News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Shakespeare ART-3 Antenna Tester-RESULTS!

Started by wedocq, April 18, 2017, 03:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedocq

I bought the Shakespeare ART-3 antenna tester to test 2 antennas I had. One was a Shakespeare 5225XT that was about 10 years old, and the other was a Digital brand antenna. The Digital was just one season old, but the fiberglass was broken when my shelter came down in a snow storm. I wanted to test to see if either was still useable.

Results:
Shakespeare 5225XT:
Radio power output when switched to 25 watts read just 8 watts.
The VSWR read well past 3. (1 is the most desirable. Anything under 3 is just ok. Over 3 no bueno.)
The receiver function seemed to be working ok.

Digital brand antenna:
Radio power output when switched to 25 watts read about 15.
The VSWR read at about 1.5.
The receiver function was not working at all. When testing the receiving function, a tone should be heard thru the radio noise. Nothing was heard.

Conclusion:
Neither antenna is working properly.  :doh:

I guess I better order one now, so I can have it installed by the time we head to Neah Bay!

-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Threeweight

Was the Digital then one that got broke in half ?  If not call the company, they have a pretty strong rep for standing behind their products.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

Well, on the bright side.....at least you know.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

BruceL2_Fish

One good thing he came over and out his new toy on my two radios and both seem to be in good order.   It was interesting my older GX1700 put out more watts than my new GX2200.   Both are connected to Shakespeare 5225 XP antennas.   
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

wedocq

Quote from: Threeweight on April 18, 2017, 10:20:06 PM
Was the Digital then one that got broke in half ?  If not call the company, they have a pretty strong rep for standing behind their products.
Yup, the Digital is the one that broke. It was good to be able to test Bruce's antennas so I could see what a good set up looks like on the tester.

gfakkema

Quote from: wedocq on April 19, 2017, 07:06:37 PM
Quote from: Threeweight on April 18, 2017, 10:20:06 PM
Yup, the Digital is the one that broke. It was good to be able to test Bruce's antennas so I could see what a good set up looks like on the tester.

Shawn, are you sure that you are using the tester correctly? Maybe you should swing by my place and test my radio as well, you know....just to be on the safe side, haha!  :biggrin:
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Red 22

Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

StreamFixer

Please note the big difference in the output and the difference in the SWR values

With the Shakespear there was 25 watts goin in, and SWR(Signal Wave Ratio) of around 3 and only 8 watts of power being transmitted.

With the digital, the same wattage being supplied to the antenna with a SWR of 1.5 and 15 watts of power being transmitted. 

This is primarily a result of the difference in the SWR.  SWR is a function of how efficiently the antenna handles the frequency being applied.  The larger the SWR the less efficiently the antenna is working (regardless of the power being applied).

The radio wave is an 'S" curve.  When the SWR is 1, the radio waves in the antenna are perfectly synchronized and no power is lost.  When the SWR increases (indicating increasing lack of synchronization) the radio waves are increasingly out of sync and cancelling the power of part of the wave.  Thus the power of the radio wave leaving the antenna is reduced as in the example data reported by Shawn...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

GregE

Hmmmmmm  i'm thinking the tester needs to be on the Arima Traveling Tools page

WE do have one, right ???   :wink:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

wedocq

Quote from: GregE on April 19, 2017, 09:40:34 PM
Hmmmmmm  i'm thinking the tester needs to be on the Arima Traveling Tools page

WE do have one, right ???   :wink:
I will be the one sitting at the dock with the "Will work for beer" sign in Neah Bay. :whistle:

croaker stroker

It is also possible that your radio output is only 15 watts. Manufacturers have been known to exaggerate.

Side note....   A "Standard Horizon"  amplified external speaker is one of the best upgrades you can do to your boat.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

ATGEP

Seems like a good thing for the CG aux to check during a annual courtesy check.

StreamFixer

I get the beer part Shawn, but what's with the "work" nonsense???   :biggrin:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

Quote from: wedocq on April 18, 2017, 03:25:24 PM

The receiver function was not working at all. When testing the receiving function, a tone should be heard thru the radio noise. Nothing was heard.

-Shawn

So you have been talking and not listening. ??

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

Pretty sure Tanya would say that is no different than what he usually does  :whistle:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

wedocq

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on April 20, 2017, 09:51:50 AM
It is also possible that your radio output is only 15 watts. Manufacturers have been known to exaggerate.

I got the same radio as Bruce's, and both of his tested at way more power!