery(s) forward and into the bilge.  Not to be a smarty pants, but 40+ years ocean going experience has taught me to put nothing in the bilge that can't take a drenching.  Same with batteries aft.  Ship a bunch of water over the side and it is going to run aft and short out whatever isn't tightly sealed.  The only personal experience I've had with how well a submerged battery worked is, it didn't.  Course, this is just one fool's opinion................Marstin
1989 SR19
2006 115 Honda EFI
2015 Suzuki 9.9 kicker electric start/tilt XL shaft
fully retired

gfakkema

When most do the relocate, they are putting batteries and associated components in the cuddy, NOT the bilge.  :wink:
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Yachter Yat

What Mardog is saying is the reason I have my battery strapped-down in a battery box...........the plastic type with the cover that goes down over the edge of the box base.  If the water level comes up, it does offer *some* protection against flooding........even if only long enough to keep the bilge pump moving.  I get the chills when I see pics of batteries just sitting in the open in the backside of these Arimas with no level of protection.  We can never forget most of these boats are not self bailing.  My :twocents:

Yat 
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

gfakkema

If you do the relocate and the batteries are "in water", I think you have bigger problems than battery failure.

troll4fish

I moved my 2 batteries forward last year but they are not in the "bilge". They are where the porta-potty used to reside and inside of individual battery boxes that are strapped down and then the area is covered with the 1/2 plywood cover and it is bolted down and on top of it resides a 11-1/2 gallon extra fuel tank. The area is then blocked off by a piece of star board and I mounted my onboard charger to it. By moving the batteries forward the boat gets up on step quicker and also sits a little higher in the rear when at slow speeds. If water gets to the batteries I have WAY bigger problems than worrying about them being shorted out!
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

gfakkema

Quote from: troll4fish on March 24, 2017, 11:51:00 AM
I moved my 2 batteries forward last year but they are not in the "bilge". They are where the porta-potty used to reside... If water gets to the batteries I have WAY bigger problems than worrying about them being shorted out!

Exactly.

Kahunanui

on same subject : AGM batteries, long used in aircraft and touted to be correctly installed up, down and sideways, wondering if anyone has actual experience with mounting your AGM batteries when relocating

in any attitude other than standard orientation,

in most cases the air space over a standard install is wasted space to some degree and was thinking if installed 'on end' for example, more batterys in same space ±

?

Stay Pono,  Lawai'a        -        U.S.C.G. -  O.U.P.V.

2001 SC 15'11" 75 hp Honda re-carbed to 90 w/ 9.9 Honda boot. Hawaii is home, currently @ USMC Camp Lejeune NC

Threeweight

I used AGM's in my old Arima battery relocation.  I did not do anything crazy like mount them upside down, I just wanted them because of the design being shock and leak proof since they would be up in the cuddy.

I built a platform compartment for them out of 1/2" Starboard, mounted to the hull liner.  If mine ever got into a situation where they'd be underwater, you'd have water lapping around your ankles while sitting at the helm.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

DevMah

Quote from: Threeweight on March 24, 2017, 01:48:10 PM
I used AGM's in my old Arima battery relocation.  I did not do anything crazy like mount them upside down, I just wanted them because of the design being shock and leak proof since they would be up in the cuddy.

I built a platform compartment for them out of 1/2" Starboard, mounted to the hull liner.  If mine ever got into a situation where they'd be underwater, you'd have water lapping around your ankles while sitting at the helm.

IMO

-moving the battery's  to the cuddly is not a issue as long as they are AGM type as lead acid type batteries produce hydrogen gas while charging and are not good for shock (impact caused by chopping through waves)
-moving the batteries to the cuddly removes them from the elements.
-on smaller boats it helps  weigh down the front giving better balance.

That being said I have not seen any pictures of anyone cutting the deck and placing the battery's in the bilge so far....

As per Threeweight if the water is at your ankles... you're last worrie should be the battery's.

There are specifications in battery mounting
33 CFR 143.20 
ABYC E10.7
Transport Canada TP 127 E sub section 55.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

58Johnson

Batteries (AGM) in cuddy:

2002 Sea Chaser 15 11
Yamaha F70 Yamaha F8

DevMah

Quote from: DevMah on March 24, 2017, 08:32:54 PM
Quote from: Threeweight on March 24, 2017, 01:48:10 PM

IMO

-moving the battery's  to the cuddly is not a issue as long as they are AGM type as lead acid type batteries produce hydrogen gas while charging and are not good for shock (impact caused by chopping through waves)
-moving the batteries to the cuddly removes them from the elements.
-on smaller boats it helps  weigh down the front giving better balance.

That being said I have not seen any pictures of anyone cutting the deck and placing the battery's in the bilge so far....

As per Threeweight if the water is at your ankles... you're last worrie should be the battery's.

There are specifications in battery mounting
33 CFR 143.20 
ABYC E10.7
Transport Canada TP 127 E sub section 55.

Dev
Sorry should have typed.

33 CFR 183.420

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold