News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Downrigger Ball Weight?

Started by Hunter, February 27, 2015, 08:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

Recently bought 2 brand new Scotty 1106's.   These are my first electrics.   What are the preferred DR ball weights that you guys are running and why?    12 or 15 lb?    Thanks. 
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Hydroman

I use 12 Lb,,  most of my trolling in less that 120" deep at speeds of 1.3-1.5 mph.  Guess I don't know any better, I have only used 12 lb balls because that's the mold that I have.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Diablo

12 lbs.
15 lbs. for 2100 series
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

BayWolf

Round vs shaped (pancake)  The weight is all about depth control. Kinda like drag on an airplane, drag=blowback which in turn makes accurate depth control difficult.  I use 1106's with pancake 15lb weights for salt salmon. Lighter weights at reduces speeds for Sockeye and Kokes.  I also changed from cable to fiber to further reduce "drag".  In a ideal situation you want your rigger weight to be straight down, the closer to that the better.  :twocents:
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

blue heron

I've never tried a 15# Downrigger ball.  When I had manual DR's, I used 10# but moved up to 12# with the electric.  My 72 year old arms have a tough enough time handling the 12#ers.
Don
SR-19
115 Yamaha
8 Yamaha

Salmon King

BW...
Where did you find 15# pancake weights?
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Chasin Baitman

2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

BayWolf

Quote from: Salmon King on February 27, 2015, 08:52:02 PM
BW...
Where did you find 15# pancake weights?

I got them at G.I. Joes before they went under.  I think I've seen them at SportCo in Fife.  They had a nice vinyl coating on them when I first got them, but bouncing bottom over the years got rid of that!

First Sergeant

BestBoats

We take a 2 1/2 in stainless pipe 12-15" long , fill it with lead and set a loop in the lead on top. It cuts nice and will drag on the bottom with less chance of hanging up. Works pretty slick. We also polish it and hope it attracts fish :bowdown:.
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Salmon King

2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Markshoreline

BB,
I'm sure someone has a formula about diameter equaling pi x R squared or something but how much do your dr tubes weigh?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

BayWolf

I read about those pipe weights.  I'd sure like to try them out. Sounds like a great idea.   :clap:

First Sergeant

wedocq

Uh oh...I am foreseeing a problem here.  :whistle: Most of the DR ball I pre-poured for tomorrow are 15 lbers, because I thought that was the standard.
Here is why I exclusively use 15 lbers: (I have 10 year old Scotty 1106's)
1) Less line angle when fishing deep. I have fished as deep as 260' down on the wire!
2) I can increase my speed without messing up the line angle so easily. I no longer subscribe to the "slow is best" for Kings method. Unless I am fishing bait, I am usually running between 2.5-3.5 mph.
3) I hate carrying multiple sizes of DR balls on the boat, so I just use the 15's even if I am very shallow.
4) It's simple math, 15 is 3 better than 12. :biggrin:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

BayWolf

Of course...you could always melt some down and make some Pipe weights!  :clap:  I've got to go pick up my new  kicker tomorrow, but I would interested in getting a couple pipes!

First Sergeant

Salmon King

I did a coke can full once...it was a hair under 10.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Kyle

I use 12's when fishing less than 150ft and 15's when I am fishing deeper. Thinking of upgrading my 1116's to the 2106's so I can use 20lb balls this year at Neah Bay. The last two years the Kings have been running really deep and the 15's worked but 20's would of worked better.

BestBoats

Quote from: markshoreline on February 27, 2015, 09:53:30 PM
BB,
I'm sure someone has a formula about diameter equaling pi x R squared or something but how much do your dr tubes weigh?
9-12 lbs. it's 1/8" wall pipe.
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Vancouvertechie

I mainly use 12lbs. Most of the time.

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

strokersquid

Last year most of the time the salmon outside the Golden Gate were in 65-85 feet of water. I was fishing free lines ( not on downriggers ) and we were running 6-8 lb weights then. What would you use in a downrigger at those depths ?

Hydro-Therapy

Man those pipe weights made me remember my first down rigger type system . It was a old steel window weight tide off with cord and a piece of surgical tubing with a barrel swivel stuffed in it for a release. Very simple and very cheap. But it worked. Total cost was about $1 and most of it was for the cord.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

GutZ

Whatever size you use, make sure to get some snubbers. Less wear and tear on YOU and your tackle.
It's always good to have a plan.
It's always better to have a good plan.

Salmon King

Quote from: Hydro-Therapy on February 28, 2015, 06:49:57 AM

Man those pipe weights made me remember my first down rigger type system . It was a old steel window weight tide off with cord and a piece of surgical tubing with a barrel swivel stuffed in it for a release. Very simple and very cheap. But it worked. Total cost was about $1 and most of it was for the cord.

H-T

My 1st was close to the same but I used an old PENN 209 with Parachord on it for line.  I clamped it to a broomstick and then screwed it to a flat board which I then was able to clamp across the gunnel just forward of the engine.  1 on each side and I had 2 DR's on the cheap.
I kept track of the depth by knowing how many passes the level wind made.  Each 1-way pass was ~10'.

2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Rokefin

A pipe weight I saw was made from a cut axle shaft... I like the idea of the lead filled SST pipe.
I have plenty of 10 lb weights, lead, and access to SST pipe so it looks like yet another project in the near future.

BB,
do you put the bottom loop on the very bottom or did you fasten a loop a number of inches up from the bottom?

BestBoats

Quote from: Rokefin on February 28, 2015, 04:21:11 PM
A pipe weight I saw was made from a cut axle shaft... I like the idea of the lead filled SST pipe.
I have plenty of 10 lb weights, lead, and access to SST pipe so it looks like yet another project in the near future.

BB,
do you put the bottom loop on the very bottom or did you fasten a loop a number of inches up from the bottom?
The release loop is at the top
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

wedocq

Hunter,
I really enjoyed meeting you today, you struck me as a good guy! If you ever decide to fish Westport, let me know, I got you covered! Man! I wanted that Big Buddy heater, but had very little time to contemplate it because Al snatched it up quick.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.