News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Switch panel replacement placement.

Started by amazing grace, April 19, 2013, 02:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazing grace

Possibly silly question, so be forewarned .

I know several of you have replaced your older switch panel's. Because the older hull original installs requrie cutting out the old panel switches to install the new panel. I am wondering about the possibility of installing the new panel inside the cuddy someplace. Like maybe on the wood wall paneling on the right as you enter in the cuddy. Thoughts?

Thx
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Chuck Jones

Inside the cuddy?  Seems to me that would be an extremely inconvenient plact to put a switch panel.  You'd want the switches to be some place you could easily see and activate them.  The panels often come with a horn button, bilge pump, navigation lights, courtesy lights and auxilliary switches for any number of features that you would want someplace convenient...why would you want the panel in the cuddy?  Most all of the boats I've seen rigged have the switch panels on or adjacent to the dash...Arima puts them to the right of the helm.  There's a reason they locate them there.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Markshoreline

AG you're right that the drain relief in the dash shortens the area for the switch on the SR19's.  I had to choose between making it flush with the high or the low part.  The high area will make the back of the switch a water dam and the low area will cascade water over the switch.  Not really a good choice for the larger plate.  If you can get by with the model that holds four switches it will make for a little nicer installation than my 6 was.
I went with the low mount and put a silicone bead around the panel before putting the finishing plate on.
I can see why you'd want a different location- how about on the face of the dash to the left of the steering wheel?  But then you have a hole in the dash on the R side.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

AG....place it where it is easily viewed and promptly accessible. If you are concerned about water.....fabricate or bend a thin starboard or acrylic "EYEBROW" over it. Good luck. J DOO
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

amazing grace

Thanks guys. The more I look at the boat and think about it. The more I like the idea. Typically I have the cuddy door open when I am on it. The panel would be just inside the door, immeadiately on the right hand side. Easy and quick access. Protected and and an easy install. Not sure yet, but will do at least the six switch  and maybe even the 12 switch :bigshock:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Seattleflyfisher

You have post pictures on this. I believe you will be the first to do this modification.

SFF

amazing grace

This idea came out of a conversation I had with the Marine electrician that will be doing the rewire. So I cannot take full credit if it does turn out to be the direction we go. It was something he mentioned as we were discussing the job. He has not done an Arima but is familiar with them to some degree. So we'll see.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

allpauwork

If you're intent in installing it in the cuddy, I would recess the panel so the switches wouldn't be bumped accidentally.  Heck, I've accidentally turned on switches with my fat stubby fingers just turning the wheel!

Markshoreline

What about under the glass along the fiberglass on the drivers side, longitudinally?  Would there be room for the switch panel to lay across there, given the width of the panel?

If you put it anywhere other than the original hole, what will you do with the opening?

amazing grace

Mark, that is not a bad idea, It is exactly on the inside wall of the cuddy, opposite of there where I am proposing to install. The only problem with your location is that if you mount your ff/gps right in front of it. 

My boat just has four toggle switches currently. I will remove the switches and plug the hole some how.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Markshoreline

AG,
I'm thinking about the fiberglass area below the driver's side window, just above the motor controls.  Do you think that is wide enough for the panel?  I don't think I made that clear in my last post.