News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

hose won't stay on kicker

Started by strokersquid, May 28, 2012, 09:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ak-angler

Glad to hear you're getting close. Shouldn't be too long and you'll be back up and running. :clap:
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Chuck Jones

^&^%$*$(*)....thought I had it licked.  Ended up doing TWO sea trials yesterday...went back in and rebuilt #2 carbs, cleaned out high speed jets etc.  Thought I had it licked but the second trial started starving out at 4200 AGAIN.  I brought along an old time die hard mechanic who's methodical as all get out.  He slammed the throttles open and it jumped out of the hole with no problem, so it's not hurting for gas when you jump on it.  That eliminates the prospect of float levels and jet delivery...ran great at idle and up to around 4K, then started starving for gas by dropping off rpm's.

Diagnosis....recently put on a new hose with squeeze bulb when I replace gas lines and hose clamps...installed the new T9 which hadn't been run.  Looked at the fuel/water seperator and the mechanic feels  I need an anti siphon valve on the line to the T9 as well as we'll put in a larger gas line to the 150.  We ran it with the cowling and carb covers off and can see that gas is being delivered to all cylinders until higher rpm....then the bulb starts going soft.  Brand new fuel pumps, so the diagnosis lies in the anti-siphon valve and size of the gas lines to the 150.  Hopefully today will put this issue to rest after the 6th sea trial.  Runs like a top at lower rpms around 3800.  Managed to get it to 5500 by sitting back there and constantly squeezing the primer bulb....gas delivery is faulty.  I need a drink.   :doh:
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Hydro-Therapy

Chuck you are having one heck of a time with this. You mentioned you changed the fuel filter. Did you get the right one. I had a similar problem and it turned out that I had the wrong filter. It would let some gas go threw and sealed up just fine.But the seals on it were wrong and would restrict fuel flow.Or you may have a defective fuel filter that is restricting the flow. Also is there a anti-siphon going to the 150 ,if so you don't need it. The kicker motors have such a weak fuel pump that there is not much chance of it pulling the fuel out of the carbs. 

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Chuck Jones

HT:  The thought was that the 150 was pulling air thru the fuel lines to the carbs on the T9 not the other way around....that air was backflowing from the T9 fuel lines, even though the T9 gasline has a check ball on it...that only prevents fuel from going OUT...when it's disconnected.  Air can still go IN thru the checkvalve.  So I just went and bought the anti-siphon valve to put on the fuel separator line that goes to the T9.  Waiting for the guy to bring me my bigger fuel lines to replace the old ones on the 150, clamp them all tight....then out on the water for what hopefully is the LAST sea trial....all this to keep from having to buy a new engine....but if this works, I'll keep it even though it's a 2Stroke.  It's still a fast motor scooter when she runs at the top of her game.

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Chuck Jones

Halleluja...GREAT day in the morning....happier than a clam at high tide.

I went and did all the things outlined in the previous post in addition to attending to the suggestions offered for fuel filters, fuel seperator etc....and am happy to report, this is the LAST blow-by-blow description of the problem you'll have to wade thru. 

It turned out that the fuel line the dealer sold was too small...the mechanic had a larger diameter line he took off a Merc...and the boat ran like a race horse all the way to the finish line.  Managed to hit 5600 rpms and no fall off.  I'll post the rpm/GPS/pitot tube readouts after I have a chance to run it this coming week.

I'm going fishing with my brother this Saturday....finally get some time away from the driveway and on the water.

Thanks for all the ongoing input and suggestions.  Truly and sincerely appreciated.

Chuck

Wyrguy

Hey Chuck, Glad to hear that you've finally got your issues cleared up. I had a minor 'wiggle' with mine last week too that was very similar. The original fuel filter (Raycor) supplied with the boat was waaaaay to small for my main. The good news for mine was, the mechanic picked up on it while he was testing out the motor in the tank & changed it right then.  :applause: He told me that I would have found out on the water as I would have noticed it was starved for fuel at around 4000 rpm.   :doh:
Enjoy the fishing now and 'Tight Lines'!
Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

StreamFixer

easy (although frustrating) fix for CJ.  When I ran into that problem, I ended up replacing 4 injectors ('tweren't cheap either).

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

ak-angler

Just for reference, what was the size of the line that was too small? And what size did it need to be?

(My guess is that it had 5/16"on it, but it needed 3/8".)
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Chuck Jones

AK:  You're exactly, precisely, and absolutely dead on.  3/8ths is the magic number!!  This might be a good lesson for folks who are replacing the bulb and short fuel line on their engines, especially the larger HP ones....I put my faith in the dealership to sell me the right replacement never thinking that they'd given me the wrong fuel line.  That $25 item has cost me over $500 in mechanic's fees, replacing fuel pumps, spark plugs, carb kit (probably needed those anyway) and not to mention 6 sea trials with attendant launch fees, gas for the truck, gas for the boat, over a month's worth of down time, cops at my front door from neighbors complaining about the boat being parked there,  my time and anxiety etc!!

Bottom line....that's old history now.  I'm good to go.  No sniveling allowed.   :dance:

Threeweight

I think the 5/16 is the standard for the newer 4 strokes w/ fuel injection, and probably the E-Tecs to. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Chuck Jones

Given the fact that the new 4 strokes are noted for their much more economical fuel consumption rate, they probably don't need the volume of fuel that the older  big 2 strokes do...which is obviously a benefit.  Out of curiosity... Who is running a 150 or larger engine right now?  If so, what is the size of the fuel lines for the larger horsepower 4 stroke engines? You're probably right for the fuel line size for engines up to 115, or maybe even 130....but it's good to know that there may be variations in  fuel line sizes for the engines depending upon horsepower.

The bottom line is.....it's going to take me a long time to burn up $14,000 worth of gas, which is the cost of a new 150 4 stroke with tax and installation.  I'll have my Viking funeral long before that.  Odin finally smiled upon me.   :beerchug:

Chuck Jones

Went striper fishing today...caught one....and crapola...the engine starved out again after running it at 4800 rpm for a while....once it started the fall-off, it kept doing it unless I dropped down to 3800, then it would run just fine.

Screw it...I'm going to buy a 4 stroke....I'm done with all this nonsense.  I'm going to look at the 115 Yami since all of you who have them have extolled the virtues of this horsepower for the SR19...and the gas issue looms large....I went thru a bunch of it today while only running about 10 or so miles....I NEED reliability.  I can't be relaxed if I think there's a a problem even though I could just kick if down to 3800 and be done with it...it's still not working right after all this work and time/effort/cost.

What's the consensus of a good price for a new 2012 115 Yami 4S?

StreamFixer

You were raised in SE Asia,  barter!!!  Let us know what you come up with.   :biggrin:

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Chuck Jones

What a guy....I give out a few personal details...and they come back to bite me.  How about a reply just a tad bit more responsive??? Something a little more on point? Maybe a hint?  How bout a whisper in my ear?  How bout you dona' busta my.......chops?  Sa' matta whitchu?

Bakit' hindi ng bigyang ko isang hint?  Aye nako'...

Wyrguy

Chuck, If you didn't have bad luck with that motor you wouldn't have had any luck...  :shrug9:  Not having the reliability takes all the fun out of being on the water for me. I can't help you out with pricing from here... but maybe make a drive up, we'll go out & slay some salmon and with the exchange rate, get you a good deal and a vacation too!?  :whistle: I think Odin is probably still smiling on you, but wasn't able to help with your motor...
Good luck,
Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

Chuck Jones

I'd love the chance to come up and slay a few denizons of the deep with you...and chase down a few after the chase.  I "fronted" $2K to an Alaskan company for the thrill of catching giant steelies on some remote river...can't remember the name.  They had a policy that you had to cancel 60 days prior or default your deposit (trip was actually $4K for 5 days of promised giants).  I had to have an emergency operation and called them 57 days prior....and they kept my 2K and wouldn't even refund me a portion of it.  Then they had the scrotem to call me the next year and ask if I wanted to try to come up again....sheesh.

From now on, I only go where I know the folks, or get referrals from reliable folks, and try to stick with knowns, rather than unknowns...and should something totally unforseen come up as it did back then, I know they'd understand.  Back to the original theme....yes, I'd really like to try and get up your way...and yes, I read the discussion on protocols for trips...and yes, I handle my share of the expenses and don't talk too much, don't smoke or drink on ocean trips....spit only on the leeward side, pay for broken/lost tackle, and bring a lunch for the captain....what a guy huh?  :beerchug:

Markshoreline

Chuck,
I just broke through the 20 hour mark on the new Yammie 115 and it is so sweet and keeps getting better and faster!
I paid 10.9k out the door including King County/ Washington's 10% sales tax, propeller, installation, controls, cables, digital tach and 3 yr warranty.  That was in March.  The shop was kind enough to store my old Yammie F100 on a pallet and then load it onto thesaltypuddle's truck for free.  (of course I tipped the installer for his extra help).
Good luck, man. 
Mark
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

Quote from: Chuck Jones on June 23, 2012, 11:05:57 PM
What a guy....I give out a few personal details...and they come back to bite me.  How about a reply just a tad bit more responsive??? Something a little more on point? Maybe a hint?  How bout a whisper in my ear?  How bout you dona' busta my.......chops?  Sa' matta whitchu?

Bakit' hindi ng bigyang ko isang hint?  Aye nako'...

Awwwww Geee,  Now I feel BAD   :facepalm: Mahlu on you---   :wink:

So If you don't want to spend the $$$ on new, go with a low hour used unit.  Just be sure to buy it from an area that does not have easy access to salt. 

I got my 115 Yamaha Stainless prop, 2003 (175 hours), mounted, controller, wired, cables for less than $4K in Post Falls ID.  Bought it during the dead of winter (January)  Did not come with gauges..

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

strokersquid

WOW WOW WOW do not think anybody can top that one !!! thats an outlier for sure.i would think about $4-5 for a used 115 and $1k mount and gauges would be a stomping deal.

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Chuckster....I knew there was something up when you didn't call me back yesterday. I am hoping that you had a good stiff drink and slept off your frustrating day....and realized that it would be worth having Mike take another look at your engine...... he did have it running right so it can be done.....it's something simple.
noteworthy..... Not too many people want to buy an engine if aint running right. Just my two cents.  John W.

ps...(pic) while you were out screwing around trying to catch a fish, I finished up my anchor nav light/gps/radar.
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Chuck Jones

JW:  Although I will call Mike to have him take ANOTHER look at this damn thing....I've about had it.  I've thrown so much money at this engine and replaced so many parts, and spent so much time in sea trials it isn't funny.  I'm fed up...disgusted...frustrated...out of patience.  I'm going to look for a new or lightly used 115 Yami 4Stroke....the feedback I see on the "repower" discussion is all positive for repowering with a 115, and the amount of running around I intend to do in the delta makes a good argument for the fuel savings; in spite of my previous statement about how long it would take me to burn up $14K in gas.  That quote was for a 150. The 115 would be less and also alleviate some of my arse end weight.  Patience has its limits.  Mine's gone.

strokersquid

suzuki 115 for sale in classified section