News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

another Toyota Tacoma towing thread

Started by san miguel, February 16, 2016, 01:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATGEP

I am 100% satisfied with the 2015 F150 4x4 supercrew with 2.7 eco boost. Gobs of power 21 mpg over 9k including 500 miles towing boat. 23 mpg on long hwy runs. The engine is the best of the bunch imho. Built and runs just like a diesel with a great reliability record so far (as in no known common failures). I figure I have 5 yr 60K to decide if it is good or not. I also wanted a high production truck with available cheap long term parts. I figure to keep this 10-20 years so buying a popular rig was important to me.  Good luck with your decision.

Flying Arima

Quote from: atgep on February 18, 2016, 06:18:07 PM
I am 100% satisfied with the 2015 F150 4x4 supercrew with 2.7 eco boost. Gobs of power 21 mpg over 9k including 500 miles towing boat. 23 mpg on long hwy runs. The engine is the best of the bunch imho. Built and runs just like a diesel with a great reliability record so far (as in no known common failures). I figure I have 5 yr 60K to decide if it is good or not. I also wanted a high production truck with available cheap long term parts. I figure to keep this 10-20 years so buying a popular rig was important to me.  Good luck with your decision.

:yeahthat: I have the same truck with 30k fords Eco boost is simply amazing anyone shopping in the 1/2 ton class should at least test drive one. I towed wedocq's 21ft hardtop and couldn't hardly tell I had anything back there. Just something to consider anyways ways I will stop now I sound like a salesman
James

2015 19ft sea chaser / REEL TYME
2015 yamaha 115

Keel-er

I have been towing my 17' Ranger with my 2002 Tacoma Crew Cab with V6 all over Oregon.  My brother and I towed it from Big Bear Lake in So Cal to Portland with his 2010 Tacoma.  Both tow fine.
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

Arimaway

Since the topic is and the opinions have been on vehicles suitable to to I wont start a new thread and just pose my question here.

I just test drove a 2004 Jeep Liberty with 122K miles for sale by a private seller.  Nice little 4x4 with good power.  It has a 3.7L V6 with 5000 lb towing capacity. The SR17, motor and trailer weight a total of around 2,600 lbs.  Has anyone towed with a Jeep Liberty?  I definitely would add brakes to the trailer.  It does not have the hitch so I would have to add one. But at least I know it hasn't been used for trailering.

Opinions?
1987 Sea Ranger 17.
2016 Mercury 90 Command Thrust 4-STROKE

First Cabin

Quote from: Arimaway on February 20, 2016, 03:18:56 PM
Since the topic is and the opinions have been on vehicles suitable to to I wont start a new thread and just pose my question here.

I just test drove a 2004 Jeep Liberty with 122K miles for sale by a private seller.  Nice little 4x4 with good power.  It has a 3.7L V6 with 5000 lb towing capacity. The SR17, motor and trailer weight a total of around 2,600 lbs.  Has anyone towed with a Jeep Liberty?  I definitely would add brakes to the trailer.  It does not have the hitch so I would have to add one. But at least I know it hasn't been used for trailering.

Opinions?

I've been towing 17' Arimas with 3.5L V6 AWD Honda Pilots for a decade now so I think you will be fine.  BTW all of my 17' Arimas loaded on the trailer have scaled over 3,500lbs so I think your estimate of 2,600 lbs is very light.  I've towed with and without trailer brakes.  Trailer brakes are great to have, but they add a lot of maintenance.  With a smaller tow vehicle and heavier load, trailer brakes should be required.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

croaker stroker

Quote from: raiduh4life on February 18, 2016, 01:53:19 PM
Croaker Stroker, is that new eco diesel Dodge 2wd or 4wd?

Mine is 2WD. Just got back from pulling my 27' travel trailer from Orange County to Lake Cachuma and back. Average 16.5 MPG. Cruise control all the way.  :party: (except through the traffic jams in LA)
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Arimaway

Quote from: First Cabin on February 21, 2016, 12:02:35 PM

I've been towing 17' Arimas with 3.5L V6 AWD Honda Pilots for a decade now so I think you will be fine.  BTW all of my 17' Arimas loaded on the trailer have scaled over 3,500lbs so I think your estimate of 2,600 lbs is very light.  I've towed with and without trailer brakes.  Trailer brakes are great to have, but they add a lot of maintenance.  With a smaller tow vehicle and heavier load, trailer brakes should be required.

Guess I'll have to put it on the scale one day.  The 2,600 lbs I got from the Arima website.  However I assume the weight they posted is for a single axle trailer, SR17 with a two stroke 75 HP and no kicker motor.   If you have two axles, a 100hp four-stroke plus a kicker, fuel in the tank, I image it can add up to several hundred pounds difference.

The specs on the Jeep liberty show it to be about 300lbs heavier than the Tacoma and with higher HP and torque also.  The liberty has a wider stance but a much shorter wheel base than the Tacoma.   I'm taking another look at another Liberty this afternoon. 
The other big difference seems to be that you can get a low miles no rust 2004 Liberty for considerably less than a Tacoma.  Guess the Liberty is considered a ladies car and the demand isn't the same as a Tacoma.

1987 Sea Ranger 17.

raiduh4life

Take a look at where the power actually is with that 3.7l.  The Liberty wheel base may also have the tail wagging the dog.  As for low miles, no rust and a cheap suv type boat puller, I tow my Hewescraft with a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.  I'm probably in the 2900lb range loaded.  It's not fast, but then neither am I these days.  I try to stick to 60mph as safety allows and can maintain that over the passes here in Washington.  I get 21 highway and about 15 towing my boat.  However, I live in the stix with little to no city driving or traffic.  The Limited model has issues with the blend door - pretty spendy shop bill to get heat/air working but other than that just fluids/tires and such.

san miguel

Picked up my creampuff on Saturday.  It's sittin at my buddies place in Petaluma right now cause we're still in Tahoe snowboarding.  Definitely could feel the boat behind me with the Tacoma.  Truck towed fine down the highway and backroads from Santa Rosa back to Petaluma.  We'll see how well it goes when I try and make it home.  Definitely gonna appreciate the full size truck to move the boat around.  Boat was immaculate and had way more accessories (2 Garmin fish finders, Scotty downriggers) than I was expecting.  Motor is cherry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tc808

nice, more pics please, didn't this boat have trim tabs too?

croaker stroker

Here's a useful website App.. The results are that the pulling capacity is less than published by the manufacturer.

http://rvtowcheck.com
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Arimaway

Quote from: san miguel on February 23, 2016, 08:07:30 AM
Picked up my creampuff on Saturday.  It's sittin at my buddies place in Petaluma right now cause we're still in Tahoe snowboarding.  Definitely could feel the boat behind me with the Tacoma.  Truck towed fine down the highway and backroads from Santa Rosa back to Petaluma.  We'll see how well it goes when I try and make it home.  Definitely gonna appreciate the full size truck to move the boat around.  Boat was immaculate and had way more accessories (2 Garmin fish finders, Scotty downriggers) than I was expecting.  Motor is cherry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congratulations.  Nice to hear you made a good deal.   Safe home.
1987 Sea Ranger 17.

Arimaway

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on February 23, 2016, 11:03:36 AM
Here's a useful website App.. The results are that the pulling capacity is less than published by the manufacturer.

http://rvtowcheck.com

Nice tool.   Thanks.   Looks like the liberty calculates to 4430 lbs and not the advertised 5000 lbs.
  GCWR was tough to find.
1987 Sea Ranger 17.