News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Safer-at-home projects on my boat

Started by disposable, May 31, 2020, 08:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disposable

OK, this one I'm really proud of: I just finished sewing a new boat cover/tent. I've been working on this all week, during breaks in another sewing project (my wife and I are finishing up a fresh family set of backpacks for an upcoming sierra trip). I chose HyperD 300 denier diamond grid silicone-coated polyester ripstop (canvas/sunbrella would have lasted longer, but this was cheap, it dumps water amazingly well, packs up small, and was relatively easy to sew). I also used some cool new Loxx snaps from sailrite.com (I dread another project that relies on those BS snaps), a couple of sew-in vents, some #8 vinyl zipper, and some 3/4" grosgrain for edging. I didn't order quite enough fasteners so I'll add a few more in two weeks, and I also need a couple different fasteners for the door flaps, but I'm pretty psyched on my new boat cover (primarily because my parking spot gets LOTS of leaf litter) and look forward to sleeping in style during those really wet nights in the channel.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

disposable

more pix
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

disposable

last pics
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

Danno

Outstanding!

I can sew with a machine better than most men but I would never tackle that.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

disposable

thanks. i hear you about my job selection, i keep getting in way too deep... the whole "boat thing" is just one big intimidating struggle after another for me (being inexperienced and cheap af)... but at the same time i'm running out of bad ideas, so maybe i can settle down before the school year starts anew.
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

disposable

oooooh boy.... guess who got a new project...?
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

gtboosted

With the house and auto pilot. Might be too comfortable, don't fall asleep at the wheel  :clap:
21' Sea Ranger Skip Top

DevMah

Nice work.

FYI

The Lowrance autopilot works good, I use it when trolling.
I also have the wireless remote control for the autopilot

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

disposable

Quote from: DevMah on July 30, 2020, 04:06:30 PM
I also have the wireless remote control for the autopilot

Dev

Thanks for compliments. I am actually honestly worried about the sleeping thing, so i will appreciate all relevant advise. And Dev, i'm intrigued by the remote thing. i'll look into that.
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

DevMah

disposable

Hey dev- thanks. And also, what is your slowest autopilot trolling speed?
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

DevMah

Quote from: disposable on July 30, 2020, 06:50:53 PM
Hey dev- thanks. And also, what is your slowest autopilot trolling speed?

Literally idle On my 150 is 1.5 kn, I can go as low as 500 rpm with my motor and the pilot stays engaged in calm water.

Dev

disposable

autopilot is installed but something isn't working right, i think i have air bubbles on one half of the auto-motor... but i got to test out ANOTHER project today. pucker factor:10,000,000
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

croaker stroker

Cool ! Just clears the PH. Bet you planned for that ?   :clap: :beerchug:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tj805

Nice work on the sling !
I have one for my arima as well. The old owner had built the same setup and it's super safe.
The factory moves the boats around by those eyes.
Where is that launch at ?
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

disposable

Quote from: Tj805 on August 02, 2020, 09:01:59 PM
Nice work on the sling !
I have one for my arima as well. The old owner had built the same setup and it's super safe.

Thats the goleta pier.
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

Tj805

Quote from: disposable on August 03, 2020, 07:51:52 AM
Quote from: Tj805 on August 02, 2020, 09:01:59 PM
Nice work on the sling !

Thats the goleta pier.

Cool !
I wish the gaviotia pier would open up again .
Mabey someday .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

disposable

Autopilot is SO SWEET! i can punch a destination and boat takes over (arrival alarm is pretty loud), or pick a line and keep going, or just digital steer if i want to adjust my heading to follow the coastline. i've heard it's possible to follow a depth contour but so far haven't figure it out, but i'm pretty psyched. had a drill more holes in my roof (but after 60 or so, i can see it's become pretty routine) to mount the new compass, hide the penetration from inside, then mount some electronics in the cuddy and fiddle with hydraulics under the helm (doing it wrong twice means i got a lot of practice under there). getting the electronics to communicate was a little frustrating, as neither simrad's nor lowrance's instructions matched my screen output... but i got there, and now i'm PUMPED!
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

disposable

finished autopilot installation, from the driver's perspective.

Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

disposable

OK, and this will probably be my final project before i am dragged, kicking and screaming, back for another school year: my dashboard organizer. i made a plywood mockup for some field testing this coming weekend, and if everything goes to plan, i'll be making a second version out of glass-over-balsa or something.
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

Arimadrifter

Wow, you've been busy and you've done a beautiful job on all your projects! Not sure what business you're in but I bet there are a lot of Arima guys out there that would keep you busy! Thanks for sharing the pictures and well done!
17' Arima SC with 2017 90hp Yamaha

disposable

Oh man don't tempt me. Education isn't really doing it for me this year...

But thanks! I've been inspired by, and learned a ton from, others on AO and really appreciate the constructive tone built by this community.

And since we're talking projects... I bought a couple cheap shower curtains and sewed some roll-down shade curtains, using my existing Loxx posts (from the boat cover). They're light and airy so they dry quickly and ventilate well, keep out the damp on wet nights, pack into a small pillow shape when not in use, and keep my neck less red on the long drives.
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

disposable

And check out my next school-year distraction: e350 7.5L boxtruck/RV conversion, custom-built by a craftsman, then run down by a crazy woman... now to restore into a family adventure wagon (and yeah, it tows).
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp

Redhawk

This thread is probably gong to be the #1 most expensive thing for me that I have ever found online. I really want to do a full boat cover like you have but with a zipper door so we can still get in and out if we want to just keep rain out or to do an overnight and I love the shower curtains idea. I just need the money to put on some high bowrails and a fishing/radar tower from WhoDat with mounting points for a "floating" hardtop since biminis are either the right length and too short or too long and perfect height-wise. That'll be a sweet little adventure rig! You going to put a small lift kit and put some 26 inch offroad tires on her?! Can't wait to see what ideas you give me next!
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

disposable

Right on, Red. When you get to your cover I can't recommend enough the Loxx system and vents from sailrite. The fabric is an interesting trade off: obviously sail cloth/ sunbrella is most durable, but weight/bulk/cost persuaded me in the 'disposable fabric' direction. Remember also that you'll trap about 1qt of condensation per person per night, unless you have a plan to actively move that heavy air. I hear there's a hardtop mold making some rounds in the western states, hopefully you can pin it down!

If you do custom bow rails please share. I have dreams of matched HIGHER bow/stern railing when I get better at welding...

And as for the rig, I'm mostly focused on cleaning and repairing for now, but dreams are cheap... Suspension is a little soft so I'll probably get into that 1-2years out (and would probably add an inch or two if my mechanic thinks it's safe).
Reveille
2013 Honda 90hp