News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

2003 Sea Ranger 21 HT Honda 130

Started by tomc585, July 26, 2018, 05:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomc585

Jumping in with 2 feet!    Newly acquired 2003 Sea Ranger 21 HT Honda 130 and trailer.
Its been sitting for at least 9 years, uncovered and un-winterized.
My planned steps and others with your suggestions....

#1- I contacted Honda with the serial numbers and was told there where no open campaigns or recalls for this unit. (I read so many bad things)
   #2- It was not winterized or covered when it was parked. Luckily other than some mold and leaf composting a few days (weeks) cleaning should bring it back. Also, no critters did any damage to the wiring or cushions (which were stowed in the cuddy, they look like new).
   #3- The fuel system....I will need to overhaul all of it. I will be removing the fuel tank to clean it and gain access to clean debris in the bilge.
I will need to remove the fuel vapor and pump components to clean and inspect.
  #4- Since its been sitting so long I will also invest in servicing the timing belt before attempting to turn the motor over, I don't want to risk belt failure and cause valve damage. Are these motors close clearance? 
  #5- And lets not forget the water pump impeller that im sure it dry rotted and all the other obvious filters, cables and hoses.

Most would walk away from this project but since it has super low hours (I'm told less than 100) I am willing to give it a go and bring this beauty back to life. The tachometer appears to have a digital window at the bottom which i think would be an hour meter so ill verify the hours when i hook up some power.
  I'll post pictures when I figure out how to make them smaller.

HntnFsh

Very cool. Sounds like a great project making this boat your own. Keep us posted and show us some pics!
2005 Sea Ranger 19HT
2018 Suzuki DF140

Arimadrifter

Congrats and good luck with the project. Keep us posted.
17' Arima SC with 2017 90hp Yamaha

Mooch

Congrats on your diamond in the rough. 
You can dooo this!  :clap:
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Markshoreline

Good find, sounds like you are going to do it right! Be sure to drain those carbs and fuel lines and fuel filters before ever trying to start it!  Also, get some good fuel system cleaner in the replacement fuel like Sea Foam or the sort.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

sight unseen

I am jealous of your opportunity.  On my last boat, I went through a lot of the same, including a new tank and full fuel system rebuild, re-wiring the problems that had been created by the previous owner, and just taking care of a general lack of maintenance.  It was a lot of work...and money.  But, she ran so well and worked like I had planned. I took great pride in that old boat.  You can do it.  And the good part is, you Know it will be done, and done right!

tomc585

I am lucky in the sense it hasn't been touch by Mr. Plyers. Everything is original (is that a good thing?) and unmolested so trouble shooting should be easy.

Update: I uploaded some "before" Pictures in my gallery, still trying to figure out posting pics in threads without using a host.

tomc585

Quote from: Markshoreline on July 26, 2018, 09:00:55 PM
Be sure to drain those carbs.
Programmed Fuel Injection so hopefully they clean up as well

Yachter Yat

Hey Tom;  Was this the boat that was listed (seemingly forever) in Maryland?  I stared at that for quite awhile. Luckily (or not) my wife "inoculated" me against "twofootitis" years ago so my interest was mostly out of curiosity.  :jester: 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

tomc585

No, it was bought new by my girlfriends father.

HntnFsh

On a motor that has been sitting a long time I like to spray a little oil into each cylinder and turn it over by hand a couple times just to lube things up. Those cylinder walls might be pretty dry.
2005 Sea Ranger 19HT
2018 Suzuki DF140

Tunacious

That's the same boat I have. Your going to love it.

La-Z-Buoy

Congrats on the ''Pasture Queen".  Lots of cleaning there on "Petunia" (did I see that right?). That's going to be an outstanding boat when you're done. Looks like you've got a lot of the options, bolsters, bait table, dinette (?). Yep, you're going to love it.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Rokefin

Great score on a great boat!   Too bad that the boat had to sit like that - great opportunity for you as I'm sure the price was right.

Enjoy

tomc585

Quote from: La-Z-Buoy on July 27, 2018, 08:01:31 AM
Congrats on the ''Pasture Queen".  Lots of cleaning there on "Petunia" (did I see that right?). Looks like you've got a lot of the options, bolsters, bait table, dinette (?)
lol, was named after Nana Pat and yes all those options mentioned.