News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

The Cat's Meow gets a new Look..

Started by CanvasGuy, January 27, 2012, 10:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanvasGuy

Well as some of you know i have been working on another Arima Owners.com Member's 19' Ranger with Radar arch the "Cat's Meow"
It Belongs to the member mwmcmillan, Mathew Mcmillan from Neah Bay Washington... The site of the next big Butt Fishing gathering in May. :gone_fishing:

This Job was made in Stamoid Top Material A polyester fiber coated on both sides with PVC.. Top of the line Outdoor material also using a 40 gague Strataglass
for the windows..also top of the line..resulting in a real functional and highly visible enclosure. It has the center front window opening and full clear vision
up front.Also it has My two piece center zipper fold back Drop curtain.with Strataglass vision.and rear mooring cover.

MORE PICTURES IN MY GALLERY
http://arimaboatownersgroup.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=250;u=52

It sure is Great getting to work on Arima's for A living.. Thanks to all you Arima boat owners..present,future and past..
CG

Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

arimaed

CG,

That's AWESOME work. You are one talented guy. The arch looks excellent on the boat along with the radar. The top completes the look. One question? Is the gel coat a bit faded?

That top will be the envy of the group (except Woody's new top which I have seen. It is incredible).

Ed
1985 17' Sea Chaser 1985 75hp Mercury and 1985 9.8hp Mercury

CanvasGuy

Thanks Ed,
yes the gelcoats a little faded in the red but he just bought it and hasn't had a chance to polish it but it will clean up nice..
CG
Gary Smart
boatless  now
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

woody

Just want you to know Gary, a lot of your work I share with my Canvas Guy.  Like you he admires good work. He's seen your wrap and knows of it.  You've seen his "double pocket" approach.

Figure with you in the north and and Tony in the PDX area, it's pretty well sewn up as far as Arima's and and other boats go, especially if it counts on referals from happy campers.

Woody

CanvasGuy

Thanks Woody,
Your guy does some real fine work.
I like his stuff.. I would send anybody South :biggrin:
to him. I  am sure they would be more than Satisfied. :yeahthat:

CG

Gary Smart
boatless  now

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

CG...That's "TIGHT". Learned this word from my grandson. I like your work and this will be a perfect example for those considering top work/slant backs and radar arches for their Arimas. Keep those examples coming....the pics speak volumes.  Sincerely, JW
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

wedocq

Looks pretty sweet! It's gonna be hard to miss him in Neah Bay this year :applause:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

GoodDays

Tight, phatt, sick, cool, bitchin', Groovy, Far Out, .......doesnt really matter what the current lingo is.... it all Means   NICE BOAT !!!!!!  :party: :party: :party:

GoodDays Greg
Groovy Arima Owner ! 

First Cabin

That Strataglass interests me.  I hate the optics of the standard clear vinyl.

Does it roll up as easily as regular vinyl?  If it were used in the top piece, could it be rolled up and stored on the bow like the factory top?
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

fishing eagle

Quote from: ejthomp on January 28, 2012, 12:34:57 PM
That Strataglass interests me.  I hate the optics of the standard clear vinyl.

Does it roll up as easily as regular vinyl?  If it were used in the top piece, could it be rolled up and stored on the bow like the factory top?

All the information I have read or been told is the answer is NO. There are some differences in opinion but most the folks that seem to know, tell me never to roll or attempt to roll strataglass windows. I went with the majority vote. Check this: http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/168893-eisen-glass-vs-strataglass.html
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

CanvasGuy

Quote from: ejthomp on January 28, 2012, 12:34:57 PM
That Strataglass interests me.  I hate the optics of the standard clear vinyl.

Does it roll up as easily as regular vinyl?  If it were used in the top piece, could it be rolled up and stored on the bow like the factory top?

In a word...NO
it's much more ridged and thus I make up straps with snaps that hold the window inward along the roof
line strapped to the middle frame.

With a better quality clear you gain great visibility and loose flexibility
so if it's required to lay it down I would suggest a lesser grade and thickness
and just replace as needed. This top is set to go down the road.
he most likely will not remove it till he stores it in winter then he can remove and place in a building
with the other removed parts we want not to mold in winter.

Hope that helps.

Cg

Gary Smart
boatless  now

First Cabin

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like the Strataglass would be great on the sides and back drop which is perfect for my plans anyway.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

CanvasGuy

Thanks To All who commented, :applause:
Very Happy to share.. :smile1:

CG
Gary Smart
boatless  now

vxhatch

Gary,

Very nice!!! Looks top quality and can't wait to get my 19' SC to you.

Nick
2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman

CanvasGuy

Thanks Nick :biggrin:
You will want to use that StrataGlass on your Skiff top sides and drop I am sure
so I am hanging on to a sheet with your name on it..now..I figger just as soon as I see that 17' drop off Craigslist
you'll call. :biggrin:

am I close? :whistle:

hehe..Looking forward to completing that Chaser enclosure for you.

CG
Gary Smart
boatless  now

vxhatch

Very close  :biggrin:

I have sent you a PM

Thanks,
Nick
2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman

Long Trail

Congratulations. It looks amazing.
I hate to do that, but how much did you pay for the arch?
I have a 19SR and would like to install one. The more I look around, the more I get confused.
You can pm me.
Cheers,
Jm

Quote from: CanvasGuy on January 27, 2012, 10:54:30 AM
Well as some of you know i have been working on another Arima Owners.com Member's 19' Ranger with Radar arch the "Cat's Meow"
It Belongs to the member mwmcmillan, Mathew Mcmillan from Neah Bay Washington... The site of the next big Butt Fishing gathering in May. :gone_fishing:

This Job was made in Stamoid Top Material A polyester fiber coated on both sides with PVC.. Top of the line Outdoor material also using a 40 gague Strataglass
for the windows..also top of the line..resulting in a real functional and highly visible enclosure. It has the center front window opening and full clear vision
up front.Also it has My two piece center zipper fold back Drop curtain.with Strataglass vision.and rear mooring cover.

MORE PICTURES IN MY GALLERY
http://arimaboatownersgroup.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=250;u=52

It sure is Great getting to work on Arima's for A living.. Thanks to all you Arima boat owners..present,future and past..
CG

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

It was nice revisiting the Cat's Meow CG work again. Great pics /Great craftsmanship! This aught to motivate a few of us "Dreamers".

mwmcmille....next week if you want to drop your boat at my house sacramento, I can have it back to you by Christmas all buffed out. Don't forget the keys!  Nice job! J W
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

amazing grace

Very nice work CG. It is interesting to hear about the SG. I am having some clear plastic replaced on my 19SR ST. Not sure what the guy is using. We will see. Hopefully it will be servicable long term.  :whistle:

What year is that SR?
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

mwmcmillan

Hi Jm,
Can't help you much with the price of the arch.  The previous owner told me he had it custom made and it sure seems solid and robust.  It's sure nice to get the rods and net out of the way when running and having the deck light for early morning setup.  The previous owner that I bought the boat off of last fall moved to Texas and I haven't been able to contact him since the move.  If you need further pictures of the arch to set up your own design let me know.  Or if you are ever out in Neah Bay give me a shout.
Matthew

Quote from: Lebasque on February 22, 2012, 04:27:29 PM
Congratulations. It looks amazing.
I hate to do that, but how much did you pay for the arch?
I have a 19SR and would like to install one. The more I look around, the more I get confused.
You can pm me.
Cheers,
Jm

mwmcmillan

Hi J W

Sacramento eh, man am I ever jealous of your weather at this time of year.  I certainly need to get my act together with buffing out the hull.  Living in Neah Bay and not having a garage big enough for the boat is an issue as I never seem to get a dry day to buff it out properly and rewax.  Do you have any suggestions on how to bring back out the red.  I bought a Makita 9227CX3 7-Inch Hook and Loop Electronic Polisher-Sander with Polishing Kit to go with the "Meguiar's M4965 Marine/RV Fiberglass Restoration System" off of amazon as it seemed to get really good review.  It has an oxidation remover then a polish and finally a wax.  Probably just got sucked into some more marketing ploys.  The red is pretty glazed over so if you have any other ideas that'd be much appreciated.  I'll post some pics later in March when I find a dry day in March to give it a go.

Love old town and the river front in Sacramento, saw some people fishing under a bridge last fall when I was down there.  Do you get salmon running up that river?

Take care,
Matthew

Quote from: Liverwurst19SRSKIP on February 23, 2012, 10:27:47 AM
It was nice revisiting the Cat's Meow CG work again. Great pics /Great craftsmanship! This aught to motivate a few of us "Dreamers".

mwmcmille....next week if you want to drop your boat at my house sacramento, I can have it back to you by Christmas all buffed out. Don't forget the keys!  Nice job! J W