News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Windshield weatherstrip

Started by Rokefin, May 24, 2017, 07:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokefin

Has anyone come up with  good weather-stripping for the Arima windshields? My stripping has shrunk (1989 Chaser) and now there are huge gaps for water to pour into the window frames.....read some old threads on this subject but only saw "butyl tape" recommended.

Anyone come up with a good weather stripping source?

steeler

To seal the front window I used some left over round foam insulation.
I cut it to length  then trimmed it so that one side was flat.
Applied silicone and stuck around the frame and closed the window.
It has worked pretty well for me.  The insulation comes in different diameters
The best time to go fishing is when its raining and when it ain't

Rokefin

I may need to seal the front window also but what I am looking for is the plastic weather strip in the side window frames, my window frames have large gaps in the weather strip from shrinkage. I'll look at a window shop or maybe Lowes/Home Depot, but I was hoping someone had found a source/part number for the original or comparable product.  I thought about using regular foam weather-strip but wouldn't that hold water?

Salmon King

same thing happened to mine.
At the time I couldn't  proper replacement anywhere so I hung mine in the greenhouse for a week with a 10# Downrigger ball attached.  Stretched them right out.  But with good a few days they just shrank back too short again. 
I ended up using black RTV on the ends (yes it was a rather large space) and inserted the strip before the RTV cured.
It is now watertight.

I have since discovered Taylor Marine
( http://www.taylormarine.com/hardware/parts/screwCover/index.html ) and I bought new from them.
They will send you a sample if you ask so you can check the fit.
I used part number 51005 on my windows.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Rokefin

Thanks salmon King - just what I was looking for.

Zarn

My intermediate fix for this situation was to use what many folks call "200 mph" rubberized tape. It has been applied to all the outside windshield channel surfaces that have the rubber inserts. It blends perfectly, seamlessly with the alum windshield channel edge to edge and so far it has been in place for two years w/o any marine degradation. This product is used as "belly tape" for manufactured home under liners. I got it from a contractor that works with Clayton Homes in Albany. This tape sticks to everything even when applied to a wet surface. Looks good and works for me.

However at some I will probably bit the $$ bullet and give Taylor a all.
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.

Markshoreline

I think sometimes the leaks happen under the windshield and require removing it and laying down a new gasket then remounting.  Not a bad job with a convertible but on a hard top it's a major disassembly. I believe HemiGTX did that and improved his window frames as well.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9