News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Gains from carb rebuilding?

Started by Jeff, January 29, 2013, 01:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Hey everyone, I'm seeking opinions and/or input regarding carb rebuilding on my 40hp Johnson VRO.  As far as I know, they haven't been done in quite a while, perhaps never.  The engine performs well and idles well when warmed up.  Of course the question is could it be better?  At the very least, I would gain peace of mind by doing this, but what else do you all think could be gained?  Efficiency, throttle response, etc?  I've got a quote to rebuild both carbs for about $100.

1989 Sea Sprinter
2005 Yamaha 60hp  ***Sold***

1989 Sea Chaser
2013 Honda 90hp *** 2020 Yamaha 9.9

woody

First Jeff

The KISS Rule.

Then the "if it ain't .... rule".

Sounds like your carbs haven't been abused, are doing their jobs and the money would be better spent buying Russ and me (and assorted other Rats)drinks.

Last, if you have to do it, rebuild them yourself.  PM Keeler if you need details, his skills are recent whereas my carb rebuilding skills are getting rusty.  But it's not a big deal.

Woody

croaker stroker

Run some Seafoam thru it.

This has been my theory for years......Works great? Fix it anyway.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

wedocq

2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

allpauwork

Another vote for "If it ain't broke......."

In my old gear head days, I just shot carb cleaner or WD40 down the venturi and fuel line into the carbs periodically to clean out the carbs.  I only tore the carbs down when I had idle problems, etc.

Now that I have fuel injection in my vehicles and one of my boat motors, I'm much happier.