News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

License Question

Started by CozumelDiver, May 02, 2018, 12:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CozumelDiver

I've got a couple out of state relatives coming to visit soon and since this is my first year with the boat, I'm curious...  so me and my normal fishing buddy (both licensed) go out with my two relatives (who are not "fisherman") but would like to try to catch something... we bait the hooks, throw them in the water, then let the relatives "handle" the poles.  Me and my buddy just sit back and watch, there are never more than two lines in the water... and naturally we would not try to catch more than two "limits"

Are we legal?  Technically speaking?...  I'm assuming, all they really care about is the number of licenses vs. the number of limits, but again, I'm new to the area and I've actually known someone back East that got a ticket for letting his out of state buddy fish while he was sitting on a river bank with him! (hopefully the "Fishtapo" around here aren't THAT picky... and without binoculars, they'd never even know...)
1998 Sea Ranger 19
1998 Twin Honda 50's
Life is good!     :smile1:

Redhawk

The state troopers and WDFW are pretty relaxed about other people being on the boat without a license especially given how common it is to have other people who aren't fishing onboard in this region but it is illegal (fraud) to allow someone else to catch your limit. You can still do it, but 2 licenses, each consisting of an annual saltwater license, a Puget Sound crab endorsement, and a shellfish/seaweed license is only $209.20 total +tax, which is much cheaper than a misdemeanor on your record and a fine of up to $1,000 (as of when I last checked, so a bit ago).

Here is some of the legislature:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?Cite=77.15.370
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.380
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

ATGEP

One and 3 day licenses are pretty cheap. It would be a shame to only get half limits if you ran into a great bite.

Diablo

:yeahthat:
Have them buy the license for 1 or 3 days and help support our fishery. Maybe they will even catch something.
Good luck.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Peddler

Legally speaking, he who touches the rod must have a license.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

XO

"Legally speaking, he who touches the rod must have a license."
Yep... learned that one the hard way.  I reeled in my 6yo (at the time) son's rod for him during a family outing/picnic at a county park.  He ran off when Mom called the kids for lunch so I pulled the line in and took it to the picnic table.  The rod & reel was all of about 3' long and had a picture of a dinosaur on the side of it, but higher authorities decided that I was the person fishing it. 
1993 Chaser 19 "Dandy"; 2021 140 Hp Suzuki; 8Hp Yamaha

2002 Hunter; 2002 Suzuki DF50; 2004 Suzuki DF6---SOLD

"Knowledge is good."  Emil Faber

StreamFixer

I have heard, he who lands the fish (controls the rod at that point) must have the available tag regardless of who helps play it???

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Hunter

OK..... so while we're on the subject,  how many folks here change the names on their crab floats whenever they take their friends (with licenses) out for a day of crabbing?    How many folks here have ever pulled in a pot with their wife's name on the float?  How many folks out there have some awesome "shrimp sushi" on the water and then don't count those shrimp you ate in your limit?   Criminals...I tell ya...all of ya are criminals!   OK...maybe not all of you, but I definitely am.   Why just today I spent an hour going 65mph in a 55 zone!  I tore the tags off my mattresses and pillows..... And.... I copied all of my digital music and movies onto a thumb drive and shared with a friend.   Hope I sleep tonight.   

Seriously, what the WDFW really needs to do is focus on the real crimes that are going on out there.... Like the ones going on in these pics.     

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

wedocq

Quote from: XO on May 04, 2018, 11:11:14 AM
"Legally speaking, he who touches the rod must have a license."
Yep... learned that one the hard way.  I reeled in my 6yo (at the time) son's rod for him during a family outing/picnic at a county park.  He ran off when Mom called the kids for lunch so I pulled the line in and took it to the picnic table.  The rod & reel was all of about 3' long and had a picture of a dinosaur on the side of it, but higher authorities decided that I was the person fishing it.

This is pretty lame. The "intent" of the law is not to bust Dad at a family picnic reeling in his young son's dinosaur pole. The Game Wardens who write tickets like these must have some real small junk.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

XO

I agree Shawn.  I don't usually have a problem with law enforcement.  I have several lifelong friends in that profession.  Shoot, about 40 years ago I was best man at a cops wedding.  (He's a fishing fanatic, BTW.)  Virtually every cop I know does a great job enforcing the intent of the law, not the letter.
But this gentleman was more interested in exercising his ego than enforcing the law.  He caught me with a piece of fried chicken halfway between my plate and my mouth.  And my mouth stayed open for the next 10 minutes while he flashed his badge and pounded his chest.  He finally backed down when he realized how foolish he would look if I showed up in court with the "Barney the Big Purple Dinosaur" rod & reel that he claimed I was using.  Is there a judge out there who hasn't had to pick up behind their kids?  Basically I got off with a tongue-lashing, a "warning", and a spoiled appetite.
Jerks with badges make the job much harder for good cops.  Let's hope he moved on to another profession that doesn't involve dealing with the public.
1993 Chaser 19 "Dandy"; 2021 140 Hp Suzuki; 8Hp Yamaha

2002 Hunter; 2002 Suzuki DF50; 2004 Suzuki DF6---SOLD

"Knowledge is good."  Emil Faber

OnA

So my question would be, following the same logic, would it be okay to load a gun, hand it to someone without a hunting license, and let them shoot a deer?
I'm not preaching here, nor am not qualified to throw the first stone either.  Generally (unless witnessed by a Trooper), as long as the number rods equal the number of licensed people, it should be no problem.  Please remember that license revenues usually go towards conservation, administration and enforcement funds; something that seems to be shrinking on a yearly basis (or at least in Alaska it is).